Sponsored by:

I'm starting to hate my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Oh, and the women do seem to like the Miata more than my 996.
Yeah, and most chicks would prefer some fresh cut flowers to the latest and greatest titanium driver . . . don't make it right. The Miata is "cute" - I'll give it that. Maybe that explains why the chicks like it. I'm just goofin' on you Miata guys. Having never driven one, I can't give it a fair assessment, but I'm fairly certain I would never choose one over my C2S.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Oh, and the women do seem to like the Miata more than my 996.
I can see that; ceteris paribus, most chicks dig anything convertible over anything non-convertible.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
rfedele
Racer

The Miata can't compete with a 997 (or any other P for that matter) as far as performance, but bang for the buck and it becomes a much tougher argument.

That said, the Miata is probably more "fun" in more situations because you can get near its limits more often - which was the point of the OP.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

Why, waxing down her nice curves of course!
Have you been abroad again?? You may need to find gals a little less au natural
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good one.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
Yeah, and most chicks would prefer some fresh cut flowers to the latest and greatest titanium driver . . . don't make it right. The Miata is "cute" - I'll give it that. Maybe that explains why the chicks like it. I'm just goofin' on you Miata guys. Having never driven one, I can't give it a fair assessment, but I'm fairly certain I would never choose one over my C2S.
Originally Posted by rfedele
The Miata can't compete with a 997 (or any other P for that matter) as far as performance, but bang for the buck and it becomes a much tougher argument.

That said, the Miata is probably more "fun" in more situations because you can get near its limits more often - which was the point of the OP.
The Miata isn't "better" than a 911 or vice-versa...they're just very "different". If you remove speed from the equation--and it's never been the most important thing to me--it doesn't sound so silly to talk about them as peers.

The part that got me in trouble last time was pointing out that my Miata was much more of a sports car than my 996 C4. Some people didn't like hearing that.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

If you remove speed from the equation...
... and size... and comfort... and reputation... and the woaw factor... and German engineering... and desirability... and history... and looks... and brand equity... and masculinity... and the price tag... and driver associations... and the rear seats... and novelty... and... and... and...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
... and size... and comfort... and reputation... and the woaw factor... and German engineering... and desirability... and history... and looks... and brand equity... and masculinity... and the price tag... and driver associations... and the rear seats... and novelty... and... and... and...
Ah, a Porsche snob...I knew some would appear.

FWIW, the only one of the items in your list that I consider an actual positive for the Porsche over the Mazda is the rear seats. The rest is subjective crap that means nothing to me.

You seriously think that "price tag" and "driver associations" (WTF even IS that?) are reasons to buy a car?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

subjective crap
Well, for beginners, I'm 6'4 and don't fit into the Miata with the top up. That's objective discomfort to me. Size can also be measured, so that too is objective. Brand reputation... completely measurable, hence: you guessed it, objective! German engineering... it's either German or Japanese or whatever engineering - that too can be objectively determined. History... hmm... what do you think? Can we count years? How about the price tag? Numbers? Objectively comparable? First-graders and up would think so. Now, how about masculinity... remember the male vs. female index study (http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...ars/index.html)... the Porsche 911 is the most masculine car in the world! Yupp, objectively measured! (And dont' worry, the Miata did not make the female ranking.)

So, if anything, it's "objective crap"!

P.S.: By the way, I don't just "seriously think", I actually SERIOUSLY KNOW that price tag and brand/user associations are reasons to buy a car. It's part of my job to know that "crap".
Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Ah, a Porsche snob...I knew some would appear.
Okay, I think my last post sounds harsher than it was meant. Just having fun here!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 PM
rfedele
Racer

... the Porsche 911 is the most masculine car in the world! Yupp, objectively measured! (And dont' worry, the Miata did not make the female ranking.)
Don't forget "Sally" from CARS was a chick, with a tramp stamp on the rear decklid no less!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Don't forget "Sally" from CARS was a chick
Ha ha, that's right! Wasn't she a 996? They had probably already started planning that movie when the 997 came out.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 PM
rfedele
Racer

Ha ha, that's right! Wasn't she a 996? They had probably already started planning that movie when the 997 came out.
She was a 996. I assume they didn't want to give away the design of the 997 by way of the movie, because they must have had it done before the movie came out.

I always thought it was a bold move by Porsche to "cast" the 911 as a girl, but that speaks to the confidence of the brand.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

...the Miata is probably more "fun" in more situations because you can get near its limits more often - which was the point of the OP.
I don't think that would make a car more fun, being at or near its limits more often. That's what I encounter every day driving my Mini, and it certainly is no fun for me.

Granted, mine is the underpowered version - the base Mini - and I often find myself pushing that tiny 4-banger to its limits all the time, putting excessive strain on the engine, no doubt prematurely shortening its life. And that's just to merge into fast moving traffic on freeways.

Although the car handles better than most in its class, the one thing I am constantly aware of is the frustration I feel in being at the car's limits most of the time and not being able to enjoy myself, much less have fun while I'm struggling with the gearbox to get the car to perform better. But it won't perform any better. The car is at its limits and that's the best it'll do. Hence the palpable frustration.

To me, a good analogy is using power tools. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a job done with underpowered tools. The tool heats up quickly, the work is sloppy because of the lack of controlled precision having the tool at its limits, straining. Whereas a professional tool with more reserve power than you actually need makes the job fun, and makes you want to find something else to use your powerful tool on just for the sheer joy of seeing a fine piece of machinery make short work of a job without so much as breaking a sweat, or, better said, warming up the motor windings. That to me is fun.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

I always thought it was a bold move by Porsche to "cast" the 911 as a girl, but that speaks to the confidence of the brand.
Porsche dictated that? Do you have a reference?

TIA

Quick Reply: I'm starting to hate my C2S