Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
bbrc76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Sorry for such a general post, but I'm struggling with this one a bit and I have found the quality of dialogues on this forum to be of the highest quality I have come across. M3 forums have eroded significantly as the vehicles have become more attainable.

Background:
- I currently drive an '06 M3 convertible w/ SMG transmission.
- I am seriously considering a 997 convertible - I was waiting for the PDK (I do 90% of my driving in the city of Chicago). This would be a "big" purchase for me (emotionally - I've dreamed of 911's since I was a kid)
- I drive my M3 all year round (snow tires in the winter).
- My girlfriend will likely become my wife in the next 12 to 18 months. She is good people.

My question - do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend? I'm asking as I came back from a business trip last night to find my girlfriend had driven my M3 to work every day this week. I told her she could take it once or twice being that the weather is warm (convertible) and its the first week of school (she is a teacher).

So I asked my close friend, who I think has a solid marriage, if one must share everything in marriage. He basically said "yes". He is not a "car guy". I am open to sharing my home and finances (I make more significantly more than her) but I don't think I want to share my cars with her so openly. As such, I'm looking for feedback from "car guys"?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why wouldn't you? If you are not willing to share everything, find a good divorce lawyer ahead of time. You'll need it. It's only a car. I suspect if you have kids, you'll trust her with them?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
bbrc76
Advanced

We are not having kids. We have been thru this topic in great detail - its obviously not a casual decision.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes...a happy wife makes for a happy life. My wife has her own set of keys to the 911, yet she's never ever driven it, but she knows that I trust and respect her enough to share my car with her. She just chooses not to drive it...she's not a car nut like me.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I "share" my 997TT with my wife. Although, honestly, she is not a fan of driving it--too much power and she's concerned something would happen to it. I, on the other hand, drive it daily, year round.

My wife and I have been married for 11 years. During that time, I owned a 993 ('96 911 Cabriolet) and was protective of it. It was used only on sunny days and was entered in Concours competitions. Although I didn't prevent her from driving it, I didn't offer it up either--that I regret.

Although these cars are wonderful, they are still cars--one of many you will own.

However, I suspect there is a lot more to this question than just driving a car. But, because I'm a guy, I'm not going to analyze it.

If she is the "one", then start sharing now.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

My wife chooses not to drive the Porsche...says the seats are too uncomfortable and does not like a manual tranny.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
bbrc76
Advanced

Guys - I appreciate the input and if this is how the world works, then I look to be a fair person. I was looking to see if the rules were different for "car guys" who (I assumed) are more emotionally connected to their vehicles. Looks like I'm the outlier for having a greater than average emotional connection to my car.

As I commented in my intro, she is good people and I am open to sharing my home and finances. Sounds like after we get married I should buy her a nice car. I have to admit that driving her Jetta when she has my M3 isn't a fun exchange on my end.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fiancee refuses to let me teach her how to drive a manual, but I constantly try. Unfortunately, I think she sees my grimaces when the front lip protector skims a driveway and is too afraid that she would damage it.

Ideally, I would like her to like my car enough that she wants one of her own.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

If your emotional attachement to a vehicle is more than to your girlfriend, you should seriously seek counselling and possibly medication.

NOTE: This thread must be a joke, as no one would be so disturbed to think the way this guy does.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds to me like you're not ready to get married...If you can't "share" your car, how are you suppose to share your life?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
However, I suspect there is a lot more to this question than just driving a car. But, because I'm a guy, I'm not going to analyze it.

Yes here too. In fact, she and a few other significant others will periodically take the cars for a spa day etc. The benefit to the guys is no hassle track days/weekend romps, etc. Worth it for that reason alone IMHO; marital harmony is just a + It is only a car after all.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
rvklein
Racer

My question - do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?
Without question if you know what's good for you!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
richc
Pro

She's driven mine, it's a different experience to be over 100 mph in the other seat. She doesn't drive it often, it'll get going fast in too short a time period for her.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

My wife takes the P-car out once or twice a month. Her dad has owned various 911's over the past 25 years so she is quite comfortable driving them. Its so sexy when I hear her blip the throttle when she downshifts I just wish she would go a little slower over the speedbumps in our neighborhood.......
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Of course! My wife knows that the other set of keys are hers. She doesn't drive it often on her own, more often when we do longer trips and we share the driving. But what's mine is hers and what's hers is mine.

Quick Reply: Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?