Real life pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Real life pricing

I would appreciate responses from people who have either ordered or have purchased a 2009 Carrera or Carrera S and more specifically with the new PDK transmission.

In general terms ( don't have to reveal any secrets) what was the final price as compared to MSRP? Are you or did you get any discount off MSRP ( I would hope no one paid more) and if so aproximately how much?

The reason, I have a Carrera S on order (December build) and still negotiating the final price. Thanks to all that choose to comment.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the dealership didn't earn your trust. That's why you're still shopping. Keep in mind there will always be someone with a 'better' deal. It's a cycle that never stops.

Find a dealer with whom you trust either personaly or based on personal experience from someone else. You'll stop your shopping at that point.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default If car on order then final price likely not up for much negotiating...

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would appreciate responses from people who have either ordered or have purchased a 2009 Carrera or Carrera S and more specifically with the new PDK transmission.

In general terms ( don't have to reveal any secrets) what was the final price as compared to MSRP? Are you or did you get any discount off MSRP ( I would hope no one paid more) and if so aproximately how much?

The reason, I have a Carrera S on order (December build) and still negotiating the final price. Thanks to all that choose to comment.
By taking your order dealer employed old trick of "unhorsing" you. You are now out of the competitive shopping mode and awaiting the arrival of *your* new built to order car. You have given up your best tool for getting a good price, the abilty to walk away and buy elsewhere (anywhere) if you don't get your price.

Car will probably be delayed or Euro/dollar exchange rate declines in favor of Euro) and guess what? Prices will have gone up and the price of the car of course will go up too.

Balk at price and dealer can point out you had no firm agreement on price and oh by the way the car we *ordered* for you is here now and imply you are obligated to take it. You can resist but dealer will count you caving in to get into your new car. If you stand fast dealer will be very reluctant to order new car for you unless you lay on him big deposit.

Best to have price agreed upon before ordering and get everything in writing.

And for price you can argument no way you'll pay list cause you're a sure sale when car comes in as you ordered and in acceptable condition. Therefore you can offer to pay just a few hundred over "invoice". After all dealer is just a go between between you and factory. He's not entitled to more money cause car's not even in his inventory. Car comes in. You pay. He gives money to his bank for what the factory charged him, and pockets the difference. Quicker money has not been made.

Important too, that you double check order before it is submitted. If mistake on order and you sign order agreement you could find out too late wrong option(s) specified yet you signed off on them.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 AM
rickrsm
Intermediate

I just got a 2009 911S black w PDK, paid 2% less than sticker. Might have gotten a better deal if I ordered and waited for months, but it was there equipped exactly as I planned, i couldnt resist...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I have a 2009 C4 cab with PDK on order for European delivery in May, and I’m paying pretty much MSRP (probably will get some stuff for free). And I’m fine with that.

Generally, you’ll find two groups: those who are willing and able to haggle hard, and those who are either unwilling or unable to do so. I belong to the latter, not because I would not know how to negotiate, but rather because I’m not going to spend too much of my time worrying over $3K more or less on a $100K+ purchase.

Now, this is a personal preference and may very well be a minority view, but at least I’m consistent: whether it’s a new Porsche or just a dinner, I focus more on optimizing value than on minimizing transaction costs. As such, I desire a win-win outcome that all parties feel good about, and I also factor other components into the equation, such as relationships, service, quality of experience, economic proximity, affective responses, benefit distribution, opportunity costs, etc.; well, the whole enchilada.

And because of that, price-based cognitive dissonance ("buyer's remorse") is something I have yet to experience. As Stoppie said, you can always find a cheaper deal, if that is what you are looking for.

Now, from a completely rational point of view, is it unintelligent not to negotiate hard? Possibly. But then again, buying a 997 is not a very rational decision to begin with.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Sounds like the dealership didn't earn your trust. That's why you're still shopping. Keep in mind there will always be someone with a 'better' deal. It's a cycle that never stops.

Find a dealer with whom you trust either personaly or based on personal experience from someone else. You'll stop your shopping at that point.

