Sponsored by:

K&N air charger install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 PM
nmporsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air charger install

I purchased the K&N air charger kit from vividracing for my 997 c2s. K&N does not list this kit for the 997,only 996. The rep at vividracing said that they have sold hundreds of these for 997's. Anyway, there is a small hose that runs on the back (engine side) of the stock air box and connects to an inlet to the airbox. Beings as this system was not made for 997 there is no direction on what to do with line on the conversion. It appears to be a vacuum line (for the tiptronic?). Vividracing rep did not know what to do, either.

Any advice out there?

Jean-Claude
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nmporsche
K&N does not list this kit for the 997,only 996.....

. Vividracing rep did not know what to do, either.

Any advice out there?

Jean-Claude
Jean-Claude -

My comments aren't intended to be smart aleck or demeaning but honestly, my advice is to take it back to Vivid and get a refund. If K&N doesn't list the part as a fit, then it's probably not going to fit. And if Vivid's own rep. can't help, I think you've been sold a bill of goods.

Get a refund.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Jean-Claude -

My comments aren't intended to be smart aleck or demeaning but honestly, my advice is to take it back to Vivid and get a refund. If K&N doesn't list the part as a fit, then it's probably not going to fit. And if Vivid's own rep. can't help, I think you've been sold a bill of goods.

Get a refund.
My comments aren't intended to be smart aleck or demeaning but honestly, why in the world would you want to slap a K & N filter on your 997S?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nmporsche
I purchased the K&N air charger kit from vividracing for my 997 c2s. K&N does not list this kit for the 997,only 996. The rep at vividracing said that they have sold hundreds of these for 997's. Anyway, there is a small hose that runs on the back (engine side) of the stock air box and connects to an inlet to the airbox. Beings as this system was not made for 997 there is no direction on what to do with line on the conversion. It appears to be a vacuum line (for the tiptronic?). Vividracing rep did not know what to do, either.

Any advice out there?

Jean-Claude
Sounds like the Vacum line I plugged when I installed my x-51 Air box. Only the stock air box requires it.

Plug it and forget it. Or take the line off and cap it on the manifold with a rubber cap available at your local auto parts store.

IMO I dislike Oiled filters like the K & N because of the Oil. It can get on your MAF sensor.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

The vacuum line controls a variable resonator for the airbox. This is strictly a noise control device and will not effect the drivability or durability of the vehicle as long as it is properly and completely plugged.

That being said, I have to say that the MAF sensor (an expensive bit of kit) is likely not validated to be robust to the oil amount used on the K&N element. We have already seen failures of that sensor on rennlist when aftermarket systems are installed. Furthermore, the running joke with the engineers who design and develop the OEM (original equipment manufacturers) systems is that K&N is good at keeping rocks, golfballs, and birds out of your engine, but little else. You might gain a tad of HP with the K&N system installed, but at the expense of long-term engine wear. If your cool with that...

A sponsorship sticker on a race car is not evidence that it is a good idea to install it on your engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
nmporsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by purrybonker
My comments aren't intended to be smart aleck or demeaning but honestly, why in the world would you want to slap a K & N filter on your 997S?
Purybonker:
When you use the the phrase " why in the world would you"........and you offer no advise: it IS smart aleck and demeaning. Look at the preceding post, he gave advice rather than just criticizing.

To answer your question, I converted my mustang cobra to a similar system and had dramatic improvements in low to mid range torque. I was looking for the same in the Porsche.

Jean-Claude
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Purtybonkers hasn't quite grasped the concept of replying to a post.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Send that POS K&N back to Vivid and get the EVOMS cold air kit if you are looking for more intake sound. The EVOMS kit uses a dry filter element so that the MAF sensor does not get ruined. The Koni Challenge Porsches use the EVOMS kit. The stock air box is already a excellent flowing cold air box anyway. The K&N so-called cold air kit breaths in hot engine compartment air. YIKES!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

I have not seen the EVOMS kit mdrums mentions, but one common fault with cold air kits is that they frequently ignore water splash. If you are strictly a sunny day driver, not to worry. However, if you happen to be caught out in a storm and unexpectedly drive through a semi-flooded section of roadway - there is a chance to hydrolock the engine and the result is HUGE engine damage. OEM systems are all tested for this possibility.
Again, might not apply to the EVOMS system mentioned, but be sure. Racing use does not validate this concern as they would not be racing if there was 5-6 inches of standing water on the track.

Quick Reply: K&N air charger install