Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 AM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that the newer M-Bs are better now but once bitten - twice shy. That '03 really was a total POS. I never knew there were so many reasons to "Visit Workshop!"

SBS

SRS

BRAKE FAILURE

There were a few other "Visit Workshop" warnings that I have forgotten about but it was a laughable car.

The stupid logo freezing on the display screen.

The "no nav on cars ordered with Nav" for '03

My M-B experience totally sucked. The SA treated me well. MBNA could have cared less about how focked up my car was.

At the time the Lexus dealer treated me like a king - even though I was driving a very high mileage entry level car.

The Audi dealership has treated me quite well also.

More on point - allow me to quote from Bush himself:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me ----- uhhhh you can't get fooled again."

No M-B really moves me right now. The only new car I'm interested in is the GT-R.

If you put a gun to my head and said you have to buy a new M-B perhaps a C63 would be the one but it isn't 40K better than my S4 IMO.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Got my A3 primarily for my wife about 2 years ago. It's been great, only a couple very minor problems.

About 24k, the car really squirts through traffic, good torque at low rpm, and the DSG is still great.
I can easily drive the car near 10/10ths with DSG and mild understeer that's easily modulated.

Plus it's a very handy size, great mileage, and a small car in the Audi wrapper gets attention.

Thought about chipping it (as I've done with 1.8Ts before), but it works fine as it is.....

The A5 is beautiful, and the R8 is just striking, they're on a roll....
Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
False. You compare entry level to entry level. Then the next level to the next level. That keeps the playing field level.
If you want to compare entry level? Well the entry lvl c class is the C180
C 180 KOMPRESSOR 4-cylinder 156 hp 230 Nm

So if that's your arguement; a Z06 Corvette should be compared to a C2S 911 Coupe? (when ALL the mag's are comparing it to the Turbo? So they're wrong?)
False, I have seen the c2s compared to the z06 many times, exactly due to the price point.

Also a z06/c2s comparo is not exactly the same as a a class audi vs / c class merc. In any comparison like this the car magazines in Europe (AutoMotorsport etc) would choose similarly priced models, not arbitrary 'levels'.

So the car mags are not wrong, you are...

See what I'm say'n?
no
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Red face

Originally Posted by Matias_S
If you want to compare entry level? Well the entry lvl c class is the C180
C 180 KOMPRESSOR 4-cylinder 156 hp 230 Nm

False, I have seen the c2s compared to the z06 many times, exactly due to the price point.

Also a z06/c2s comparo is not exactly the same as a a class audi vs / c class merc. In any comparison like this the car magazines in Europe (AutoMotorsport etc) would choose similarly priced models, not arbitrary 'levels'.

So the car mags are not wrong, you are...

no
Well here in the United States we DON'T have the OLD Kompressor engine in the new C; maybe for your Country, but not here. So you might be right over where you are.

However, you don't compare cars based on price point. (not from the manurfactors side) they compare to the actual target market for THAT car.

Here in the states the Mag's (and all over the rennlist and 6speedonline.com) have compared the Z06 to the 997Turbo. Why you ask? Because they're both in the similar performance. Don't believe me? www.google.com- check it out.

Just like the NEW controversy over the NISSAN GT-R; it's been pinned against the 997T AND the Z06. But according to you that's wrong -because of price- but you're missing the point. That's not what the majority of comparo's are up against.

I've even seen the Z06 vs the GT2 or GT-R vs GT2. It's "rank" of car againts "rank" of car.

But again.......if you insist.........by all means. knock yourself out.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by lig
I understand that the newer M-Bs are better now but once bitten - twice shy. That '03 really was a total POS. I never knew there were so many reasons to "Visit Workshop!"

SBS

SRS

BRAKE FAILURE

There were a few other "Visit Workshop" warnings that I have forgotten about but it was a laughable car.

The stupid logo freezing on the display screen.

The "no nav on cars ordered with Nav" for '03

My M-B experience totally sucked. The SA treated me well. MBNA could have cared less about how focked up my car was.

At the time the Lexus dealer treated me like a king - even though I was driving a very high mileage entry level car.

The Audi dealership has treated me quite well also.

More on point - allow me to quote from Bush himself:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me ----- uhhhh you can't get fooled again."

No M-B really moves me right now. The only new car I'm interested in is the GT-R.

