Sponsored by:

How to lower a base 997 ? Need help from you experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Are you going for the look, or for the handling?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JoeShark
TechArt will lower your car the least. 15mm drop if your car has PASM, 20mm if you car does not.
Thanks for the info Joe
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Thanks for the info Joe
No problem. Also, H&R supposedly has the biggest drop (around 1.25"). Champion and Eibach are supposedly in-between TechArt and H&R.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good thread on springs. What about sways?

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Are you going for the look, or for the handling?
I have the same issues: a brand-new 997.2 and am considering lowering it a bit just for the look.

So, two questions: if I also add spacers, should they be something like 5 or 7 on front and 12 or 15 rear? I especially don't want to risk rubbing fenders. I just want a nice look to go with lowered springs.

Is it good or necessary to get aftermarket anti-sway bars if one lowers and widens? One of the sponsors suggested that to me, but I don't know if it's for improved handling or just to maintain the integrity of the suspension with lower springs (or something), given that it's a cabrio.

Thanks in advance if anyone can suggest an ideal setup that will just enough but not too much lowering and space the wheels nicely.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

This is a lot more complex than first meets the eye. (No pun intended). Lowering these cars dramatically changes their handling, and not necessarily for the better. I can't personally guide you in the 'how' part of this. You need to find a true expert in these things. Perhaps you can start with the Sharkwerks in the San Jose area. When you start to deviate from the settings that Porsche has spent literally years refining, simply for a cosmetic reason, you change the driving characteristics considerably. You can completely screw up a car UNLESS you find someone to guide you through this process. With clearance issues already on American roads you may want to seriously rethink this need, or be prepared to have the front end refinished every 6 months.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

I agree with Edge on his statement.

I have H & R springs on my car now...I also have widebody 51 offsets on a narrow body. It looks awesome. I have stock camber settings and the tires do not stick out of the fenders. I will know more after this weekend track run with this new set up to see if it rubs anywhere. will let you know how it handles and if it rubs.

My avatar shown is pre -springs..... Just pulling a hard left around the apex.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:25 AM
vrnkc
Advanced

I recommend Eibach. Lowers the car just One inch. I have not noticed any harshness in the ride quality. Articles that I have read in magazines says that as long as you do not lower the car more than One inch, there should be No problem with alignment and the stock shocks. Note: I paid $353 for my Eibach springs. I have read that the Techart springs are made by Eibach. It took me and my son 4 hours to install the Eibachs. The 997S is about 1/2 inches lower than the base 997. So the Eibach springs will actually lower the car more than the 997S. Hence, my lowered base 997 looks better than the 997S, yet not too low to cause serious problems with speed bumps etc. I would not go lower than One inch. As mentioned elsewhere, the H&R springs will lower the car more than One inch. Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A stock 997S, with a 10mm (.4 inch) ride height lower than a 997 normal, has significant ground clearance issues. The brake cooling ducts will be frequently hit on roadway surfaces you cannot avoid and the air dam will take an occasional strike. Lowering the car beyond this only makes it worse. How bad do you want it to be?

I just had coilovers put on my 997S, with .5 inch lowering. Harsher ride and more ground clearance issues. My objectives were reduced body lean and lessened deflection on bumps in corners. Achieved that, but at a price. Considering going to an airlift kit (2 inches at the front at low speeds) with an additional .5 inch drop. Probably another $4500 in damage. It won't make the ride any softer.

Lowering a Porsche 997 for purely appearance issues with springs only will invariably cause problems with hard ride, ground clearance and suspension alignment. Coilovers will also have similar issues. Only a very small fraction of owners do these modifications and post about them. Whether springs or coilovers, the ride will be worse (and it is quite firm to begin with). Probably few owners are willing to accept the driveability problems inherent in this "appearance enhancement".
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about going with slightly more rubber, IE...slightly higher profile tire on the same wheel size. Have not ever heard of anyone taking this approach so there must be some good reasons but am curious what issues it would cause. I know that on the 4's there is an issue of wheel diameter and a specific diameter must be maintained to keep from damaging the differentials. Speedometer error would be an issue. I also realize the impact on handling going to a higher sidewall tire but if one where trying to fill up the wheel wells a slightly taller tire, no taller than the 18" wheel tire setup already used on some of these cars, may not have that significant an effect on handling on a primarily street driven car.
On the 2 wheel drive cars a higher profile tire would actually raise the car a little bit but would fill up the wheel wells solving two problems at once. Obviously too simple, where are the errors in logic here ?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

Don't mean to hijack this thread JJBD236, Question to the experts pls;

drops:
H&R 1.2"
Eibach/Techart 1"

If you have an S(Carrera) which is lower 10mm(aprox .5"), does that mean that its factory PASM springs are shorter than the basic 911? If they are, would the S only gain .5" with the Eibach & .7 with H&R??

TIA
Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Don't mean to hijack this thread JJBD236, Question to the experts pls;

drops:
H&R 1.2"
Eibach/Techart 1"

If you have an S(Carrera) which is lower 10mm(aprox .5"), does that mean that its factory PASM springs are shorter than the basic 911? If they are, would the S only gain .5" with the Eibach & .7 with H&R??

TIA
Can't speak to the Eibach springs, but direct from the TechArt brochure, "15mm drop if your car has PASM, 20mm if you car does not."
Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Can't speak to the Eibach springs, but direct from the TechArt brochure, "15mm drop if your car has PASM, 20mm if you car does not."
Thanks Joe!! That tells me that it is the S or PASM spring that is shorter making the S model 10mm lower. I just want to eliminate the doubt I have that it might be spring rubber perches were thinner( that make the 10mm drop on the S).

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to lower a base 997 ? Need help from you experts