Good luck.
Actually the dealer has earned my trust, as demonstrated by not asking for deposit on a specifically configured vehicle. I have bought numerous vehicles from him. In 2007 ordered a 2007 GT3 for under MSRP and I know this will be the case with the new car. Just sampling the market for the average discount under MSRP . Thanks to those that replied.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
rvklein
Racer

In that case my advice would be, "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
MartyB
Racer

Reportedly, the margin is slimmer on the '09 cars, and the demand will be increased for a short time until the "new" wears off. Coupled with the fact that you have been "unhorsed", as another poster eloquently put it, you are not so much in control of the situation. I too would have nailed down a price before placing the order, but it will now probably boil down to how much your dealer appreciates you and your business and whether they are willing to treat you reasonably under the circumstances. FWIW, after shopping around, I ordered an '08 C2s last January and got a full 10k off of a 95k sticker car, but things have clearly changed since then.

Soul Teacher - I'm usually down with your logic, but not so much this time. For me, "optimizing value" on a car purchase means getting the best deal possible on the CAR YOU WANT. I don't recommend giving up your priorities for savings alone. Preparedness is key - configure your car down to the last detail, know the cost of car and options, know the invoice, and sit down for a few minutes with a list of dealership phone #s within a radius that you are comfortable traveling and a phone in hand and start talking to the folks in charge. If you've done your homework, sooner or later, you'll get your price. Regarding the buying experience, I expect to be treated well at ANY Porsche dealership - if the deal is not of value to the dealer - he will say no. The sales manager at the dealership I dealt with was gone within 4 months after I bought my car . . . so much for establishing relationships. My local P dealer treats me like a king for service issues, as I knew they would, and I saved a fistful of money on my purchase. How can you analyze your savings only relative to the purchase price? $3,500 or $5k or whatever the savings is real money, regardless of the purchase price. I am a firm believer that good deals are always made on the purchase end - the selling end will take care of itself, but paying too much for something to start with will guarantee that your cost of ownership will be higher than it should be.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not consider any new car purchase for less than 10% off MSRP.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 PM
BobZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I would not consider any new car purchase for less than 10% off MSRP.
But if what I have heard is true (dealer markups less than previous years...about 10% now), that would not allow the dealer with what I consider a fair profit. With that said, I think that 7-8% off is fair, if the markup is in fact 10%.

Just my .02
Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
StephenT
AutoX

This is an interesting post. I have made a $1,000 “reservation deposit” for a C2S in the dealer’s next round of build allocations which he expects to receive in November or December. I have assumed that I would be paying sticker price, no more, no less. I have purchased several other cars from the same dealer (MB and BMW). The dealer is about five miles from me. I like the people and they have done a good job with service. I always feel like I'm being treated with respect. I’ll ask for something when I place the order but I value the relationship too much to shop another dealer.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
MartyB
Racer

Stephen, no offense intended, but with your purchasing mentality you should not only be treated with respect - you should be revered and bowed down to upon entry into the dealership. You are a cash cow, my friend - a wallet with legs. Would you feel respected to know that Joe Schmo could walk in off the street as a total stranger to your dealer and pay thousands less for the same car?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
DanJK
Racer

Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
StephenT
AutoX

Marty, no offense taken. I understand that I might be able to save some money by shopping another dealer and using that as leverage with my dealer. I just prefer not to do that. If I was buying a car from their existing inventory I would expect a discount. They (along with this forum) are providing valuable assistance in the ordering process and they should be compensated for that. This is not like ordering a Subaru.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a long and great relationship with my dealer and have purchased many new Porsches from them. In my view, the market discount varies from time to time, depending upon the model, time of year, supply and demand, etc. I always get a "good" deal, but that has varied from a $10K discount on an $85K sticker car to a very small discount on my current 997S when I bought the launch car (some dealers were asking premiums).

If you know what the market is at the time, then it should be easy to negotiate a fair deal. I think the OP is just asking what the "market" is now, but he hasn't been answered yet (and I don't know).

I also do not waste time haggling over the last dime - if I get a fair deal given the market (as I always have from my dealer), then life is good.

Quick Reply: Real life pricing