Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cope
Typo. It happens.
Interestingly, I've seen it before. Both the 330 number and the 4 matic.

mb ISN'T offering awd in the C350 unlike the 07 model.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 AM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cope
You have to read the fine print. They compare it to the 328xi, C330 4matic, and Lexus IS250 AWD.
I had the opportunity to drive the new B8 A4 3.2L Quattro at Infineon/Sears Point Raceway. As far as the nose heavy comments go, the engine actually now sits further back in the engine bay, and the quattro is now set at 40% front / 60% rear. This made a world of difference over the B7 A4 2.0T Q that I used to drive. On the track, the B8 A4 felt balanced and smooth with plenty of grip and only slight understeer at the limit.

On the autocross, I drove the 328xi, C class 4matic, IS250 AWD and the A4Q. Of the above cars, the A4Q had the best handling. The C class is just a flat out understeering, underpowered, heavy car. The IS felt nimble, but still had a lot of understeer. Furthermore, the traction control was very intrusive. The 328ix handled well but still had more understeer and felt less powerful than the A4.

In terms of interiors, the A4 hands down had the best interior with the IS coming in second, IMHO. The A4 also had the most leg room in the back. I would imagine that, with the 2.0T engine, the new A4Q should handle even better.

I've owned several Audis over the years and only one let me down - a 1990 Audi 90 FWD that blew an auto tranny. Otherwise, they've been reliable for me (B5 S4 2.7TT, C5 A6 4.2, B7 A4 Avant 2.0TQ).
Old 09-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by andre5
I had the opportunity to drive the new B8 A4 3.2L Quattro at Infineon/Sears Point Raceway. As far as the nose heavy comments go, the engine actually now sits further back in the engine bay, and the quattro is now set at 40% front / 60% rear. This made a world of difference over the B7 A4 2.0T Q that I used to drive. On the track, the B8 A4 felt balanced and smooth with plenty of grip and only slight understeer at the limit.

On the autocross, I drove the 328xi, C class 4matic, IS250 AWD and the A4Q. Of the above cars, the A4Q had the best handling. The C class is just a flat out understeering, underpowered, heavy car. The IS felt nimble, but still had a lot of understeer. Furthermore, the traction control was very intrusive. The 328ix handled well but still had more understeer and felt less powerful than the A4.

In terms of interiors, the A4 hands down had the best interior with the IS coming in second, IMHO. The A4 also had the most leg room in the back. I would imagine that, with the 2.0T engine, the new A4Q should handle even better.

I've owned several Audis over the years and only one let me down - a 1990 Audi 90 FWD that blew an auto tranny. Otherwise, they've been reliable for me (B5 S4 2.7TT, C5 A6 4.2, B7 A4 Avant 2.0TQ).
Lame comparo for engine sizes.

It should have been the 2.0t quattro vs C300 4Matic.

Want the bigger 3.2 to go up against the C350. That's a nice car!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm on my 5th Audi...this time an A3 S-line...best one so far...and I have never had any reliability issues. None...I know others that have, i guess I've been lucky. But in Ohio, you're crazy not to have a Quattro IMHO.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by bgiere
I'm on my 5th Audi...this time an A3 S-line...best one so far...and I have never had any reliability issues. None...I know others that have, i guess I've been lucky. But in Ohio, you're crazy not to have a Quattro IMHO.
would you stop it already? you sound like one of those drug pushers........"come on, you KNOW everyone's doing it!"

I've got an 07 E350 Sport RWD-

That car is fantastic in the snow. Only storm it didn't do well was the ice storm in april. No ****. Even the state plow trucks got stuck.

AWD is mass paranoia!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:39 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove the s5 on a couple occasions. Beautiful car inside and out but front-heavy and not as spry as the c2s. Now the r8 is a totally different species, pure sex. Would consider that for my next car when the prices aren't so outrageous.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Lame comparo for engine sizes.

It should have been the 2.0t quattro vs C300 4Matic.

Want the bigger 3.2 to go up against the C350. That's a nice car!!
Why compare a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder? Besides, the 2.0T would have more of a weight and handling advantage. Power wise, it wouldn't surprise me if the 2.0T felt stronger than the C300 V6.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
greenie
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997, esq
I have owned an Audi A4 (3.0) and have to say my experience with the car and the company has been awful. In my experience, they have failed to stand behind their product and honor their warranty obligations.

