Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who would choose PDK over manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who would choose PDK over manual?

I am thinking of replacing my current 997S with either a 997 turbo (2nd hand) or a new 997S. I know that the reviews of Porsche's new PDK transmission are great, but I am still undecided as to whether I would spec'd a new car with it or without. I am curious to see people's take on this issue.

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

I am currently finalizing how I want to spec a new car order and am strongly considering the PDK. Hope to drive one soon to make an informed decision.

The reasons I am considering the PDK:
1. The latest technology, similar to the Ferrari tranny which is quite well accepted in that car.
2. Convenience for the around town, stop and go traffic driving.
3. My wife can drive it on occasion.
4. Better performance.
5. Better fuel efficiency.
6. Going back to #1, my desire to not live in the past and embrace new technologies if they are truly an improvement.

My major concern against the PDK, and it's a huge concern, is the potential loss of driving fun factor because lets face it, you buy a Porsche for fun and not for basic transportation.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My sentiments mirror saltydawg's pretty much completely (well, except for number 3. My girlfriend is an enthusiast too).

I look forward to my first chance to drive a PDK equipped car. When I finally do get a drive, I will try to keep as open a mind as possible despite my qualms about giving up the clutch and manual transmission. I hope I like PDK and I sort of don't want to like it, if that makes any sense.

From a performance standpoint I know that it would absolutely improve my times out on the track.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious to see the posts from people who purchase the new 997.2 cars in coming months. I agree the PDK looks really intriguing, but love the stick shifts. If I were thinking of buying a 997.2 I would definitely have to drive a PDK before finalizing such a major decision. I wish the stick version offered an overdrive like the 7-speed PDK.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:51 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think if I were to really track my car a lot, i'd be more interested in the PDK because i'm not the world's greatest heel tower, but for general all purpose fun driving which is generally what I do, it's the manual shifting that is a huge part of my passion for driving.

I think about taking a spirited drive in the Colorado mountains with a PDK, and it just doesn't seem like nearly as much fun as the manual at all. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll stay with a manual....I'm just a stick shift kinda guy. I would, however, like to sample PDK on the track.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my 40th year in P-cars, I'm sold on stick shifts.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

It's going to be very interesting reading the impressions of 997 owners who are lucky enough to test-drive the PDK on the 997.2's.
I'm hoping to have that chance late next week.
My wife's 987S has a Tiptronic; our (now gone) Audi A3 had the DSG (similar concept to PDK). There is no comparison. The DSG is lightning fast and absolutely seamless.
I imagine the PDK will be a vast improvement over the Tiptronic.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the PDK would bore me to death, so I plan to shift gears until I die or experience an injury that would prevent me from manual shifting.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Never. Stick is a must for me - driving involvement uber alles.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm getting ready to order a 2009 replacement for my 2005 C2 Tiptronic, and it will be a manual. The PDK will no doubt be infinitely better, and I would have much rather had it the last four years that I suffered with the Tiptronic...but I prefer three pedals in my sports cars, even if current technology means I'll be slower in a straight line and/or around the track.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a PDK on order (final assembly scheduled for Oct 8th). Love stick, but had to get rid of my 997S Cab because a recent stroke makes using the clutch a real problem. Love the opportunity to have the PDK option.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the SMG on my last E46 BMW M3 loved it granted, the "auto" mode was a tad harsh, but when you wanted to get on it, a) shifted lightning fast, and on downshift, matched revs perfectly freaking cool.

I would consider the PDK, but ONLY after they decide to "reverse" the controls...from what I have read on here, it is currently "push" to upshift? I could never get used to that, and would likely blow my engine. Plus, as many have posted, the shifter on a p-car is so damn smooth...I would likely miss it. F-it...I'm sticking with the stick baby!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

ANYONE near cleveland? Let's take one of my bad boys out. let's see for ourselves!!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by cole328
I had the SMG on my last E46 BMW M3 loved it granted, the "auto" mode was a tad harsh, but when you wanted to get on it, a) shifted lightning fast, and on downshift, matched revs perfectly freaking cool.

I would consider the PDK, but ONLY after they decide to "reverse" the controls...from what I have read on here, it is currently "push" to upshift? I could never get used to that, and would likely blow my engine. Plus, as many have posted, the shifter on a p-car is so damn smooth...I would likely miss it. F-it...I'm sticking with the stick baby!
Passion. I like your passion brother!!

Quick Reply: who would choose PDK over manual?