Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's just a car......
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Of course! What's sexier than a great-looking gal driving a Porsche??? I love letting her drive - especially around here in Beverly Hills, etc. So much fun! And BTW, she's great with the 6-speed - she is much more happy to drive it than the much heavier clutch on the '01 Boxster we owned prior to the 997.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
rvklein
Racer

My wife said the only way I can get a Porsche is to buy a tip
My wife said it had to be a manual! I'm trying to explain to her the virtues of PDK.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Sadiq
Pro

if my gf became my wife, i would not let her drive the 997, but that's because she is an awful driver who can't parallel park (the wheels on her own car are rashed to hell) and she can't drive manual
Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Never an issue. She doesn't drive a stick. But considering her infamous expression, "It's only a lease car!" which is usually uttered after she has scraped the wheels of her X5 4.8 going through the bank drive-through, I think I'd prefer the cars be kept separate.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

She will ask to take my car out about twice a year. Ok baby, where are you going? To the mall... um... no darling, my car does not go to the mall... you have three other cars to take to the mall. xo
Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

My SO can take the Porsche whenever she likes, and she does quite often. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that she even WANTS to drive a 6-speed 911, and I like that she's trying to share my interests at the same time. I'd much rather she wanted to drive the car than not.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Looks like I may be the only one here who "gets" what you're trying to say. I'm a certifiable car nut that I'm almost OCD about it. I notice the tiniest details -- dust, prints, scratches, even how much the movements in the seats, steering wheel, and mirrors. I can even tell if my car has been moved an inch. Contrary to how my idiosyncracies may be labeled, I simply take pride in being very detail-oriented, especially with my P-car. This is not so much a control-freak thing; I just need to know where my things have been.

That said, my wife is free to drive my P-car or any other car. Ironically, however, because she's fully aware of my passion for the 911, it's the only car she's never driven out of all the cars we've owned. She's most definitely not a car person, and she drives everything like it's a rental. She knows the potential damage she can inflict on it, so she simply won't touch it knowing how much it means to me, as well as how much it costs. Guess I'm "lucky" in that respect. We've been together 17 years and married for 9. She's a great wife in that if something's important to me, then it's important to her.

I won't lie that I'd prefer not to have her drive my P-car, though.

That pretty much says it for me (together 16 years, married for 9, almost 10 here). However, my wife does have a key and I (have to) say "yes" when she asks, though often she sees the fear in my face and hears the trembling in my voice, and usually relents. But she does drive it occasionally and it would be very hard for me to argue about that. When she does take it to work, I am so OCD I actually think about driving to her work to make sure she parked it correctly (but haven't done that)!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife probably drives it more than I do. We have a 'dog issue' - basically meaning our old black Lab comes to work with me three days a week when my wife works and although he's sat in the front footwell of the 997, he is happier in the back of the Audi.

Much as I love my car, I think she loves it more. I actually heard her talking to one of her friends about how much she liked changing down to third and '...devouring slower cars....'.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM
lgascoig
Racer

Buy wife a car that she picks. Hopefully she has good taste, but if not, oh well. Make sure you get a good price on it. Fortunately for me my wife likes Mercs and BMWs so it could be a lot worse.

When you get your Porsche, make sure she understands how fanatical you are about it. For example if you wash it lovingly by hand and spend a lot of time on it she should understand that it is a precious thing to you and you'll be pissed if something happens to it.

Her use of the 911 should sort itself out without you specifically telling her, "Be careful if you take the car." In other words, if she knows you'll be irate if something bad happens to it, she will tend to not use it as much.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, my wife lets me drive our Porsche.
abe
Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

My wife has an open invitation to drive my Porsche but she will not: she tells me the she is "afraid" to drive it despite my reinforcing to her that it is just a car.
My wife lets me driver her Porsche and usually prefers that I drive it.
Next year when I ramp up my new found track addiction, I am going to get her out for DE too - I know she would love it,....who wouldn't?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No, no, no. Unless I'm the passenger and am certain she knows what she's doing.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
str8line
Relevance Score TBD
Rennlist Member

My wife drives "our" car regularly and I love it. I always ask her if she gets into it a little and stretches its legs. I want her to be comfortable driving it(she's a great driver) and enjoy the experience of a Porsche being driven hard. I also love the idea of a sassy woman in a 911.

As others have said if you have a mine/hers mentality your marriage will not be as enjoyable as it could be.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I could not resist chiming in on this topic. My wife knew about my car addiction when we married, and though she does not share my passion, she does understand how important it is to me. She has driven my 575 when I had it and she tried driving one of my 360's as well. I have never told her she can not drive any of our cars, though she does not really enjoy sports cars, she would rather drive a big car. I think if you are going to enter a partnership with someone, you better be both ready and able to share.

Quick Reply: Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?