GUYS WHO REMOVED THEIR SHIFTER BOOT/TRIMMING

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question GUYS WHO REMOVED THEIR SHIFTER BOOT/TRIMMING

Could someone who removed the 997 shifter boot with its plastic trimming please tell me where the tabs/clips are so I could lift it up safely?(Without braking the tabs) or how did you do it without causing collateral damage ??

I have the B&M instruction but it does not have the details. I dont want to scratch the console if I simply pry it with a flat head and dont want to break its tabs/clips.

Just contemplating in painting the rear console.

Thanks Gents
*cant find any details in the 'search'

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
topspd
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

You can see the clip points in my pictures posted here; http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1289414-post2.html
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by topspd
You can see the clip points in my pictures posted here; http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1289414-post2.html
Topspd,

This is awesome!! Big clear pictures! I Appreciate it.
Good thing you sent me that link, cause I was already prying it under the alum look triming, which I just realized now, looking at these pictures, that they are held by three torx! So the boot and only the boot is held by clips!

Thank much!

Happy Motoring!

Pictures courtesy of TOPSPD
Attached Images   
Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for raising this issue Carrera Mike, and thanks for the photos topspd. I had same issue a couple of months ago, and decided to quit before damaging something. I too thought the trim piece was clipped in, not the boot. Gee, now maybe I should get a short shifter.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Short shifter was a nice upgrade on my Cayman. I'd recommend getting the factory one so the cage is a drop in replacement. Worth the extra money in my opinion. You can then also sell it and revert back to stock when/if you sell the car.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks for raising this issue Carrera Mike, and thanks for the photos topspd. I had same issue a couple of months ago, and decided to quit before damaging something. I too thought the trim piece was clipped in, not the boot. Gee, now maybe I should get a short shifter.
You're welcome. Topspd saved me for making the mistake.

I'm removing the rear console to paint it with ext color. Still debating though 'cause i already have the belts and the gages in speed yellow.
I did have the rear console on my 996 in speed yellow and like Topspd said, it received endless compliments.

Mike

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-19-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
topspd
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

You might consider it in the galvano silver. Here's a pic from mine (I have the yellow gauges and belts as well, as you can see).

Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

It sure was a leap of faith to just rip the boot off by pulling on it, but that is how it is done. Why not take out a small loan and replace the shifter and E brake with alcantara while you are at it.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I did the rear console in Alum and the base trim in SY.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Been thinking about bringing in speed yellow to the inside, and constantly hit that 'it will be too loud/much or how will it wear over time'.

Can folks with yellow belts that have had them for 5+ years talk about how they held up ? I"m thinking the eventual dirt will show up on yellow belts, where black ones are not affected much over time (based on my 14 year old belts in my current car).
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Minok
Been thinking about bringing in speed yellow to the inside, and constantly hit that 'it will be too loud/much or how will it wear over time'.

Can folks with yellow belts that have had them for 5+ years talk about how they held up ? I"m thinking the eventual dirt will show up on yellow belts, where black ones are not affected much over time (based on my 14 year old belts in my current car).
Good question. I'm curious myself.

I had the Speed Yellow rear console on my 996. But that was it. Nothing else was ext colored inside. This car, already having the gages and belts Yellow, Im afraid it will have to much yellow.

Heres a pix of my 996(now gone )
Attached Images  

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-20-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:01 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the alcantara idea... like the pic above.
And I would go for the center console in yellow, I preffer it to silver, as it would be a large area with a new color in there. Have you considered alternatively to make it leather, black, like your seats, with yellow stitching?
Good luck post pics.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool UPDATE!!!

**** SLIDES OUT EASILY IF YOU TURN THE KNURLED PLASTIC NUT UNDER THE BOOT CLOCKWISE LOOKING DOWN with a channel lock pliers, CIRCILED IN BLUE IN PIX BELOW. (Im using VB997 & Topspd pictures)

It just a quarter turn and it releases the ****
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
**** SLIDES OUT EASILY IF YOU TURN THE KNURLED PLASTIC NUT UNDER THE BOOT CLOCKWISE LOOKING DOWN with a channel lock pliers, CIRCILED IN BLUE IN PIX BELOW. (Im using VB997 & Topspd pictures)

It just a quarter turn and it releases the ****
I disagree. While the nut unlocks the ****, it is still held by substantial friction on the shaft. It typically requires considerable force from the underside to free it from the shaft. It takes some caution to avoid punching oneself in the face when it lets go!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the looks of the galvano silver, but generally I'm not a fan of exterior color rear center console. It's just too much of a good thing to my eyes and doesn't blend well with the rest of the interior.

I just did the shift lever trim to bring some of my orange into the car and I think that's a great compromise. It really catches the eye, but it's not too much color.

(click for photos of disassembly and install process)

Quick Reply: GUYS WHO REMOVED THEIR SHIFTER BOOT/TRIMMING