Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy solution: Get your fiance her own P-car as a wedding present!

As an extension to comments like "it's only a car"...I'll add: 'It's only money...you can always make more."
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bbrc76
Guys - I appreciate the input and if this is how the world works, then I look to be a fair person. I was looking to see if the rules were different for "car guys" who (I assumed) are more emotionally connected to their vehicles. Looks like I'm the outlier for having a greater than average emotional connection to my car.

As I commented in my intro, she is good people and I am open to sharing my home and finances. Sounds like after we get married I should buy her a nice car. I have to admit that driving her Jetta when she has my M3 isn't a fun exchange on my end.

Thanks for the input.
Looks like I may be the only one here who "gets" what you're trying to say. I'm a certifiable car nut that I'm almost OCD about it. I notice the tiniest details -- dust, prints, scratches, even how much the movements in the seats, steering wheel, and mirrors. I can even tell if my car has been moved an inch. Contrary to how my idiosyncracies may be labeled, I simply take pride in being very detail-oriented, especially with my P-car. This is not so much a control-freak thing; I just need to know where my things have been.

That said, my wife is free to drive my P-car or any other car. Ironically, however, because she's fully aware of my passion for the 911, it's the only car she's never driven out of all the cars we've owned. She's most definitely not a car person, and she drives everything like it's a rental. She knows the potential damage she can inflict on it, so she simply won't touch it knowing how much it means to me, as well as how much it costs. Guess I'm "lucky" in that respect. We've been together 17 years and married for 9. She's a great wife in that if something's important to me, then it's important to her.

I won't lie that I'd prefer not to have her drive my P-car, though.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If your emotional attachement to a vehicle is more than to your girlfriend, you should seriously seek counselling and possibly medication.

NOTE: This thread must be a joke, as no one would be so disturbed to think the way this guy does.
A bit harsh, no? The intro outlined the fact that I did leave the vehicle for her this week while I was gone (I typically drive to the airport).

I don't claim to have to have all the answers to life. As such, I was looking for some feedback. I went to a specifically focused group to better understand a specific issue.

I appreciate the feedback of those who provided constructive feedback.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Wow - I can't believe how some people are busting your chops. I feel your pain bro. Like Rudyard Kipling said on this (thereabouts) subject...

"a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke..."

I'm lucky, my girlfriend is more than capable of, but scared to drive the Porsche. She's worried about being responsible for damage - because of guilt, not fear of my reprisal.

Sounds like you have the right solution in mind - get her her own "special" car. Maybe a Miata or a mini convertible.

Last edited by purrybonker; 04-09-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has her own set of keys too. That said in the 16 months I've ..... (we've) owned the car she has probaably driven it 4 times. She knows she can drive it anytime she likes. That I think is the important part.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

don't be fooled by the people here who try to make you out as some shallow, materialistic oaf. This is a p 997 board, after all.

if your fiance knows how ocd you are about your car (and most spouses of pcar owners do), and you tell her she can take the car out once in a while, and she ends up driving to work every day, that would give me some pause. not about your decision to let her drive generally, but your choice of spouse. especially if she's a teacher and we all know teacher parking lots are highly visible, i.e., sounds like she was showing off. Spouses need to respect what the other thinks is important, even if it does involve a shallow endeavor like a $100k car. just like you don't take her 2 carat engagement ring and use it a door stop. it's all relative.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

My wifey used to say it was just a chunk of metal to get from point A to point B. Fine, take your F'n wagon and stay away from my P cars. She was sorta fine with that because she knows how hard I worked to get them. Her DD is a C class Benz wagon and mine is a Benz ML500. Last Sept we thought a friend was roaring up our drive, nope, it was his wife bringing his GT3 RS to meet him at our house so they could swap cars. HE LETS YOU DRIVE HIS CAR?? HE LETS HER DRIVE HIS CAR?? This clearly changed things at the home front and I had to think quick. What to do? When we got back from our tech inspections I asked wifey if she would like to drive the C2S at autocross. She tried it twice and bought her own helmet. Smartest darn thing I ever did because she loves autocross so much that we are running at least once a weekend, sometimes twice. No freekin way I could do that on my own and leave her at home. We each drive up and have two way radios for communication. I still will not let her use it as a daily driver but once in a great while I let her take it if I know where she is going, and I apply the same rules to my own use too. Our DDs are fine for us because work is 1200 feet away.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

On another note, a friend once told me his wife was very uncomfortable driving his car. He said it had a lot to do with him in the passengers seat with his knife to her throat. When the divorce came she ended up with his car and he ended up with her diesel VW.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude - Share the car..it's a machine, and mechanical things can be fixed. That said, I saw your GF driving around town in your M3 while you were gone, and must admit, she looked Hot behind that steering wheel.!! NOTHING sexier than a gal that can take a 90 degree corner at 40+. Have a nice weekend and try to relax.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
summoboy
Rennlist Member

MY wife can drive my P-car, but has not so far. I think it is too fast for her, which works out OK for me. But I drive her van all the time...
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

My wife thinks that sports cars are ridiculous. And she doesn't drive a manual. (Actually, one of my kids asked why men's cars had 3 pedals and women's cars had only 2. Try explaining that to a 4 year old.)

Like the time I wanted to get a big screen HDTV. She looked at the 27" CRT in the family room and told me that we already had a TV.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
jlinde
Track Day

My wife loves the 911. She intensely disliked the complexity of my previous SMG M3, but has remarked that the 911 is about as difficult to drive as her old Civic. She drives a manual quite well and has suggested we take a driver's course this fall at Lime Rock.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife has all the keys to our cars. It is up to her whether she wants to drive them or not.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife said the only way I can get a Porsche is to buy a tip (which I don't mind) so she can drive it too. Well, three years later she drove it less than 10 times. I guess she didn't like my "No sticky messy food" rule.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From an e-mail joke I just got;

If you don't let a woman have her own way....

Things are going to get ugly

Quick Reply: Do you "share" your car with your wife / girlfriend?