Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real life pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris and I have been going back and forth for a few months now (mainly because my wife likes to put the kibosh on proceedings). On both the '09 Turbo and '09 C4S I was considering, he gave me GREAT deals and very fair offers on my trades. When the market continued to sag, he'd call me and tell me to move since the values on my trades were slipping. No BS, no hard sell, just looking out. When I tried to get my local to match the deals (give them first right of refusal - I'm a loyal guy), they said it wasn't possible, even after I showed them the PMs. Tough luck for them...

Long story short, when I do end up getting whatever iteration of 911 again, it'll be with Chris.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

We are fortunate that Chris chooses to share candid comments with us. He pays his fee as a sponsor and after that, owes nobody anything.

If you ask a question that requires more color for an honest and direct answer, then anybody that chooses to make time in their day and expend the effort to post, is well within bounds to hedge their reply based upon the need for additional facts.

"Is it a good deal?" requires a lot of additional input components to provide an intelligent reply. Every potential deal is different.

I always find it fascinating, the sense of entitlement of the posters on the forums. Any forums. Like any facet of life I suppose there are the "givers" and the "takers". The "thoughtful" and the "indignant".

Chris has demonstrated he is a "giver" by his choice to participate in the threads. Shooting at him hurts the greater cause of the open sharing of information.

Chris, thanks for your time. I always enjoy your well thought out posts and appreciate your viewpoint. Carry on exactly as you always have. Don't change a thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me correct something that I think was misunderstood by Chris and others.

I didn't mean for my post to look like I was jumping down Chris's throat. Unfortunately, I think it did. I was just busting his ***** a little about his super serious email on a Friday! I think it would have come across a lot differently had we been sitting at the bar having a beer - which is how I meant it. It's not that I don't believe what I said, just that it was all a lot lighter then it read. I should learn, certain things don't translate well on bulletin boards. And I don't do the little smiley thing. I'm down with Chris, bought a car from him, and Yea - I think I got a "good deal".

Chris will be my first call when I buy my a new Porsche for me or my wife.

I also enjoy Chris's posts about the business.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
DanJK
Racer

savyboy - I sure felt like a "giver" when I signed that wire transfer to Chris's dealership.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanJK
savyboy - I sure felt like a "giver" when I signed that wire transfer to Chris's dealership.
LOL!

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK
I can understand that!

I feel like a "giver" every month I make BOTH mortgage payments.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
DanJK
Racer

Those who give, shall receive though...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what is fair pricing today?

There is no compunction in telling us how bad the "trade-in" values are, but a great reluctance to discuss how much a new car needs to be discounted to move it. Understandable from his position, but it is a fact; and a situation he created of his own volition.

How many of you have seen the post he removed. I did, and it was pretty awful.

To me, it read as I am a Car Dealer, don't expect me to give away my information, and best of all..... Trust me (because I am on Rennlist and here for you).

You can't have it both ways, either be silent and let people negotiate their best deals; but don't hand out selective (one sided) information and present that you are open, honest and trustworthy. One thing I have learned is that "generally" a person who is open, honest and trustworthy doesn't need to point it out.

Back to the OP question and see if it will be answered. What is a good price to offer in Today's market?

If I were asking the question I would ask how under invoice could I get the car for, especially since I have had Dealers try to rip me for over MSRP. We all know about the Dealers selling over MSRP, now, that the chickens have come home to roost, we (Rennlisters) need to know about the ones selling +/- invoice

Just remember if you don't treat them with the same contempt (or courtesy) that they treat you with they won't respect you, and will put their hand in your pocket, again.

Maybe the idea of an "insider" on Rennlist is fundamentally flawed
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Originally Posted by docjackson1
chris-i have to agree a bit here with dan. you need to develop a little perspective here. as dan says, you are placeing yourself on a porsche board, identifying yourself as a sales manager, and are making multiple posts regarding the market. as you have said, it has resulted in your selling 3 dozen cars to board members. let me tell you how it works-you have to take the good with the bad. i am a doctor, an internist who specializes in taking care of critically ill people. i also have an office practice of general medical patients (blood pressure, heart, cough/cold, infections, diabetes-you understand) i constantly get neighbors, my wife's friends, people i meet, etc asking me detailed medical questions about them or their family, while at the same time, they are paying another doc good money to treat them. i most always answer their questions if i can, i never undermine the other doc, and some of these people eventually come to my office and patronize me. i have been doing this for 26 years, and have learned that this is just the way it is. if i were you, i would develop a similar attitude. since you are choosing to do this on a board, you should expect that every member will start asking you all kind of questions about porsches-i have read many of your posts and your answers have seemed very helpful. the longer that you are here, the more people will develop trust in you, and more of them will become your customers. but you have to take the good with the bad-you might have to answer 10 questions from people buying a car from someone else until some other member takes note of what you say and decides to purchase from you. quite frankly, i thought that you were doing a good job with this. patience and perspective-you will do fine.
I'll second that doc. As a urologist you wouldn't believe how many guys ask me questions about their prostate health etc. not to mention "other" things. Of course then I threaten to examine them and they all run away
Old 12-12-2008, 06:50 PM
ds2k1
Racer

And just in case anyone interpreted my post as a criticism, it wasn't. In my few dealings with Chris, I've been impressed. Just putting my thoughts to paper. Mostly, just piling on to what docjackson said because it really resonated with me.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

DanJK - What did shipping from Ohio cost? I was considering taking Euro delivery or just going out to Ohio and driving it back...
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 AM
gray911
Instructor

Default Almost there

I found a 2009 c2 close to my ideal one, it is located in Florida. Best I can get is 8% off MSRP. Unless I can order one and get more than 8% off, I say this car is sold to me tomorrow!

Vic
Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gray911
I found a 2009 c2 close to my ideal one, it is located in Florida. Best I can get is 8% off MSRP. Unless I can order one and get more than 8% off, I say this car is sold to me tomorrow!

Vic
ray catena in nj is advertising $10000 off 09 pdk cars, but is it worth it to you?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
ray catena in nj is advertising $10000 off 09 pdk cars, but is it worth it to you?
If Ray (family friend) is doing this I would have to say that the economy is really in the s hole.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 983 Likes on 548 Posts

If you look at the Catena inventory, you'll see he has alot of 2009s in stock.

Did anyone else read the blurb in the current Autoweek about Ferrari sales? Global sales have gone from 600 a month to 92, they are laying workers off. It's a total blowout for them right now, 430 sales/orders are been cannibalized by the California, and V12 sales are completely stalled.

Quick Reply: Real life pricing