Sponsored by:

Resale Value - Tip vs. PDK

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resale Value - Tip vs. PDK

For the most part, Porsche's with Tip usually suffer a larger depreciation in comparison to the manual transmission.

Do we feel that cars with the PDK will meet the same fate?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I doubt it, as PDK is a new paradigm. I am afraid current tips will suffer as PDK replaces them.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

PDK should be OK but nobody knows with any degree of certainty. I would not buy a Tip without an astronomical discount and even then, probably not.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
For the most part, Porsche's with Tip usually suffer a larger depreciation in comparison to the manual transmission.

Do we feel that cars with the PDK will meet the same fate?
My guess........no.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Demand for the Tiptronic is as strong or stronger than the manual in many markets. However, like other expensive options (full leather, special paint, etc.) you won't see much back from it; re-sale value is mostly dependent on mileage and condition. I don't see PDK being any different, and seeing M3 SMG asking prices right in-line with manual cars backs this up.

And PDK won't impact Tiptronic re-sale. Used 997s are selling at very different price points from new and are therefore not competing for the same customer.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Demand for the Tiptronic is as strong or stronger than the manual in many markets.
Which markets are those? I thought Porsche sold more "manuals" than "tips" in every country they sell in.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S
Which markets are those? I thought Porsche sold more "manuals" than "tips" in every country they sell in.
They do... Tip only accounts for less then 25% of total 911 volume. The new PDK however, is estimated to be on about 50% of the cars.

To the original poster, the PDK is lightyears ahead of the Tip.

Drive one and you'll see.

The PDK 2ndary market will hold it's value very well. Go drive one, grab a drink, sit down, and order yourself a new toy. Enjoy life, it's too short!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I don't see PDK being any different, and seeing M3 SMG asking prices right in-line with manual cars backs this up.
SMG is a different system and BMW had big teething problems with it initially. Early reports are that Porsche's PDK works flawlessly.

And PDK won't impact Tiptronic re-sale. Used 997s are selling at very different price points from new and are therefore not competing for the same customer.
Sorry, I just don't buy that. Whenever Porsche has introduced a "Mk II" version of a car the MK I's have taken a big hit. Look no further than the 986's and 996's for proof. Those improvements were a smaller jump than Porsche has made with the 997 Mk II. The brand new DI motors and PDK are huge steps forward vs the old M96 based motors and tip transmissions. I suspect that down the road you will see a big price gaps (larger than the 986/996 mk I to Mk II) between the 997 Mk I's and 997 Mk II's.

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
They do... Tip only accounts for less then 25% of total 911 volume. The new PDK however, is estimated to be on about 50% of the cars.

To the original poster, the PDK is lightyears ahead of the Tip.

Drive one and you'll see.

The PDK 2ndary market will hold it's value very well. Go drive one, grab a drink, sit down, and order yourself a new toy. Enjoy life, it's too short!
I agree.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought that the Porsche sold more tip's than manuals in Europe. I could swear that one of the Euro online mag's made that comment because Porsche expects the PDK to influence the American Market to the same degree.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

SMG is a different system and BMW had big teething problems with it initially. Early reports are that Porsche's PDK works flawlessly.
Obviously SMGII has one clutch to the PDK's two, but the principle is exactly the same, the market is very similar, it was also a relatively expensive option, there were no teething problems, and it has proven reliable in the long term. If you are looking for a barometer to gauge PDK trends and values, you won't find a better one.
Sorry, I just don't buy that. Whenever Porsche has introduced a "Mk II" version of a car the MK I's have taken a big hit. Look no further than the 986's and 996's for proof.
Depreciation curves are relatively smooth for all makes and models. In the near term the economy will be providing a much bigger hit to used 997 values than the introduction of a revised model.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I never said they didn't.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Jim Chambers
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Tip values (and PDK eventually) are a function of the market like everything else. Some, like me, want an automatic. There are fewer available. Also fewer buyers. It is a narrow market. Certainly the "stick" buyer will not buy one unless the price is so low he can't resist. The reverse is true for the buyer who wants the automatic.
While the PDK is likely a major improvement, I am more than satisfied with my
'06 C2 Tip. I'm old now and have owned and shifted over forty 4, 5 and 6 speed Porsches since 1968 (and a couple of automatic 928s). My tip is a joy.

And, judging from the year-old 2007 C2 with 6.6K miles listed below at $62K, the Porsche market is indeed soft!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Obviously SMGII has one clutch to the PDK's two, but the principle is exactly the same, the market is very similar, it was also a relatively expensive option, there were no teething problems, and it has proven reliable in the long term.
Have you driven an early SMG car??? The early models were notoriously jerky and performed poorly in auto mode. BMW has since improved the transmission.

I have not driven a PDK equiped Porsche yet, but everything that I have read indicates that Porsche has none of these teething problems on the PDK.

Depreciation curves are relatively smooth for all makes and models.
That's just not true.

- Take a look at '97-'99 986 pricing then compare it to '00-'02 (base model)pricing.
- Look at 996 pricing from '98-'01, and then compare '02-'04 996 pricing.

In both instances the prices are far from smooth as people are willing to pay noticably more for the upgraded models. As I stated I believe that a similar gap will eventually develop between the MK I and Mk II 997's and will probably be even more pronounced due to the major engine and transmission differences between these models.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I never said they didn't.
Here is what you said

Demand for the Tiptronic is as strong or stronger than the manual in many markets.
Which markets are sales of the "tip" as strong or stronger than sales of the "manual"?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Oh............boyeeeeee.

Here we go. lol

Quick Reply: Resale Value - Tip vs. PDK