Sponsored by:

977.2 XM availability...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 977.2 XM availability...

I don't understand the quandry with adding XM ot the 977.2...It's offered as an option...is it a big hassel at the dealer after the car arrives? Also...there was mention of the XM antenna being mounted dead center above the windshield on the Targa...is this the factory install?...even if so...why no somewhere inconspicuous...Any info will be appreciated because I'll be buying soon and ned to know what to specify as well as what is possible. Thanks! PS...nothing is visible antenna wise on my Cayenne with XM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I read, the GPS/XM antenna is combined - I reckon that is what the little cube of a lump is right above the rear window glass on my car. With the Targa roof, I can see why they cannot use that location. On a Cab, the "lump" is on soft top "lid". It doesn't look nearly as bad as that "shark fin" that my BMW had.

At any rate, there's a wiring harness that has to go from the antenna to the XM and also apparently a completely different PCM unit ( I read this on a post where someone had retrofitted a Cayenne.) It may be that newer cars are now coming prewired and with the compatible PCM.

Are you sure your Cayenne doesn't have a "lump" or similar antenna back at the rear spoiler?

Here's a pic of a Targa and you can see the "lump" on the roof.

http://www.porscheofboulder.com/shar...BizAutos&pid=1

Of course no promo shots or any of the literature or WEB site info shows any of that - maybe they don't have it on the Euro cars (just like they don't have bumperettes - which also are never in any promo shots).
Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

PAG blundered the XM option with an unsightly XM antenna wart with a hole on the roof. That antenna should have been mounted inside the rear window instead. Satellite radio is less than advertised - it works well on the plains and valleys but cuts off in canyons and cities. FM (or HD radio) in urban areas is plenty fine and Internet radio or an iPod elsewhere, for me.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Of course no promo shots or any of the literature or WEB site info shows any of that - maybe they don't have it on the Euro cars (just like they don't have bumperettes - which also are never in any promo shots).
Steve - no bumps (or bumperettes) on our cars and GSM is standard.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Now this is a drag...In Daytona Beach area...FM is hurting big time. I rely on XM for that reason. I'm not adverse to mounting inside of the rear window but was hoping for a nice factory set up as in my Cayenne ( no antenna visible, works fine always )...the Cayenne unit can be fitted into the 997.1's. Still hoping for more info.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ADias
PAG blundered the XM option with an unsightly XM antenna wart with a hole on the roof. That antenna should have been mounted inside the rear window instead. Satellite radio is less than advertised - it works well on the plains and valleys but cuts off in canyons and cities. FM (or HD radio) in urban areas is plenty fine and Internet radio or an iPod elsewhere, for me.
Kind of like, but not nearly as bad as, that periscope looking thing on the butts of the Cabs back whenever the "3rd" centered brake light became a US requirement. That was horrible.

I do wish we had HD Radio - odd that my BMW from 3 years earlier had it, but not in a new car? But I do enjoy the XM in this car and the Traffic info integration into NAV it provides is really nice.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The locations of the XM antenna on the 997.2 were chosen by Porsche to maximize the reception capabilities I'm sure. For the Targa, which I have, the location isn't ideal, but no other place would work short of putting it on the engine cover, and I cannot see that as providing very good reception unless you are in the south where you get clear view of sky in all directions and the angle is more upward.

I suspect the wiring of the antenna to the PCM in the 997.2 is the problem with post-fitting the XM factory solution. There are certainly options for running the antenna to other locations, but I strongly suspect you will find that reception will not be as clean (more cut-outs). I've got occasional cutouts from hillsides and other terrain/buildings here in the Puget Sound area all of the time.

A primary reason for getting XM, for me, was to get the navtraffic feed to supplement the GPS driven map and navigation system with the traffic congestion data provided to navteq by the Washington State DOT. If all you want XM for is music, I think you get more reliable performance and certainly better quality, but just using an iPod, flash drive, or home made CD with MP3's.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
A primary reason for getting XM, for me, was to get the navtraffic feed to supplement the GPS driven map and navigation system with the traffic congestion data provided to navteq by the Washington State DOT. ....
An iPhone does that nicely, thank you.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
An iPhone does that nicely, thank you.
Except its not usable on Verizon and AT&T coverage in my area is absolute crap... so its not an option for me....
Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Except its not usable on Verizon and AT&T coverage in my area is absolute crap... so its not an option for me....
You can use a Verizon Wi-Fi device and then use an iPhone (or iPod Touch) via Wi-Fi. But in a year or less the iPhone will be on Verizon too.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Ditto. Also, seems like the PCM mounted NAV would be easier to work with rather a little phone - but yes, ATT has holes all over my travel routes. Last thing I need is to be stuck in rural GA with no spare tire and no cell service.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
mambodoc
Pro

I rely on XM mostly for news etc...love my BBC... music minimally. I fear the dealer doing the install if it requires drilling to place the antenna. What a drag it is...
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not do what Chevy does with the Corvette; put an antenna inside (aka 100% hidden) both outside rear view mirrors. Then the radio can pick the one with the strongest signal. (at least that is what I heard they do)

But everyone knows Germans and electronics have never mixed that well.

Last edited by SeanInLA; 09-04-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Man oh man...I'd just like a clean, professional installation...The 08 C4S I'm considering will take my Cayenne unit as a retrofit without any antenna hassel...then again...things could be worse

Quick Reply: 977.2 XM availability...