Even putting aside my personal concerns, there are a number of other concerns with their cars ---- (1) they tend to be nose heavy; (2) they depreciate extremely fast (particularly the performance cars RS4 and S4s, etc.), so your cost of ownership is much higher than a comparable BMW; and (3) their cars tend not to be particularly reliable, and repair costs are very high. On the plus side, I think Audi's interiors are best in class, and usually a notch above BMW.

If I had to do it again, I would get a Bimmer or a Japanese car (Infinity, Lexus, etc.).
DING* Bad experience with dealer AND manufacturer. Model change 04 A8L drove me up a wall with no help at all. Dumped it and havent looked back. Audi hasnt found the right formula to sell cars in the states.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Better quality version of the cool commercial at audiusa.com
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This post started with "For more than a decade, i've been with MB, BMW, and Porsche". And then went on to the Audi commercial and it's impact etc. That starting sentence describes me/my wife to a T - with the exception of a couple of Saab's and one VW Passat thrown in (which was essentially an Audi, anyways, back in the day).

My wife saw the commercial (and she's been a BMW person who just got an MB S550) and she LOVED it - all until she saw the ending!!! She asked me, "did we buy the wrong car"? The ad ABSOLUTELY hit home with her and I'll say this - having just plunked down the coin for the MB - made me think too. At a minimum, it will have me/us look at the Audi next time we're looking. An outstanding ad - and the music with it was perfect. Whichever agency they are using sure did a bang-up job!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
lig
Racer

My daily is an '04 S4. Fantastic car and has been extremely reliable. Right up there with my Lexus. Only downside - too heavy - too front heavy (being addressed in the new generation somewhat) and really thirsty.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by andre5
Why compare a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder? Besides, the 2.0T would have more of a weight and handling advantage. Power wise, it wouldn't surprise me if the 2.0T felt stronger than the C300 V6.
Because that's the proper comparo. You compare level of car to level of car.

MB's entry is the C300 V6; the Audi the 2.0t. Audi's biggest (non S line) engine is the 3.2; MB's (non AMG) it's the 3.5L.

Now if you wanna compare the RS4 vs the C63, we can do that too. LOL
Old 09-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
This post started with "For more than a decade, i've been with MB, BMW, and Porsche". And then went on to the Audi commercial and it's impact etc. That starting sentence describes me/my wife to a T - with the exception of a couple of Saab's and one VW Passat thrown in (which was essentially an Audi, anyways, back in the day).

My wife saw the commercial (and she's been a BMW person who just got an MB S550) and she LOVED it - all until she saw the ending!!! She asked me, "did we buy the wrong car"? The ad ABSOLUTELY hit home with her and I'll say this - having just plunked down the coin for the MB - made me think too. At a minimum, it will have me/us look at the Audi next time we're looking. An outstanding ad - and the music with it was perfect. Whichever agency they are using sure did a bang-up job!
A great ad it was; but gimme a break about being the wrong car. The C Class is a fantasic car; handles like it's on rails and great brakes. Not to mention MB is Ranked No.4 over all by JD Powers and Associates.....

Audi's not even in the top ten.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You write and I quote - "... But gimme a break about being the wrong car. The C Class is a fantasic car; handles like it's on rails and great brakes..."

Huh? Ok, the C may be a fantastic car but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post??? As I wrote, we bought the S (and I think it's a pretty good car as well). All I'm saying is that the ad got my wife thinking. I did tell her that the particular car wasn't in the same league as hers. In any event, the original post and my comment was about the effectiveness of the ad.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
You write and I quote - "... But gimme a break about being the wrong car. The C Class is a fantasic car; handles like it's on rails and great brakes..."

Huh? Ok, the C may be a fantastic car but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post??? As I wrote, we bought the S (and I think it's a pretty good car as well). All I'm saying is that the ad got my wife thinking. I did tell her that the particular car wasn't in the same league as hers. In any event, the original post and my comment was about the effectiveness of the ad.
I stand corrected. I completely missed the comment about the S550.

The S550 is the best car you pick in it's category. I've even had a handful of clients trade in their Flying Spurs for S550's.

Quick Reply: Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote