Sponsored by:

I'm starting to hate my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
I'm not going to say one is more fun than another. But there is something to be said for the fun of less powerful cars, and I have been thinking about getting my wife a regular Boxster in part for this reason. Although I LOVE the car, I have been somewhat disappointed that I have virtually no opportunity to stretch the legs of my 3.6. I imagine the problem is more pronounced in the S. I realized when I test drove the cars that the 3.6 was able to perform far in excess of my ability to use it on the street. Nothing against someone who wants or needs more torque, but I sure as hell didn't need any more than I got. I do think the point of an S is that it kicks more *** on a track.
I do not argue that other cars can be less powerful and more tossable and fun, but those are different cars, and certainly lighter cars. But I do not see the advantage of the base Carrera over the S in this regard - same car, same weight, less power.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think the point of this thread was to suggest that the S is better (or worse) than anything else; I thought it was expressing a view that the car didn't quite light the fire like other cars did in the past.

Clearly an S (as with any other P car) can light as many fires as needed! - The problem encountered is more a reflection on the roads and the law enforcement on them (same here in Europe), so IMO the best advice here so far is to Track it - track it lots - and then drive around the roads in a more leisurely fashion enjoying the relative luxury and smoothness of a wonderful car like this.

Or you could buy a motorised skate-board, these can give you massive thrills and the feeling of living on the edge when you use them on mountain roads - all safely within the speed limits!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

This thread definitively has a very good point. With modern cars increasing their performance capabilities so much, you can only enojy a small percentage of those in public roads. And a less performing car can become more fun to drive because of that. I recently drove the Mercedes C63 AMG...could not find opportunities to explore full power (let alone full braking or handling). So tracking these cars is the (partial) solution. Yet despite having more car than driver skills myself, I keep dreaming of 997 turbos and GT3s...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fer2367
I recently drove the Mercedes C63 AMG...could not find opportunities to explore full power (let alone full braking or handling). So tracking these cars is the (partial) solution.
I agree with everything stated so far. But, when life gives you lemons...
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Al...8&ie=UTF8&z=10
Watch out for FHP
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM
cag64
Instructor

From the very beginning all of us should realize exploring full potential of our "sports cars" outside of the track will not happen. I am not a track guy, so I just have to accept buzzing around town and taking longs trips. With this limited experience I still enjoy the power of passing slower cars, the solid handling, going in and out of curves. I bought my car knowing I would never exceed the envelope, but if I had to I could.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
p0rsch3
Intermediate

Very interesting perspectives- To me, my 997 makes simple things like going to the store for milk 2x as fun. I guess if it feels too tame, maybe make it feel more sports-car like? This is what I have done with my 996 and am in process with on my 997:

afterhoursautomotive.com sport pipes (true sports car sound and great rpm feedback)
PSS10 or KWv3 coilovers (I prefer the KW's but S owners may not want to give up the PASM)
Porsche or B&M SSK
KN Intake
ECU flash (InMotion has a good ECU upgrade for $300, and can map the egas to be more responsive) inmotionusa.com

These mods kept the general manners of the car intact, but added that extra raw edginess which adds to driving fun at all speeds.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

People often ask me why I drive Porsches, Ferrari's, and now a Lamborghini as well. I say the samething everytime, it is because I get a thrill everytime I start the engine. If you are paying more than 100K for a car, it better move you, make you want to not get out of it. If I ever loose those feelings, I guess I be buying a Lexus.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
People often ask me why I drive Porsches, Ferrari's, and now a Lamborghini as well. I say the samething everytime, it is because I get a thrill everytime I start the engine. If you are paying more than 100K for a car, it better move you, make you want to not get out of it. If I ever loose those feelings, I guess I be buying a Lexus.
You know, you could get those same thrills just by working as a valet at any restaurant in L.A.

....just sayin'.

And it'll be a lot cheaper too, with no out of pocket expenses. In fact, you'll likely make decent tips just from getting your thrills firing up engines on exotics - can't beat that!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bum
Turn PASM and/or PSM off and you'll be quickly reminded of how much the car really helps you in daily driving, plus you'll turn your well behaved sports car into a hyper go-kart. That's what I have to do to put the spirit back into my former challenging routes.
If PSM is intervening on public roads, you really have no business having a driver's license.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MrBonus
If PSM is intervening on public roads, you really have no business having a driver's license.
Ouch, Ian.

Did you forget the sugar coat?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
lthatch
Racer

"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" is how it has been stated to me.
Nevertheless, having a rear-engined, rwd, nimble, great braking car like my 997S is the "feel" that I look for in a sporting car. I definitely agree that the upgrades mentioned above enhance these qualities and my car's overall driving experience. It's expensive to improve on an already great car, but if you're bored and thinking about bailing, it might just be the ticket.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Ian, in parts of our fine country, there are still wide open roads that are very lightly travelled, and on a 90 degree or hairpin turn, it doesn't take much speed to test the car. Just sayin'.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by lthatch
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" is how it has been stated to me.
Well, whoever uttered that probably was never behind the wheel of a Lambo or an Enzo or a Bugatti Veyron.

I think I would have more fun going 0 to 60 in 2.46 seconds than in going 0 to 60 in 2 mins and 46 secs.

But I know what you're saying. Still, my Mini is a slow car and I drive it fast most of the time, but it's no fun at all compared to when I get behind the wheel of my 997 at street legal speeds.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
amar_kamath
Intermediate

well, i try to get the fun factor out of my car every day - right gear and right amount of throttle at the right time with the nanny button off can add a bit of fun to many turns and exits when the path is clear...
Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
p0rsch3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
True that buddy- I guess the question to ask onself is, "When I turn on my car, does it return the favor?" -Enough said there.. I know some folks buy these cars just for "the look", are not really into the driving aspects of it, and I could see how it might become tiresome in that respect.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to hate my C2S