Sponsored by:

Real life pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Someone here posted about buying an 09 at invoice, and that was two months ago, things are getting a lot worse.
That was Watt, and I have a feeling he's built up enough goodwill with Porsche and Ferrari dealers to get whatever he wants at invoice. I don't think your average buyer could approach that deal (although if you can, more power to you).
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow five pages on the thread I started and some great information and exchange. All while I still wait for my C2S that is now somewhere out of the factory and moving slowly my way.

Chris, I have seen the prices different folks have thrown out and also know the initial figure my dealer has given me which I consider fair in that I'm in a warm climate ( with the exception of the occasional rain, and we need some badly) I can drive a Porsche every day. Evidence 8000 miles on my Cayman S in three months.

That said what is the average discount, again it will vary by region especially in December, that is being honestly offered on 2009 Carrera and Carrera S models. I know it is a loaded question by I still appreciate your response.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Average do you mean past, current or future? They will be very different #s,and since yours is a future transaction that is the one I would pay attention to
Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Never mind.

Failpost.

Carry on. nothing to see here.

Last edited by Likemystoppie?; 12-12-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Becuase it'll be misinterpreted.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
DanJK
Racer

Self-important much?

You choose to post on the RL board. To foster relationships and sell cars. And, as you yourself wrote, you have sold more than 3 dozen to members. Don't want to answer a question? Don't.

I choose to skip some of your flat out sales pitches too. I don't feel violated that you posted them though. I just move on. And I even bought a car from you.

No one put you to a water-board to spill your "inside information" did they?

I do agree that a "good deal" is in the eye of the beholder or holder of the check book.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by DanJK
Self-important much?

You choose to post on the RL board. To foster relationships and sell cars. And, as you yourself wrote, you have sold more than 3 dozen to members. Don't want to answer a question? Don't.

I choose to skip some of your flat out sales pitches too. I don't feel violated that you posted them though. I just move on. And I even bought a car from you.

I do agree that a "good deal" is in the eye of the beholder or holder of the check book.

Yikes Dan!!! wow.

Did you feel that I had 'sales pitches' to you, or in general on the board?

What I don't want and DIDN'T want is to come off self-important. That was not the intent of my post.

As such I've deleted it. I just won't win with that post.

We'll let the cards lay where they may. For better or worse.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanJK
Self-important much?

chris-i have to agree a bit here with dan. you need to develop a little perspective here. as dan says, you are placeing yourself on a porsche board, identifying yourself as a sales manager, and are making multiple posts regarding the market. as you have said, it has resulted in your selling 3 dozen cars to board members. let me tell you how it works-you have to take the good with the bad. i am a doctor, an internist who specializes in taking care of critically ill people. i also have an office practice of general medical patients (blood pressure, heart, cough/cold, infections, diabetes-you understand) i constantly get neighbors, my wife's friends, people i meet, etc asking me detailed medical questions about them or their family, while at the same time, they are paying another doc good money to treat them. i most always answer their questions if i can, i never undermine the other doc, and some of these people eventually come to my office and patronize me. i have been doing this for 26 years, and have learned that this is just the way it is. if i were you, i would develop a similar attitude. since you are choosing to do this on a board, you should expect that every member will start asking you all kind of questions about porsches-i have read many of your posts and your answers have seemed very helpful. the longer that you are here, the more people will develop trust in you, and more of them will become your customers. but you have to take the good with the bad-you might have to answer 10 questions from people buying a car from someone else until some other member takes note of what you say and decides to purchase from you. quite frankly, i thought that you were doing a good job with this. patience and perspective-you will do fine.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Doc,

I understand. You make an excellent and valid point. That's the price one pays for putting yourself out there for people to approach you.

Thus why I deleted the post.

Moment of frustration I guess?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Doc,

I understand. You make an excellent and valid point. That's the price one pays for putting yourself out there for people to approach you.

Thus why I deleted the post.

