Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you recall the ,"do you let your wife drive your pcar?" post?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you recall the ,"do you let your wife drive your pcar?" post?

I tell you what. Although I think it's a ridiculous question I'm at the point here I sure as hell would like to buy her her own!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eventually got so crazy, I took my wife sailing in the Adriatic this summer, found a deserted island, told he we'd swim (naked!) to the shore to explore and then left her asleep in an olive grove while I swam back to the yacht and sailed away!

Had the Porsche all to myself since July.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Speed
Pro

I would think you would be happy to have a wife who's enough of an enthusiast to want to drive a Porsche. Our 911's were daily drivers that my wife drove every day to work until she got a job in Manhattan and switched to public transportation. And she found our '63 356B advertised in the Excellence classifieds and encouraged me to fly to Atlanta and buy it. She drives both cars every weekend and I'm happy to see and hear her pull away. I only wish she'd help me wash them.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Landmule
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speed
I would think you would be happy to have a wife who's enough of an enthusiast to want to drive a Porsche. Our 911's were daily drivers that my wife drove every day to work until she got a job in Manhattan and switched to public transportation. And she found our '63 356B advertised in the Excellence classifieds and encouraged me to fly to Atlanta and buy it. She drives both cars every weekend and I'm happy to see and hear her pull away. I only wish she'd help me wash them.
Your wife sounds like a lovely woman and I couldn't agree more with your point!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

My enthusiasm for letting wifey drive the C2S on the street comes and goes. It took a big dip last week when she backed her wagon into my SUV in the driveway. "I wasn't expecting you to park there" Her mirror was prob not working at that moment. No damage to the ML but a slight crack in the paint on her bumper. She can hit all the cones she wants at autocross though. The RS is strictly hands off and the C2S now has 996GT3 seats and harnesses so it is not a very street friendly car anymore.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM
bbrc76
Advanced

I posted about a month ago asking about wives and girlfriends wanting to borrow the car. The initial reactions bashed me and implied I wasn't ready for marriage. Subsequent reactions were more balanced, with some people indicating they understood my reservations.

My car is a convertible, which I think is why my girlfriend likes to borrow it. As such, I'm seriously considering her getting a convertible (she is due for a new car about 9 mos) and subsidizing the additional cost of a convertible over her budgeted about (she's a teacher - hard working but not making much $) so as to reduce her interest in driving my car.

If I have to guess (I admit I don't have any hard data) those who felt I was obligated to share my auto with my significant other are probably people who got married relatively young and so most if not all of their possessions are jointly owned. This is not intended as a bash - my parents are in this category and have been happily married for over 40 years. The got married immediately after college, so for their entire "adult" lives they have shared everything.

For what its worth, many in my generation (I'm 31, so I think this is "Gen X") have approached things differently. I've never been married so I've accumulated assets (home, auto, financial) on my own and thus hesitant to share. For what its worth.

That all said, to each his own.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM
lgascoig
Racer

Originally Posted by bbrc76
For what its worth, many in my generation (I'm 31, so I think this is "Gen X") have approached things differently. I've never been married so I've accumulated assets (home, auto, financial) on my own and thus hesitant to share.
34 (also "Gen X") but married at 25, 10 year anniversary this April! When I got married we were both broke so that made it quite easy.

You're right that depending on how much you trust the person you might not want to risk everything, lawyers make money off of that. But driving a car? I mean it's insured what's the worst thing that can happen?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

I let mine drive it - she loved it!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
rvklein
Racer

I see his and her Porsches in our future.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by rvklein
I see his and her Porsches in our future.
Cool! Every marriage has it own solutions.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

It's not a 997 story, but I'll post anywhooo.

Wife drove my 928 a few times while she was wanting a Lexus SC430. One weekend while we were boat shopping on the internet (I was boat shopping, apparently she was looking at 928's) she found a car she liked.

A few days later I was on a plane, she had her very own Porsche and we didn't get a boat. I'm good with that, the boat would have cost me much more.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out her plate rim....

Old 10-11-2008, 01:24 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Check out her plate rim....

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:32 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrc76
If I have to guess (I admit I don't have any hard data) those who felt I was obligated to share my auto with my significant other are probably people who got married relatively young and so most if not all of their possessions are jointly owned. This is not intended as a bash - my parents are in this category and have been happily married for over 40 years. The got married immediately after college, so for their entire "adult" lives they have shared everything.

For what its worth, many in my generation (I'm 31, so I think this is "Gen X") have approached things differently. I've never been married so I've accumulated assets (home, auto, financial) on my own and thus hesitant to share. For what its worth.

That all said, to each his own.
I guess I don't get why that would make a difference. I owned my Miata before we started seeing each other and acquired the Porsche after the fact; she's welcome to drive either of them any time and I'm incredibly thankful that I found a person that understands my affliction for sports cars.

To each their own, as you say, but I think the quicker you get accustomed to sharing, the better off you'll be.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife's afraid to drive mine.

And that's just fine by me.

Quick Reply: Do you recall the ,"do you let your wife drive your pcar?" post?