Sponsored by:

I'm starting to hate my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Want raw charisma in a water cooled 911?

Pick up a used 996 GT3. Performance bargain full of personality.

It's limits are high sure but the engine screams, it's rough and handles beautifully.

How would you compare your 996 GT3 to your 997S ?..like one better than the other ?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
How would you compare your 996 GT3 to your 997S ?..like one better than the other ?
997S is a much better street car.

996 GT3 is a much better track car and is set up that way:
- racing buckets
- DAS Sport rollbar
- Schroth harnesses (driver's side Hans)
- very aggressive track alignment
- racing brake pads

I like both and I like both more and more the way each is set up and when using them as they are set up.

The 997S is a competent track car but won't be stellar unless modifications that compromise streetability are made (especially alignment). Plus, being 6'5" fitting in the car with a helmet isn't fun. My head rubs on the headliner. I wasn't comfortable. I had to either get seats, stop driving or get something else. I originally had a deposit in for a 997 GT3 and once I did the math, and noticed that Porsche insisted it have a sunroof in NA, I figured for almost the amount required to trade in (for a CDN car), a little more would get me a 996GT3 (from the US) AND I keep my 997S. If I didn't drive my S I could sell it.

The GT3 is raw and not without its flaws but on the track it is great. In fact it is glorious ... the sound, the turn-in, the acceleration, the rev limit, the handling ... On the street ... not so much. I couldn't do a roadtrip in the car. When I was bringing it back from Chicago we drove 15 hrs. straight in the car. I couldn't wait to get out ... the droning, the pounding of the suspension over awful pavement. It is the last pure 911 - no TC, no PSM, nothing but ABS. It demands respect but when driven competently and treated with respect it gives so much back in return.

I'm keeping both.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...a very thorough and interesting comparison..would you say that you couldn't live without your 996 GT3, but could part with your 997 "s"?

which is faster in acceleration say 0-150 km/h in real driving ?

Quick Reply: I'm starting to hate my C2S