Sponsored by:

I'm starting to hate my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm starting to hate my C2S

It's 3 months and 6k miles for me with my '06 C2S cab and after my last mountain road trip I'm slipping into a love-hate relationship with this car.

The love part we all understand - the hate part is how really, really boringly good this car is.

Recently I drove the C2S on some of my old favorite two lane roads through the mountains of southern BC and Alberta - roads that I used to find truly exhilarating in a 993 or 3.2 Carrera. Not so much exhilaration in the new car.

For the most part, I simply cannot drive this car fast enough on public roads to accomplish the same "fun factor" that was attainable with older versions of the 911, or even a simpler car like a Miata. To do so would risk jail time or even more severe consequences. I can't imagine what the turbo/GT2/3 guys go through.

I doubt that I'd go back to an older car - but my last few drives do have me thinking....
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Time to take it to the track!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Bum
Advanced

Turn PASM and/or PSM off and you'll be quickly reminded of how much the car really helps you in daily driving, plus you'll turn your well behaved sports car into a hyper go-kart. That's what I have to do to put the spirit back into my former challenging routes.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

get a cayman S.

what you explained is why I chose note to get a 997S and then fell in love with the cayman when I drove it. I know which car is faster and has more HP, etc.... but it was the other one that just really felt alive and fun.

not bashing 997, I hope nobody takes it that way all... just pointing out that each person has different things they want from a particular car and its not always more hp and more refinement....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Evo
get a cayman S.

what you explained is why I chose note to get a 997S and then fell in love with the cayman when I drove it. I know which car is faster and has more HP, etc.... but it was the other one that just really felt alive and fun.

not bashing 997, I hope nobody takes it that way all... just pointing out that each person has different things they want from a particular car and its not always more hp and more refinement....
That got me thinking, will the new 09 Caymans will have new engines too? If you haven't heard the new 997 and 997S have completely new engines with DFI (Direct Fuel Injection), lighter crankshaft, bunch other things I can't remember. Uping the HP by 30 for the S 20 for the base iirc, lowering the weight, and increasing the gas mileage.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

You're getting at something I've been thinking about for a long time and seen in a lot of test cars.

The fun/involvement thing has, at least in many cases, less to do with ultimate potential than the sweetness of the engineering and setup. Some cars, despite their excellence in many regards or technical prowess or on-paper performance, just aren't as sweet to drive as others. This subtlety is part of why I personally had better drives in 996s, even though I could clearly see 997s were better cars, from performance to interior to styling, etc.

Same goes for E39 BMW 5s. Loved (!) the 528i/530i Sport stick, merely liked the 540i in the same setup... The list goes on, from plain WRXs vs. STis to M roadsters with the 240-horse and 315-horse motors, and on, and on.

I agree on the 987 thing, but then I do love a base 997 with 18s and nothing else. Throw in PCCBs and I'd be in heaven. But I'd have to think long and hard about that car against a well set-up Boxster or Cayman.

Sounds like it is sweetness and "light" and involvement you're after. And it's not easy to find without spending a lot of time in a car. And this is where new-car buyers are held over a barrel.

I wish you the best in your search, but there's already some good advice here. I am sure you'll get more, but you might also consider an alignment or a suspension upgrade by a shop that knows what it is doing. I've seen several 997s become different cars with relatively modest tweaks...

Cheers,

pete
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by purrybonker
It's 3 months and 6k miles for me with my '06 C2S cab
Damn, I thought I was driving my new C2S with 5,000 miles in 4 months. I know what you are saying about the refinement, but I figure you can always get in the throttle a little more or get on the brakes a little later if you're short on thrills. My car really satisfies on curvy roads. I find that I can drive familiar roads faster and more smoothly now than I could a couple of months ago. I guess I'm becoming more connected with my car. Considering the cost to fix/replace these cars, I don't care to be scared on the road . . . completely satisfied is what I'm seeking . . . and I am, with the exception that I'd like a few more ponies at times.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
rvklein
Racer

get a cayman S.
Then turbo charge it and you'll have all the fun you could possibly handle.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

...thats is why 6 months after having my 07 Targa, I bought an 83SC. Now I have the best of both world and decide which one I want to drive depending on my mood.
abe
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
For the most part, I simply cannot drive this car fast enough on public roads to accomplish the same "fun factor" that was attainable with older versions of the 911, or even a simpler car like a Miata. To do so would risk jail time or even more severe consequences....
Pretty much exactly why I got the 3.6. I ride around in 3rd and 4th gears and over 4-5K rpm a lot. Its still 'speeding' but not at 'arrest me' levels. At least the car feels alive, tho. Maybe drop a gear or two and rev higher over the same tarmac.

I once wrote "competent, but not boring" in describing the car, but w/ American speed limits and police enforcement (taxation?) it can get tough. Track time (I have only done DE events) does help to work out the frustration.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Track it. IMHO there is no reason to own these cars (I have a 997S) unless you track them. There is very little point to these cars on the road especially if you don't have any good mountain roads in the vicinity.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
wbgordon
Racer

I've driven 911SC's and have owned a 964, 996 and two 997's. I think you're missing the boat on the "experience" issue. It's not a matter of speed or revs; it's a feel thing. The air-cooled 911 offered a much more visceral experience in terms of noise, closeness to the road and physicality. The new 911 isn't as loud, as rough and requires less exertion. That's perfection! (I digress: The incessant clutch chatter and pedal vibration are too visceral for my taste!) Put a set of bumpy 20's on your buggy along with a high-performance exhaust and you'll feel like it's 1980 all over again.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree these cars can be frustrating on public roads. After a couple of tickets, it's becoming more of a liablility rather than a fun toy.

Wish there was a track in my neck of the woods.

(wouldn't trade it for an earlier model though)
Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Allow me... to say that a base Carrera is more fun than an S because the S cannot stretch itself on public roads is... lame. Yo can still drive an S in lower gears above 4kRPM, and have more torque to accelerate.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 AM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Allow me... to say that a base Carrera is more fun than an S because the S cannot stretch itself on public roads is... lame. Yo can still drive an S in lower gears above 4kRPM, and have more torque to accelerate.
I'm not going to say one is more fun than another. But there is something to be said for the fun of less powerful cars, and I have been thinking about getting my wife a regular Boxster in part for this reason. Although I LOVE the car, I have been somewhat disappointed that I have virtually no opportunity to stretch the legs of my 3.6. I imagine the problem is more pronounced in the S. I realized when I test drove the cars that the 3.6 was able to perform far in excess of my ability to use it on the street. Nothing against someone who wants or needs more torque, but I sure as hell didn't need any more than I got. I do think the point of an S is that it kicks more *** on a track.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to hate my C2S