Sponsored by:

Holding onto your car................

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
FYI, there is an 'excellent' tech article in the 12/08 Excellence mag on the M96/M97 engine. Really good over view of the problems typically associated with these motors [every motor has its own set of problems and the conclusion is that this is a good engine on balance - I don't want to get anyone nervous ;-)]. That said, forewarned is forearmed, or something like that: Required reading for those who expect to be running the same 5+ years from now.
After reading this article, I've concluded that the best preventive inexpensive measure for the M97 engine. Replacing the thermostat and oil filter to the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter and the Mobil 1 oil filter plus the 160-degree thermostat housing is a good idea. Does anyone else believe that it’s a good idea to implement the above suggestions?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Give them a call. I do not think that they are firing on all cylinders right now. A call would be better than an email. (take names!)
I actually heard back from both emails that I've sent them within 24 hours. The lady in subscriptions that I've been working with has been very helpful.

The reality is that there are several thousand subscriptions to go through. The company is making every effort to handle my request and dozens of other requests.

BTW - haven't received my December issue yet but I was told they were shipped from Kentucky late last week so I should have it in my mailbox when I get home today.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my issue last night and read the article (my first delivery in my subscription). Very good information and being that I have a car that is suspect for these issues (99 996), I too am concerned about my motor's longevity especially since my car is a low mileage car (relatively- I just hit 36K).

I'm curious if adding the lower temp thermostat and the filter in combination with adding the GT3 3rd radiator will be good insurance for lowering internal temps to avoid the D chunk failure. Does this have any negative effect on the engine control software? More specifically will the computer think the engine is not up to temp and run it's warm up cycle? As for the intermediate shaft, without getting into the motor what else can be done? I would love to change the bearings for the upgraded pieces but to what cost? Does the motor have to come out to replace the IMS Bearings? If these items are relatively inexpensive and proven to eliminate the many of the potential causes of failures, I’d be willing to have them performed on my motor.

Quick Reply: Holding onto your car................