Moment of frustration I guess?
i agree. when you put yourself out there, you are in line to take on all comers. i agree, a moment of frustration-you seem to be doing a good job on the board though. there are a couple other sales people that are members also, and the only time you see them is when they want to sell you something. as far as answering questions and providing knowledge, zero. i think that as time goes on and you become a consistant source of information, you will benefit in a big way. more and more people will think-"i am thinking about getting a new porsche-let me give chris a call". patience and that will happen. happy holidays.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i agree. when you put yourself out there, you are in line to take on all comers. i agree, a moment of frustration-you seem to be doing a good job on the board though. there are a couple other sales people that are members also, and the only time you see them is when they want to sell you something. as far as answering questions and providing knowledge, zero. i think that as time goes on and you become a consistant source of information, you will benefit in a big way. more and more people will think-"i am thinking about getting a new porsche-let me give chris a call". patience and that will happen. happy holidays.
I'm already enjoying the benefits.

It was wrong of me to make that post. Just selfish.

Times like we're seeing these days isn't a time to lose perspective.

Cheers to you to Doc.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
If (but hopefully WHEN) the time comes for me to get into another 911, either new or used, Chris will be the first person I call.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
If (but hopefully WHEN) the time comes for me to get into another 911, either new or used, Chris will be the first person I call.
Thanks Tim. It's always (despite my dumb post) VERY appreciated.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
ds2k1
Racer

I'm having a diaologue with Chris right now about potentially getting into an '09, largely because of what I perceive as a straighforward approach by him on these boards, and because I know many others on this site have chosen to work with him...there's definitely a halo effect there. At the same time, I expect to get an excellent deal from him for the privilege of "advertising" here. I think it's a bit of a privilege for a sales person to participate openly on a chat board created with the purpose of allowing enthusiasts to share information about their hobby/passion. So with that in mind, Chris, my advice would be that you need to continue being very transparent in your communications with the people on this site that enjoy your company, perspective and knowledge. Sometimes, in the interests of preserving your credibility here and building good will, you'll be expected to answer some questions that may be uncomfortable or, possibly, against your best interests as a sales person (as doc answers questions against his self interests as a doctor). If you continue to answer them with complete transparency and honesty, despite the apparent lack of self interest, you will continue to see your good will shoot thru the roof on this site...which should translate into business for you. So when someone asks you, "what discounts should I expect", I think you should answer it, and answer it with complete transparency, even knowing that they might use that info to shop you against your competitors.

Just my $.02.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
am722
Drifting

The frustration is entirely understandable. When someone wonders aloud if they are getting a good deal, that signals to me that they don't exactly trust the person they are dealing with. If they trust Chris enough to get his sense of what a good deal might be, then why are they not going to Chris for the sale in the first place? Why give your money to someone you don't trust when you could easily give it to someone you do trust? For example: I just ordered a C2S from Chris, because he is here on this board answering people's questions and because others recommended him as a no-BS guy. Now, I could very easily have driven two miles down the road and ordered one from any of the three Houston dealerships, but I would still be wondering whether I got screwed.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I'm having a diaologue with Chris right now about potentially getting into an '09, largely because of what I perceive as a straighforward approach by him on these boards, and because I know many others on this site have chosen to work with him.......

So when someone asks you, "what discounts should I expect", I think you should answer it, and answer it with complete transparency, even knowing that they might use that info to shop you against your competitors.

Just my $.02.
You offer some excellent points and I agree with them completely. IMO, I believe Chris has answered most of those questions very candidly.

Sometimes the answer begins with something like "Well, it depends...." and I think some here may be thinking "OK, here comes the song and dance routine!" But in truth, it does depend on the situation.. If someone wants to know how much of a discount can be had on a 997 Cab in December, the answer depends on whether you are in Florida or Cali, versus Minnesota or up state NY.

I few times I have seen a Rennlister ask Chris how much of a discount can they get from him NOW. More often than not he will reply "Sent you a PM." I would do that too, because if he posts X% in today's economy, and someone files that away and in 6 months (if the economy improves) they want X% but Chris offers X% - 2%, they will think Chris is trying to screw them.

The bottom line is that, no matter what the economic situation, the elastic mechanism of "supply and demand" dictates most of the pricing and/or the discount amount, if any.

I am not trying to teach Economics 101, but sometimes I think some of us (me included) forget the "situational differences" between now and 9 to 12 months ago. If we do forget that, maybe we are too quick to automatically think that "they" (Chris and others) are playing a shell game with us and their reputation gets a little tarnished, maybe not in type here on Rennlist, but maybe in our minds.

< thump > OK, that was me jumping down off my soap box!

Last edited by gota911; 12-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Real life pricing