Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche in trouble in 20-30 years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is Porsche in trouble in 20-30 years?

All of this talk about the GT-R vs. the 911 and the Kia Rio vs. the 911 got me thinking about a post that I responded to one time about kids noticed our cars. I responded and said around where I live, kids don't give a crap about my Porsche. It's highly tuned Civics, Evos, WRXs, Eclipses and now the GT-R that all of the kids these days absolutely love.

My point is that I've wanted a Porsche since I was a little kid (Where the love affair started for me) because I thought it was the coolest car and I wanted a high end performance car that could be driven daily (I realized this as I got older).

So if kids these days just aren't into Porsches as much, is Porsche in trouble in 20-30 years when these kids grow up?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhm, what? no. I highly doubt it.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Who cares if it is...other than Andrew, most of the guys on here will be in diapers in 30 years...
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM
AngM018
Instructor

Those kids who are all into the rice burners grow up, then want the Euro performance. I used to be into the japanese cars when I was younger b/c I couldnt afford a Porsche yet. As soon as I could, I havent looked back since.

As for Porsche as a company. They have been on an upward profit curve since the early 90's. Now that they are adding a whole new segment in the form of the Panamera, I don't see the curve changing anytime soon.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Doubt it.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Good point, but with regard to the conclusion I would say: "it depends".

I could absolutely see that today's kids (those who admire the makes you listed) are not going to be into Porsche cars when they are adults, at least not the way we are (or I am). I think you are right; we are all conditioned by the influences we experience during our socialization process (i.e., while "growing up"), and when I grew up - in terms of performance cars - I think there really only were Porsche and Ferrari. I'm trying to remember right now what else we admired, but - really - it was mostly those two. There were other cars, but they did not capture our attention as much; the Countach came close, but it still wasn't the same.

Whether or not Porsche is going to be in trouble if that happens, will depend on how well they identify and serve other general target markets, as well as market segments other than those to whom owning a Porsche has been a life-long dream.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AngM018
Those kids who are all into the rice burners grow up, then want the Euro performance. I used to be into the japanese cars when I was younger b/c I couldnt afford a Porsche yet. As soon as I could, I havent looked back since.

As for Porsche as a company. They have been on an upward profit curve since the early 90's. Now that they are adding a whole new segment in the form of the Panamera, I don't see the curve changing anytime soon.
I agree. I think Porsche's biggest concern is the global oil drain and pending regulations on safety and economy. Given Porsche's track record of innovation (esp. now with a controlling interest in VAG), I think they'll be at the forefront of alternative drivetrains, etc.

EVERY kid wants a 911 even if they don't know it yet!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends which kids you talk to. Not all of them want Civics, some of them want Subaru Impreza's, and some of them want Ferrari's, some of them GT-R's, and some of them Porsche's.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Sadiq
Pro

no
Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Not a chance. Porsche has a complete line-up of sport car, sedan and SUV. There is a car for everyone.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
and when I grew up - in terms of performance cars - I think there really only were Porsche and Ferrari.
It was only Porsche and Ferrari for me too.
I had dreams of owning a 911, or a 308 or a Testarossa and doniting myself and my car to the local police force so that I could speed.

My 911 love affair started with a Porsche dealership (The Automaster) right across the street from my neighborhood in Shelburne, VT, and from car races at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. Man I loved Derek Bell and Al Holbert in the Lowenbrau Porsche 962.

Just doesn't seem kids these days look at a 911 the same way. I'm sure Porsche will be fine, but it was really just an observation. Cheers.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

All companies and businesses have to be flexible and occasionally they have to reinvent themselves in order to survive. The companies that rest on their laurels all eventually fail.

I believe the time frame was about 15 years ago, just before Porsche released the Boxster that Porsche was in real financial difficulty. I think the release of the Boxster and the Cayenne really reenergized Porsche and brought them center stage once again.

Your observations are spot on. As Cole states, in 30 years many of us will be in diapers and Porsche marketing needs to be marketing to the teenagers as well as to the current buyers.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tiger who does not prowl is a potential rug!

I truly believe the Porsche folks are driven to prowl, they learned a valuable lesson when the Boxster took them out of a possible crisis. Porsche must offer all types of vehicles for the masses; I see a mini-van in the near future.

The VW takeover is a smart step to preserve the Porsche heritage and their continued success...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
...kids don't give a crap about my Porsche. It's highly tuned Civics, Evos, WRXs, Eclipses and now the GT-R that all of the kids these days absolutely love.

So if kids these days just aren't into Porsches as much, is Porsche in trouble in 20-30 years when these kids grow up?
The kids loved tuned GTIs, Civics, Eclipses, Supras, and 300ZX twin turbos 15-20 years ago...when Porsche was in dire straits...and now the company is in better shape than ever. I wouldn't be too concerned...
Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Not a chance. Porsche has a complete line-up of sport car, sedan and SUV. There is a car for everyone.
Lots of choices from Porsche!
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Is Porsche in trouble in 20-30 years?