Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008 | 12:41 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
No gf. No wife. No problem.
2 Porsches and a Vette and no girlfriend? Wow, you must be REALLY ugly!
Old 09-05-2008 | 01:04 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _Nathan
The trick is to never call them "girlfriend"... because technically you are then restricted to that one only.
Old 09-05-2008 | 01:28 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

a few years ago I tried to teach my GF to drive my 993S, but she kept freaking out. she really liked when I drove fast, however...but she was a truck/suv girl deep down anyway

next GF (same 993S) really loved my car but didn't want to learn...she was a really bad parker

next up, fiancee (same car, but it didn't work out) was actually an awesome driver and we shared our benzes (my S, my CL and her CL) and her Suv (yep, we had too many cars) but she never was really into the porsche as it felt small and unsafe or something

after I dumped her (didn't like her family, and she really did love them) I sold that 993S and I've gotten myself a 993TT, an RS4, 997GT3, 997GT3RS, MX5 race/track car

ALL of which I let other people drive assuming their competent. My dad helps me move my cars around to storage and back, I let my mechanic drive my RS4 all the time (lease, who cares, etc), when I was in Italy I let a police officer drive my GT3 (talk about "letting go", but hey it makes for a good story), and I've let my friend who's a grand-am pro dude drive my 3RS on the track in order to help me with the setup as well as get instruction, and I've let 5 different people drive my MX5 cup car on the track...

unless it's a bugatti veyron, F40, Enzo, or some IRREPLACEABLE car, it really is just a car.

although I was on a date with a school teacher last year and she asked me

"would you rather have a girlfriend or a ferrari?"

fast forward to sept. 2008:

I've got 4 sports/track cars and a tow truck and no girlfriend. in the past 12 months I've travelled around europe solo, started my own charity, done about 60 track days and in the next 12 months I'll do even more of all that.

life is awesome
Old 09-05-2008 | 01:04 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I say if she knows how to shift properly.. i.e. not lag the engine, take it past 3500 rpm before shifting, and you're confident that she'll not miss a shift, then why not
Old 09-05-2008 | 01:08 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I say if she knows how to shift properly.. i.e. not lag the engine, take it past 3500 rpm before shifting, and you're confident that she'll not miss a shift, then why not
why stress the point of 3500 before shifting? that's excessive for regular street driving imo, dont you think?
Old 09-05-2008 | 02:29 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Sadiq
why stress the point of 3500 before shifting? that's excessive for regular street driving imo, dont you think?
Not for Porsche gearing.
Haven't you noticed that the RPM matches better if you shift past 4Krpm?
Old 09-05-2008 | 02:32 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Not for Porsche gearing.
Haven't you noticed that the RPM matches better if you shift past 4Krpm?
i don't have problems shifting at around 2.5k (i.e., the revs match perfectly). obviously not the way porsches were meant to be driven, but then again, porsches werent really meant to be driven during LA rush hour. but when in rome... :P
Old 09-05-2008 | 04:03 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I encourage my wife to drive the Porsche but she prefers to drive her Audi TTR. I can't imagine not sharing everything with her.
Old 09-05-2008 | 04:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Long story.

A good one will come along at some point. I'd rather be with noone rather than the wrong one.
Old 09-08-2008 | 01:45 PM
Landmule
Advanced

My wife can drive anything I own! I will also let my kids drive my cars - with the proper instruction! They're just cars and while I like to take good care of them, I really like to share the enjoyment.

I've also taken a few of my son's friends out and let them drive. I think it's a good way to "grow the herd".
Old 09-09-2008 | 04:19 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

It's not an issue for me as my wife can't drive stick.

I have tried to teach her in the past but she was never able to get the hang of it. Should I rent a car to teach her?

Actually, I really don't think she has the desire to drive the Porsche but I would like her to experience it because I think it would give her some idea of why I enjoy the car so much. I know, however, that it is most likely wishful thinking on my part.
Old 09-09-2008 | 10:08 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
It's not an issue for me as my wife can't drive stick.

I have tried to teach her in the past but she was never able to get the hang of it. Should I rent a car to teach her?

Actually, I really don't think she has the desire to drive the Porsche but I would like her to experience it because I think it would give her some idea of why I enjoy the car so much. I know, however, that it is most likely wishful thinking on my part.
EXACTLY my sentiments! +1 I'd like her(my wife) to understand what my obsesion is all about.

Quick Reply: Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?