If you put a gun to my head and said you have to buy a new M-B perhaps a C63 would be the one but it isn't 40K better than my S4 IMO.
I completely understand. I've been with MB since 2002; I don't even recognize the company anymore- NOW- they're all about customer service. The have a very low tolerance for bad customer service. Worse- if the local dealer insists on giving you bad service they're doing the Brand a disservice.

Mercedes has changed light-years since you were a client. It's a shame a decent sales person and dealership can't relay that message.

On another note; you think you were turned off by the old MB service; go experience the Nissan experience.

Not only will the car cost a fortune to maintain-according to Nissan- good luck having intelligent conversations with the SA about the car.

Talk to Chris in Cali here on RL; he was turned off by Nissan experience completely.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Ah, they're comparing the Audi with the big engine to the competition with the small engine. Seems shady to me...

As for the commercial, it was...just a commercial.
This is getting confusing. Just to clarify, the fine print of the ad states the following (I'll try not to have any typos this time):

"Audi of America, Inc. defines class as automatic transmission versions of the 2009 Audi 2.0T quattro, and the 2008 BMW 328xi, Mercedes-Benz C300 4matic and Lexus IS250 AWD. "Biggest" based on manufacturer published dimensions. "Fastest" based on independent, AMCI Certified 0-60 mph testing. "Most fuel efficient" based on EPA highway fuel economy estimates for each model; 27 highway mpg for A4 2.0T quattro automatic. Your mileage may vary."

I can't speak to the validity of the claims, just to the claim itself. Now, IMO that seems to me like they are comparing their small engine to the competitors small engines.

All I know is that in the past 3 years I tried BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles during 3 different shopping experiences. I ended up buying 4 different Audis because I liked them better. I'm sure that everyone wouldn't have made the decisions as me because we all have different tastes, but I've been very happy with Audis (except for one A6, which Audi just helped me to replace with another A6) and that is all that really matters to me. As to the new A4, I think its a great car for what it is. In fact, I drove the 2009 Audi 2.0T to work today. IMO its a definite improvement on the old A4. Much more A6-like in that it has a smoother ride, better interior, and more room inside.

As for the commercial, I liked it.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
lig
Racer

Mercedes has changed light-years since you were a client. It's a shame a decent sales person and dealership can't relay that message.

On another note; you think you were turned off by the old MB service; go experience the Nissan experience.
Truthfully it wasn't the dealer or the service manager that turned me off to the marque - it was the car itself and the whole "let's beta test all this new technology on our launch customers for the W211"

All my buds with W210s are extremely pleased. My brother's '04 SL500 has been a little troublesome but not to the extent that my W211 was.

I haven't had a Nissan for quite a while so I can't speak to the ownership experience there.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not only will the car cost a fortune to maintain-according to Nissan- good luck having intelligent conversations with the SA about the car.

Talk to Chris in Cali here on RL; he was turned off by Nissan experience completely.
Nissan are a bunch of bumbling fools... I've given them 3 chances and they struck out all three times.

#1 - Deciding between an Evo and 350Z in 2003. Evo @ sticker, 350Z @ $10K over ("It's very limited") = FAIL
#2 - Considered a 350Z as a DD when I had my 911. Too bad they tried to lease me a 350Z for 335i Coupe money.
#3 - The final straw. I was on the the pre-order list for the GT-R. I got the call about coming in to spec it, etc. I got blown off when I went in. So a couple months later, the GM calls me and asks if I'm still interested. I asked, "What's the markup?" He said, "$28,000." When I asked WTF, he said it's to cover their certification, special gear, etc.

Nissan would have been 100x smarter if they'd sold the GT-R through Infiniti. My customer service experience with my FX45 was stellar - the best so far of any company, short of how well Aston treated me when I was testing the Vantage.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by lig
Truthfully it wasn't the dealer or the service manager that turned me off to the marque - it was the car itself and the whole "let's beta test all this new technology on our launch customers for the W211"

Wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard that remark.

Well, if you do see a car that might turn your fancy; the cars have come leaps and bounds.

Back in 03, MB was ranked 25th overall with JDPOWERS.

Now they're ranked 4th. Target Goal is #1 by '10. That means they gotta push Porsche out of that seat. LOL

Quick Reply: Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote