Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Tempt 175...no matter what!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water Tempt 175...no matter what!!!!

I remember reading that Porsche "fixed" these gauges so that it always reads 175 because people were complaining when there gauge read higher. I noticed that cold or hot, up or down hills...that gauge always reads 175. The oil tempt may go up...but the water is fixed. Am I the only one that finds this a little insulting....shouldn't the gauge read the true tempt?

BTW, I am talking about coolent temperature not oil.
abe

Last edited by abe; 08-26-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I can't but agree. Apparently, it DOES read a higher temperature but only when it really gets up there. One of the problems with designing these cars more for the masses is that the true enthusiasts wind up with compromises. We can watch the water gauge for any sort of trends or heads-up that something is going on.

As I understand it, Porsche got a significant number of inquiries from a bunch of novice Porsche owners about the coolant temperature and what it "should" be so they decided to "fix" the problem and what we have is the result.

I will contact my Porsche service manager to ask if this filtration can be unfiltered via software. (He's the one who admitted to me that he has seen higher temps from these gauges but only when they are really severe.).

Last edited by Edgy01; 08-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I remember reading that Porsche "fixed" these gauges so that it always reads 175 because people were complaining when there gauge read higher. I noticed that cold or hot, up or down hills...that gauge always reads 175. The oil tempt may go up...but the water is fixed. Am I the only one that finds this a little insulting....shouldn't the gauge read the true tempt?
abe
Yours reads 175 when you first start the car? Most cars I have driven lately seem to have a rather stable water temp, once it reaches its "normal" operating temp. With a thermostat that controls flow through the radiators and aux fans that turn on when the water temp strats to get above "normal" it is not too hard for me to believe that the water temp stays fairly constant, once it reaches normal operating temp.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to drive it consistently hard a while for it to climb over 175. I don't remember mine exactly but close to 190 after a several laps.

The only thing that bugs me is the tire pressure monitor. Before the starting on the track I lower my air pressure and I get the warning. Then when the tires heat up and are back to normal pressure the warning light still stays lit! Ugh ok rant off.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Yours reads 175 when you first start the car? Most cars I have driven lately seem to have a rather stable water temp, once it reaches its "normal" operating temp. With a thermostat that controls flow through the radiators and aux fans that turn on when the water temp strats to get above "normal" it is not too hard for me to believe that the water temp stays fairly constant, once it reaches normal operating temp.
+1

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to type out that response.

The near steady 175 is a testament to the excellent temperature control system of the 997. It just seems absurd for anyone to believe that Porsche would deliberately decalibrate the temp gauge so that it reads a constant value just because there might be some ignorant owners of 997s who are unaware of fluctuations in temperatures of an automobile engine, and that because of this ignorance Porsche would be forced to create an illusion just for them! Wow, that's got to take the cake!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
+1

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to type out that response.

The near steady 175 is a testament to the excellent temperature control system of the 997. It just seems absurd for anyone to believe that Porsche would deliberately decalibrate the temp gauge so that it reads a constant value just because there might be some ignorant owners of 997s who are unaware of fluctuations in temperatures of an automobile engine, and that because of this ignorance Porsche would be forced to create an illusion just for them! Wow, that's got to take the cake!
I guess you never had a 996 then ;-)
That gauge was all over the place and it freaked lots of people out.. had fans and a thermostat too.

Most manufacturers dumb down the temp gauge reading for this reason... check out renntech to see the number of questions on this topic for the 996
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I guess you never had a 996 then ;-)
That gauge was all over the place and it freaked lots of people out.. had fans and a thermostat too.

Most manufacturers dumb down the temp gauge reading for this reason... check out renntech to see the number of questions on this topic for the 996
Really? I wasn't aware of that happening on the 996.

My guess is that the guage may have been desensitized by the use of electronic averaging circuitry that filters out temperature spikes and averages water temps over a given period of time. The signal then is sent as a voltage level to the temp gauge, which really isn't reading real time actual temperature fluctuations, but average temperature. It would still be accurate, as far as averaging the temps over a set period of time. And if the average temps start to climb over 175, this would be seen on the gauge, as some here have indicated that it does.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Trust me, Porsche has dumbed it down. Has anyone here ever seen their coolant temp read OVER 175ºF despite driving it hard in hot climates?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 175 on you gauge is wrong. Your actual temperture is substantially higher than that once the car is warmed up and will never back down to 175 when the engine is running. Your car has a 182F thermostat. Your normal actual coolant temperature is probably closer to 190+.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
Really? I wasn't aware of that happening on the 996.

My guess is that the guage may have been desensitized by the use of electronic averaging circuitry that filters out temperature spikes and averages water temps over a given period of time. The signal then is sent as a voltage level to the temp gauge, which really isn't reading real time actual temperature fluctuations, but average temperature. It would still be accurate, as far as averaging the temps over a set period of time. And if the average temps start to climb over 175, this would be seen on the gauge, as some here have indicated that it does.
I think they just make the gauge non-linear.

The middle part where the needle usually sits is like 140-220C... if its in the hot region then its REALLY hot and the low end is REALLY cold.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Trust me, Porsche has dumbed it down. Has anyone here ever seen their coolant temp read OVER 175ºF despite driving it hard in hot climates?
Yes. My fan control thingy failed and in traffic my temp rose and rose and rose. Once underway at speed it was ok.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I think they just make the gauge non-linear.

The middle part where the needle usually sits is like 140-220C... if its in the hot region then its REALLY hot and the low end is REALLY cold.
Yeah, that makes better sense.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No, it does not start at 175..but once it gets there it stays there.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Also, its pretty ignorant to think that a large variation in out side temp/and driving conditions is a tribute to the germans able to get those controls just right.....sorry that does not fly very well with me. The non linear gauge makes sense....which means Porsche is dicking around with you.
That is not the way is suppose to be....IMHO!
abe
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the water temperature gauges for the 997 engine are non-linear.

The 3.6 and 3.8 engines were designed to run coolant @175F under normal operating conditions. For most driving and for 95%+ of the time, aside from warming up you will be at 175F. And remember this is the coolant temperature, not metal, oil or air temp.

It's only under consistent hard driving this number creeps up. Wish I could have kept a better eye on it the times I've been at the track, but certainly will do next time. All I remember was seeing it at one hash mark passed 175 which is what, 25 per hash mark?

"175 | | 250" So I was at about 200F probably less... the visual part here is not that accurate I agree, only if they had a digital read out That would drive some nuts though.

Here's a shot from 2006 of my dash after a spirited run up highway 9 in n. California, idling at a rest stop on hwy 35:

Last edited by kauai_diver; 08-25-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
I don't think the water temperature gauges for the 997 engine are non-linear.

The 3.6 and 3.8 engines were designed to run coolant @175F under normal operating conditions. For most driving and for 95%+ of the time, aside from warming up you will be at 175F. And remember this is the coolant temperature, not metal, oil or air temp.

It's only under consistent hard driving this number creeps up. Wish I could have kept a better eye on it the times I've been at the track, but certainly will do next time. All I remember was seeing it at one hash mark passed 175 which is what, 25 per hash mark?

"175 | | 250" So I was at about 200F probably less... the visual part here is not that accurate I agree, only if they had a digital read out That would drive some nuts though.

Here's a shot from 2006 of my dash after a spirited run up highway 9 in n. California, idling at a rest stop on hwy 35:

The engines WERE NOT designed to run at 175F. The thermostat isn't even open at that low of a temperature. Target temperature is 190+.

Quick Reply: Water Tempt 175...no matter what!!!!