Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I take it back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 09:15 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Default Should I take it back?

With just over 2000 miles on my C2S I decided to give my car a treat and took it to the dealer today for an oil change. Figured it couldn't hurt and would remove any wear particles.

The dealer( local, not the one I purchased the car from) treated me great, took me back to meet the technicians and put the car up on the rack so I could inspect it while the chief tech gave me a brief tutorial. They offered to wash and vacuum my car, which I politely refused, and had a nice dicussion with me on mods and other technical items. I even got a discount ($185 total) on the oil change.

The only thing I specifically asked them was to make sure not to overfill the oil because that had happened with my previous Cayman at a different dealer. Guess what, they over filled the damn oil.

I told them at the dealership after I checked the gauge but since the car was on a slight incline and had just been run they told me that it was filled with the recommended 9 qts and would most likely return to normal.

Got home and took the wife to dinner and just checked the oil on my return. Still one bar over.

Should I take it back or am I being overzealous (****) regarding the overfill?
Old 07-11-2008 | 09:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Good job on the early oil change. I always do this with all my new cars.

One bar is equal to approx 8 ounces. You are fine. If you want, snake a thin piece of plastic tubing down the filler tube, and pull off a cup of oil.
Old 07-11-2008 | 10:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Same thing happened to me on my $800 20,000 mile "service" late last year. I gave it a month and the gauge still showed over-full, so I got the dealer to remove some oil.

Tomorrow I'm doing my own oil change at 6000 miles on my Targa. Less money and aggravation.
Old 07-11-2008 | 10:31 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

What's the big deal with a tad bit o' extra oil? I would have voted "****"...however, now I am curious.
Old 07-11-2008 | 10:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
One bar is equal to approx 8 ounces.
Nope.

1 segment = 0.4 liters . . . . check your manual

0.4 liters = 13.525 oz [US, liquid]

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=12

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=16

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...62&postcount=1
Old 07-11-2008 | 11:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I'm confused. You state that it is "...Still one bar over..." How do you know it's a bar over with a digital gauge that may simply show full,--but then never shows you by how much.

The manual clearly states: "If the segments are filled in to the top line, the oil level has reached the maximum mark."

Do you have some other guidance?
Old 07-11-2008 | 11:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

ben: did you have a good time in Seattle? Fireworks were pretty good this year.
Old 07-11-2008 | 11:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

You bet! Thanks for asking.

Was up in the Space Needle during both shows - absolutely fantastic! I plan to post a thread with vacation pics later this evening. Feel free to check them out!

Btw, I'm looking to see if anyone here does their own work on their cars, i.e. has tools and jack stands for replacing brake pads - my Mini's need replacing. I'll send you a PM.
Old 07-12-2008 | 05:29 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Hi Ben - like your new photo. I guess it's looking upwards at the Space Needle but my first impression was the forward view from a cockpit towards an in-flight fuel tanker.
Old 07-12-2008 | 07:10 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Ben, glad to find other P-car owners with Minis. Just added an MCS coupe to the fleet last week!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:25 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

I'm confused. You state that it is "...Still one bar over..." How do you know it's a bar over with a digital gauge that may simply show full,--but then never shows you by how much.

The manual clearly states: "If the segments are filled in to the top line, the oil level has reached the maximum mark"

Do you have some other guidance?

Edgy01,

No other guidance really except for the manual, page 121 that you quote, "If the segments are filled in to the top line, the oil level has reached the maximum mark".

The next line reads, "Under no circumstances add engine oil".

I also searched the forum on oil overfill and and several members that track state that under hard cornening they get puff of white smoke out the exhaust. Can't be good.

I guess what realy pissed me off was the fact that I specifically asked them not to over fill.
Old 07-12-2008 | 10:58 AM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
You bet! Thanks for asking.

Was up in the Space Needle during both shows - absolutely fantastic! I plan to post a thread with vacation pics later this evening. Feel free to check them out!

Btw, I'm looking to see if anyone here does their own work on their cars, i.e. has tools and jack stands for replacing brake pads - my Mini's need replacing. I'll send you a PM.
Did you attend the historic races? Lots of P-cars in attendance, on and off the track. We went over for them, watching the 917 run made it worth it.

I've got a mini, but haven't done any work on it. I'll try and do my own, the dealer is in Portland (7 hour drive) and I've got all the tools needed to do anything on almost any car. My father told me I was "tool poor" - translation "You spend so much money on tools you don't have money for anything else".
Old 07-12-2008 | 12:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by KBS911
I guess what realy pissed me off was the fact that I specifically asked them not to over fill.
Well, they're not paid to be careful and take their time in filling up your engine with oil to make sure they don't overfill, even if you asked them to. It was a dumb answer they gave you, "Duhhh manual says it takes nine qts, so I put in nine qts." Nine qts in a completely dry engine, yes. But there's an appreciable amount of residual oil clinging to all that internal surface area of the engine block that never fully drains during an oil change. That's why I recommend in my procedures to add only 8 qts and then check the level and gradually add a little at a time to get it close to full, which should only take half a qt more at the most, and if it does it means there was a half qt of oil clinging to the internal surface areas that didn't drain.

If it bothers you, call the dealer and voice your concerns and ask them if they wouldn't mind draining a half qt just for your peace of mind. If they're nice about it they won't mind doing it. If they're not, they'll just tell you that it won't do the engine any harm. And you can point to the warning in the manual about not overfilling. And they'll probably say the manual is just a guide. But really, I don't think a half qt over is what the manual was warning about. Porsche probably realized that grease monkeys would be doing the oil changes, and so if 9 qts are added - and no more - no harm should come to the engine. I wouldn't worry about it myself. The level will probably come down in about a month or two.

Check this thread out for more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/351868-do-i-need-to-add-oil.html

--------------------------------------

Drax - thanks! I took that photo during my vacation last week. I'll have the thread and pics up in OT later this morning - quite a few pics that needed to be resized and uploaded. Give me an hr. Oh, and yeah, it does resemble that flying funnel!

Eric - sharp looking Mini! Mine can be seen here for those who missed it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=62

richc - no, didn't get to attend the races. So much to do, so little time. You've got a Mini too? Cool! Hey I'll shoot you a PM if Roberga is unavailable to help me with my brake job. Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up on it.

Quick Reply: Should I take it back?