Sponsored by:

TPMS reads 6lbs low on all 4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default TPMS reads 6lbs low on all 4 tires

My TPMS sensors have never been all that reliable and from doing the search, it appears I'm not alone. I reset the TPMS system (as per the manual), selected 19 inch summer tires, and still the system reads exactly 6lbs low on each tire. This is often enough to set off the warning lights & bells on the tach. I've verified with 2 tire gauges that I have correct pressure. Is there a way to fix this? My dealer tried once and failed.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I had the same problem two months ago and took the car to the dealer, where they fixed it. I don't know what they did, but the problem is gone. If you want to, I can go and ask them.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stumil
My TPMS sensors have never been all that reliable and from doing the search, it appears I'm not alone. I reset the TPMS system (as per the manual), selected 19 inch summer tires, and still the system reads exactly 6lbs low on each tire. This is often enough to set off the warning lights & bells on the tach. I've verified with 2 tire gauges that I have correct pressure. Is there a way to fix this? My dealer tried once and failed.

Thanks!
There was a recent thread regarding TPMS and how people with it were acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread however when I enacted the search function I found what you're stating to be true, that there were numerous problems with the system. I do think it is a great system when working properly however I hope people don't use it to replace the ol' tire pressure gage.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Sometimes if they have been low a drive will at least get them close. The dealer can go into the system and adjust the "bars" from standard setting to more "bars" to trigger the warning.

My car was at the dealer yesterday for something else but I had them address this while there and this is what the tech told me was done.

I will not know the success of this adjustment for a few weeks until my pressures are below the 33 39 partial load settings to see if I trigger the warning lights. FWIW my TPMS is always off by at least 2-3lbs per tire.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I check the tire pressures weekly. The good news is that this particular set of wheels and tires holds their pressure very well. I even cross check the pressures with different gauges.

The onboard pressure readout is always 2-3 pounds lower than my checks at the stem.

Yesterday, for some reason, the TPC INOP light came on. I reset the system to no avail. When I came out a few hours later, the light was no longer on.

So far, I'm not a big fan of this technology.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

6lbs off EACH?

Go fill'em Problemo solved!

That'll be Ten dolla!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

TPMS has worked quite well for me from the very start. It's extremely reliable.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
+1

on first set of tires, they were exact when checked against 2 diff gauges. had a little hiccup when the 2nd set of tires went on - reading ~2lbs low. but i it's been 4 months since, and they are now reading exact again. go figure.

claim it as warranty and get the sensors replaced. :-P
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
That might be true except for the people who posted #1,2,4 and 5 in this thread that was 7 posts old when you wrote. I guess in terms of a batting average they could in fact be described as "extremely reliable".
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that you have the correct tires selected in tire setup within settings. If you have 18 inch rimmed winters selected and you're running 19 inched rimmed summers, then you will have bad readings.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to Dan's comments I ch eck pressures weekly, but like the TPMS gauge to let me know if something is "funky"
Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

I had a sensor go bad on the back right tire which read flat. This was subsequently replaced though continued to read about 4 psi below. Months later, the left rear went out, flagging low pressure when in fact it was normal. Had that replaced at another dealer and now all tires are accurate. I am not sure what it means if all tires are reading low however.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the real value of TPMS is knowing when you have picked up a nail. The system alerts you to low pressure and you deal with a small problem before it becomes a crisis. If TPMS reads 6lbs low (like on my car) and sets off the caution display, I will either ignore the caution or turn the system off. Bottom line, TPMS is too valuable not to have operating properly. Back to the dealer for another repair attempt. Thanks to all for the info.

Stoppie - you'll get nothing and like it!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My TPMS started giving me a warning a day or so ago. Like others here, I have found the system reads 2-3 pounds below what my digital tire gauge shows. The low pressure warning only started coming on right after I went into the TPMS menu to see what options were. So maybe I accidentally set up a warning that was previously inactive. I haven't been able to find any way of changing it. As with many other aspects of the electronic systems, it is not a very user friendly interface to make changes. I was hoping I could re-calibrate it or turn off the low pressure warning (it thinks I have 29 pounds and 37 pounds even though it measures 33 and 39).
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Mine consistently reads 2lbs less than the gauge reading, but I get no warning.

Quick Reply: TPMS reads 6lbs low on all 4 tires