Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

she doesn't drive my cars.
can't drive 6 speed manual.
thinks porsche is POS that cost way too much money.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to but...

my wife is a NYC girl born and raised. Cars are not in her blood. She doesn't even like driving.

I've tried like hell to get her to drive a proper manual transmission. I even rented a Miata for a day so she could learn. She could get us home in an emergency but she does not enjoy it.

So no... she doesn't share this car.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, my wife likes to drive all of "our" cars like they were designed to be driven, beats the crap out of them (except the Masi which feels a bit more fragile). She even got her open wheel racing license. The only downfall is that she isn't as meticulous as me when it comes to keeping the interior pristine. If you can't stand the though of her driving your car then either you are not ready to get married or she is not the right one for you.

Just keep in mind that... "the only mariage that last a very long time are the one where the husband is scared ****less of his wife." Dustin Hoffman.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

I actually used to like it when my wife drove the car. Let's face it, for some of us it is a significant line item on our personal balance sheets. Being married means you do need to decide jointly on how you go about balancing current consumption vs future consumption. I found it important to get her buy-in for the car to make sure that we never had to have the argument about it being such a waste of money (or investment in current satisfaction as I would prefer to say). To do this, always helped that (1) she knew how much I liked it; (2) that we would do trips just the two of us in the car (benefit of it being a 2 +2), and (3) that she enjoyed driving it. I also frankly like that she enjoys driving it (although when we were on the autobahn, she would tend to keep it below 220 kmh as being fast enough). Also, found that it is helpful that she both enjoys driving it and has sufficient time behind the wheel to drive it comfortably on those occasions when it was, how should we say, better that she drove home from the restaurant ...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I don't drink nor smoke, and I'm healthier than my wife according to the vital stats. So there are no occasions where it'd be better for her to drive us home.

Yes, I'm a dull boy, and that's why I need a Porsche!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I think she liked it better than her own 911 but she would never admit that to me.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
cag64
Instructor

If that is the way you feel about your car, get her a car of her own. Let her pick it out. Pull the trigger, and live happily ever after. Not too difficult.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be married to the best woman in the world! Not only did she insist I upgrade from my Boxster to a 997 but she refuses to let me drive her Mercedes SLK. Needless to say she loves and drives her car and I love and drive mine.

I do get to drive her car to get gas once in a while!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Even though everything is "ours," some things are more ours than others. The p-car is mine and my wife knows I don't want her to drive it. She may not identify with how I feel about the car, but she's fine with it. Neither one of us would feel very good if she scraped the spoiler or gave it curb rash. Besides, she has things of her own that I don't meddle with.

I really think the original poster should tell his gf that he didn't appreciate her driving his M3 more than he said she could. Better have it out now and be clear about things before you get married. If he wants to be married to her and have a car that she never touches, fine. If she's not cool with that, that's fine too, better to know it now.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrc76
Sorry
My question - do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend? I'm asking as I came back from a business trip last night to find my girlfriend had driven my M3 to work every day this week. I told her she could take it once or twice being that the weather is warm (convertible) and its the first week of school (she is a teacher).

Thanks
Fortunately my wife SHARES with me.
She bought the Cayman S before i bought my 993
Now she has a 997.2 on order.

Fortunately, she trusts me to both drive and AX her car.

Do you trust your girlfriend to react nominally under stress?
Do you trust your girlfriend to park away from other cars in a lot?
Do you trust your girlfriend to put gas in the car?

Bottom line, it's just a car.
Which is more important, your relationship, or your car?

and YES, i would be pissed if she crashed my 993
and
I'm sure she would be pissed if i dinger her car
But
We'd work through it.

cheers

Craig

PS. we always share my Subaru <grin>
Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's BMW 330 has curb rash on all 4 wheels and several nice scrapes on the fenders. So no, she's not driving my new 911 S.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Chairman Meow
Track Day

I suppose the question could also be posed as follows: "Do you "share" your car with your husband/boyfriend?"

Even though my husband has had his share of accidents (like driving into a sofa, for example), I still let him drive my Cayman S, and I will let him drive my new 997.2 because whatever happens it will all work out.

Besides, if he incurs damage on my new 997.2, I'll just take a hammer to his 993 C4S.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Some of y'all are way too uptight.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgfen
Which is more important, your relationship, or your car?
Oooh, that's a complex question... I need more info... which car are we talking about... and which girl?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

No gf. No wife. No problem.

When I do get around to getting a new gf she'll be allowed to drive the Carrera S. Vette was my dad's and he's not around any more so no to that. It's just too sentimental. GT3, well unless she, or anyone else is my height they won't be driving it as the seat is bolted a rabbit-hair off the floor- no sliders. It's very, very low.

Quick Reply: Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?