Sponsored by:

PDK Impression

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PDK Impression

Finally had a chance to drive the new PDK tranny today...all I can say is damn...they sure have improved upon the tip. Other guys have written much more details, so I will keep thread short, as their content was 100% on the money. Also, as others have said, I did shift a couple of times, and the push upshift honestly did not feel all that bad.

My prior car was an M3 with SMG, and this also blew that technology away. Shifts were so fast, intuitive and seamless, that I drove the whole test drive in auto mode. Man, the car was nimble, new suspension felt as tight (if not tighter) than my upgraded springs and sway bars, and the new steering wheel felt magnificent in my hands. Bravo to porsche engineering. That said, still not sure that I would give up the stick, as part of the fun is being able to really feel engaged with the vehicle. However, I will 100% consider this when in the market in 1-2 years for my upgraded car.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great tranny for the Cayenne!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:54 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Cole,

When you downshifted with PDK, did the car match the revs (blip the throttle) like the BMW SMG?

Thanks for any info.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

yes perfect downshift not sure that the "blip" was as pronounced as with the SMG (which was perfect harmony), but it was great. Anyway, we mentioned, the tranny was so nice, I primarily drove it in Auto
Old 10-13-2008, 05:47 AM
welbo
Intermediate

For my test drive experience, yes it does blip and much the rev when u downshift esp in sport or sport plus mode.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I thought the same thing about PDK! It really does a nice job, particularly when in 5th at about 40 mph and you "punch it"!! Right down to 2nd gear with absolutely no lag and your are accelerating long before any (read anybody) person could do it with a clutch and 6 speed. Very smooth, very quick and far better then the Tip.

I do acknowledge that you are now techno rather then manually involved, but if it was good enough for Schumy, I'll give it my thumbs up!

My ongoing criticism of the Tip missing a gear has now been rectified!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

I went an drove a PDK equiped Carrera for the second time today ( the first time was just WOW) as I wanted to play with it a little more. I am even more impressed and glad that I ordered a PDK optioned Carrera S last month. It will be a December build. I have been a stick guy for over fifty years, legally and thought I would never switch to a sports car without a clutch pedal but I'm going to. I will keep one with a clutch peddle though. The PDK is not even a distant kin of the Tip, which is OK in my wife's Cayenne GTS as they included a 6th gear which they never did in the Cayman or the Carrera.

the PDK will shift smoother and better than anyone with a clutch peddle and shifter. In the auto mode it is truely seamless and you can override it with the paddles. In the manual mode the push to upshift and pull to downshift quickly becomes natural and again amazingly fast. Yes it does "blip" the throttle when you downshift but so smoothly. Remember formula 1 cars use the paddle method and none of them want to go back to a clutch and shift lever.

The steering and suspension is also much better than the 2008 Carerras ( and I was driving a base Carrera and ordering an "S" with PASM and limited slip. For those that dismiss the PDK go drive one and then re-evaluate your preference. It and the new engine may prove to be Porsche's finest hour. Can't wait for the boat in January.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 241 Posts

Porsche of Nashua had a PDK Carrera S at the track today and yesterday (NHIS). I did not go for a ride in it but spoke with a number of people (mainly instructors) who did.
Listening to the car go by was interesting because of the rapidity of the gear changes. I could also hear the car throttle blip during hard braking as it chose lower gears.
I think everyone who piloted the car said that it was very quick and 'selected' gears extremely well in auto mode. That being said, none of them said they would choose it over a 6 speed for track purposes. (speaking for the handful of people I 'interviewed' after their test drives)
Maybe one day I would consider a PDK but I have a long way to go in terms of mastering my 6 speed gearbox.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with f4 pit

I used to own an m3 SMG and that was good in manual mode but sucked in automatic . PDK is even better over DSG in terms of shift quality, and how well PDK can downshift from 6 to 2 in Sport auto mode just by stabbing at the accelerator pedal

Manual mode is also very fun since with three quick pulls on the paddle u can go from 6 to 3 in an instant and 3 quick pushes on the paddles brings u back again to 6. I think the 2009 911 has a better suspension and the bobbing of the front end is completly gone
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Casa - I noticed the same thing re: the suspension I even just put the techarts springs on my '08 "S", and the P-car front end bob still there a tad on the '09, stock, that car was phreaking rock solid when my lease up in 20 months, I am 100% getting the 997.v2 model
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cole 328 have you checked out Chin....great fun at sebring and homestead....
Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Yes, going to do that one next one of my good buddies has done it several times I recently did the PCA event at Sebring a blast
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Blackness
Pro

Porsche of Melbourne had a C2S/PDK at the last Daytona Club Race for people to test drive. It was on the go kart track in the infield. We drove it in the Sport mode and just let the car do the shifting. In my two laps I was mainly concentrated on the course since it was like a tight autocross layout. But, there was never a time I conciously thought that the car was in the wrong gear. It shifted very fast and I never felt it upset the car. I drive a 08 GTI/DSG every day. While I like the DSG very much, the PDK seemed to be much more refined.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The PDK is great. I was very impressed with the one I drove yesterday. The response is great (instant), and the blips is SO fast that you hardly know it happened. In general the Gen 2 997 with the PDK seems like a great combo. The thing that impressed me the most with that with the direct injection, there is way more room in the engine bay than I would have ever thought possible. The coolant reservoir that you can't really see in previous models is 100% exposed and could be removed without touching anything else. There is even room at the top of the intake and the engine compartment roof. Gosh with all this ROOM, you just want to fill it up with something that will make it go faster....
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know if the clutches can be replaced independently of the complete transmission?

Quick Reply: PDK Impression