Sponsored by:

Resale Value - Tip vs. PDK

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Which markets are sales of the "tip" as strong or stronger than sales of the "manual"?
I did not state that Tiptronic outsold the manual in any country; you did, and that's what I responded to.

Tiptronics make up 25-35% of the US market depending on where you get your data. Do you think that means those figures are consistent for every market in the US? There are markets where the Tiptronic is stronger, and there are markets where it isn't. Point being, overall demand is strong enough that prices are in-line with manual cars; Tiptronics don't "suffer a larger depreciation" unless you consider the price of the option, but the same can be said for any expensive Porsche option. IMO the same will hold true of PDK.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Have you driven an early SMG car??? The early models were notoriously jerky and performed poorly in auto mode. BMW has since improved the transmission.
SMGII works as designed, and was not changed in the E46 M3 for its duration from 2002-2006. Like all other single-clutch automated manuals there is a learning curve, and automatic mode isn't as smooth as DSG or PDK. But that's not the point; like all other single-clutch automated manuals, there are enthusiasts that prefer SMG to a manual, as it is faster around a racetrack, makes commuting easier, and enables significant others that only use two pedals to drive, etc. Just like PDK.

That's just not true.

- Look at 996 pricing from '98-'01, and then compare '02-'04 996 pricing.
Go to AutoTrader.com and do a nationwide search on 2001 and 2002 911s. Average asking price for the 206 2001s listed is $36.0k, and average price for 259 2002s is $39.9k...exactly a 10% spread, which is what is typically expected for year-over-year depreciation.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Any difference in residuals b/w PDK and 6 speed manual?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Which markets are sales of the "tip" as strong or stronger than sales of the "manual"?
Germany. Most of Europe. North America is an anomoly as our market prefers Porsches with manuals over autos.

Strange but true.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Any difference in residuals b/w PDK and 6 speed manual?
2009 via PFS for a PDK equipped car is 1% less then a M/T
2009 via PFS for a TIP equipped car is 2% less then a M/T Turbo Coupe/Cabrio
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
SMGII works as designed, and was not changed in the E46 M3 for its duration from 2002-2006. Like all other single-clutch automated manuals there is a learning curve, and automatic mode isn't as smooth as DSG or PDK. But that's not the point; like all other single-clutch automated manuals, there are enthusiasts that prefer SMG to a manual, as it is faster around a racetrack, makes commuting easier, and enables significant others that only use two pedals to drive, etc. Just like PDK.
Wrong BMW changed the programing of later model SMG's to improve the shifting. Furthermore the difference between the two (PDK and SMG) is significant. PDK (from what I read) feels very much like a traditional torque converter automatic while actuality providing clutchless shifting for high performance driving (best of both worlds). SMG has been improved in automatic driving but still does not provide seemless operation in auto mode.

That's a big difference. It's one of the reasons Porsche projects much higher purchase rates for the PDK than they ever saw with "tips".

Do you honestly believe that if someone is in the market for a used late model 997 and has the choice between a 997 MK I with a "tip" or a Mk II with a PDK they will not overwhellmingly prefer the PDK and be willing to pay more for it? Personally, I'd pay thousands more for the later car.

Go to AutoTrader.com and do a nationwide search on 2001 and 2002 911s. Average asking price for the 206 2001s listed is $36.0k, and average price for 259 2002s is $39.9k...exactly a 10% spread, which is what is typically expected for year-over-year depreciation.
"Asking Price" please. You obviously don't know much about the current transaction prices for these cars. First gen Boxsters sell for considerably less than second gen cars the same is true for 996's. But hey don't take my word for it feel free to ask for pricing differences on the 996 or 986 board.

Want another example, look at 928 prices. That model had a long production run with some major model upgrades though it's life.

You will find major pricing jumps going from the 928, 928S, 928 S4, 928 GT, 928 GTS. The jumps are much larger and more defined that the year to year changes that did not have major upgrades. Not at all like the smooth depreciation curves you describe.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not state that Tiptronic outsold the manual in any country; you did, and that's what I responded to.
You said...

Demand for the Tiptronic is as strong or stronger than the manual in many markets.
If sales are "as strong" (as in equal to) or "stonger than" (as in greater than) does not mean equal or greater than (outsell) please explain what you do mean???
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Jim Chambers
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

"Do you honestly believe that if someone is in the market for a used late model 997 and has the choice between a 997 MK I with a "tip" or a Mk II with a PDK they will not overwhellmingly prefer the PDK and be willing to pay more for it?"

Isn't this stating the obvious? If mileage and condition are equal, the newer car will usually cost a few thousand more. I guess I could trade up to an '09 from my '06, but at a cost of about $30K.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Guys, I hate to point this out; but isn't arguing a little rediculous? I mean what's the point?

Seriously.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 PM
swajames
Racer

Spend any time in London and the majority of late model Porsche cars you'd see - and you'll see a lot - would be quite likely to be Tips.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you driven an early SMG car??? The early models were notoriously jerky and performed poorly in auto mode. BMW has since improved the transmission.

I have not driven a PDK equiped Porsche yet, but everything that I have read indicates that Porsche has none of these teething problems on the PDK........
+997

Porsche took a few more years to develop it and it's paid off - big time.

I still prefer to shift, but the PDK is light years ahead of the early SMGs.

Last edited by Rob in WA; 10-23-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost any other market, other than us. not counting Cayenne.

pdk will hurt used tip car a lot. and guess who's hurting the most. tips TTs. either 996/997

Which markets are those? I thought Porsche sold more "manuals" than "tips" in every country they sell in.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM
OneManTX
Pro

I read this with interest as a poor sap owner of a Tip Turbo...(extremely happy sap, btw):

Unless you are in the business of buying and selling cars, who cares? You buy it to enjoy, and it depreciates really fast. The end.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no worries, enjoy while you can, nice cab.

i have a cab tip, and don't think about resale, cause i want to keep it forever.

i take my daughters to day-care in the back-seat. i plan on take them to wedding the same way. i sure remember those smiles we've had in those nice early summer days.

Originally Posted by OneManTX
I read this with interest as a poor sap owner of a Tip Turbo...(extremely happy sap, btw):

Unless you are in the business of buying and selling cars, who cares? You buy it to enjoy, and it depreciates really fast. The end.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
For the most part, Porsche's with Tip usually suffer a larger depreciation in comparison to the manual transmission.

Do we feel that cars with the PDK will meet the same fate?
In my researched opinion, yes--however not nearly as much as the Tip experiences.

Quick Reply: Resale Value - Tip vs. PDK