Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust while still sounding like a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

2011 C4
Anyone used a fairly simple and inexpensive by-pass, like

NHP Center Muffler Bypass X-Pipe fits Porsche 997.2 C2 / C4 / C2S / C4S / GTS. [size=13px]US$749.95[/size]

OR

from Topgear: PORSCHE 911 997.2 CARRERA SECONDARY MUFFLER BYPASS [size=13px]Brand:[/size][size=13px] [/size]Topgear[size=13px] [/size]Price:[size=13px] [/size]$380.52

[no connection whatsoever to either]
Old 10-25-2020, 01:11 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

One thing that I noticed is that all of the bypass x pipes look very much alike, but the pricing ranges hugely. Are they that much different from Fabspeed, which looks like a great product, too.
Again, any advice on the bypass--and the sound difference between stock

2011 C2S
Old 10-25-2020, 02:22 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

This could be helpful.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...omparison.html
Old 10-25-2020, 02:37 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by etom
One thing that I noticed is that all of the bypass x pipes look very much alike, but the pricing ranges hugely. Are they that much different from Fabspeed, which looks like a great product, too.
Again, any advice on the bypass--and the sound difference between stock

2011 C2S
I choose the Shark Werks crossover pipes. At lower RPMs, it's a bit louder but, I'd describe it as dropping the octave to a deeper burble. At higher RPMs it is noticeably louder. I thought it was a good pairing with the PSE. Note that Shark Werks went with a crossover instead of an X-pipe like Fabspeed and others.. A X-pipe blends the exhaust gasses while the crossover keeps them separate. The X-pipe blending produces a different sound and in some applications produces more power due to a scavenging effect. Blending exhaust gasses does, however, introduce more turbulence to the flow. In Shark Werks' tuning guide they tested both and claim losses with the turbulence outweigh the gains in scavenging thus they recommended smoother flowing crossovers. I don't care about a horsepower increase but it was interesting reading.

For pricing it's about fitment. Shark Werks is on the high end but they have a reputation of perfect fitment. Lower down the price scale you may have to wrestle it into place. Shark Werks also added hardware to affix the crossovers to the OEM mounting points. Compare that to Billy Boat crossovers which have to self support.

Last edited by Hula; 10-26-2020 at 06:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ALEV8 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
I choose the Shark Werks crossover pipes. At lower RPMs, it's a bit louder but, I'd describe it as dropping the octave to a deeper burble. At higher RPMs it is noticeably louder. I thought it was a good pairing with the PSE. Note that Shark Werks went with a crossover instead of an X-pipe like Fabspeed and others.. A X-pipe blends the exhaust gasses while the crossover keeps them separate. The X-pipe blending produces a different sound and in some applications produces more power due to a scavenging effect. Blending exhaust gasses does, however, produce more turbulence to the flow. In Shark Werks' tuning guide they tested both and claim losses with the turbulence outweigh the gains in scavenging thus they recommended smoother flowing crossovers. I don't care about a horsepower increase but it was interesting reading.

For pricing it's about fitment. Shark Werks is on the high end but they have a reputation of perfect fitment. Lower down the price scale you may have to wrestle it into place. Shark Werks also added hardware to affix the crossovers to the OEM mounting points. Compare that to Billy Boat crossovers which have to self support.
Based on my experience, I would completely agree with Hula's comment above about fitment of the Sharkwerks product. I would also recommend Sharkwerks based on the quality of manufacture and materials.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
I choose the Shark Werks crossover pipes. At lower RPMs, it's a bit louder but, I'd describe it as dropping the octave to a deeper burble. At higher RPMs it is noticeably louder. I thought it was a good pairing with the PSE. Note that Shark Werks went with a crossover instead of an X-pipe like Fabspeed and others.. A X-pipe blends the exhaust gasses while the crossover keeps them separate. The X-pipe blending produces a different sound and in some applications produces more power due to a scavenging effect. Blending exhaust gasses does, however, produce more turbulence to the flow. In Shark Werks' tuning guide they tested both and claim losses with the turbulence outweigh the gains in scavenging thus they recommended smoother flowing crossovers. I don't care about a horsepower increase but it was interesting reading.

Great overview of the difference between crossover and X-pipe. Wasn't aware of that. Being ignorant about the differences in these designs I chose Sharkweks too based on reputation and feedback here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Based on my experience, I would completely agree with Hula's comment above about fitment of the Sharkwerks product. I would also recommend Sharkwerks based on the quality of manufacture and materials.

+1 on overall quality and I would add fitment. Never heard about any fitment issues with Sharkwerks. Plenty of stories of poor fitment with the slightly less expensive options though. A few bad enough where they simply couldn't be installed. Some managed despite the poor design and poor built but based on those stories they were somewhat compromised or "innovative" installations with bending, banging and other forced actions to put it all together. In fairness though, some have had no problems at all with the low cost options so either the issues are due to the skill of the installer or the quality consistency of the lower cost products is lacking.

The difference in price between the options available have narrowed quiet a bit so I would have a hard time arguing in favor of the least expensive ones. Last I saw, the difference between the least expensive brand and Sharkwerks was less than $200.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Fabspeed headers to tips. I have the silicone elbow and cap on the air box. Car sounds like I want in first gear for about three seconds. Doesn’t sound like anything driving around. Cost plenty. The tips fall off while you drive, and are expensive. Never again. In fact anyone with PSE can trade me!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:16 AM
ergi
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 Bypass
X-pipe is just for sound but not for engine performance, you must not mix the 2 sides exhaust gas on the Flat6 !
No problem of back pressure, it's done mainly by the cats and not by the 180° tubes of the primary silencer.
The primary silencer is install on the 997.2 to pass the dB test in UE.
If you look at the 997.1, it's the same configuration without primary silencer except the cats are on the X-tubes and on the exhaust collector on the 997.2.
I have Milltek SSXPO130 bypass and PSE on my C4S 2010 and I like its sound.
Milltek is the UK version of Sharwerk, same shape, same steel, same thickness, import taxes for Sharwerks are expensive in UE.
I checked with a led connected on the PSE electric connector, there is no shut off by central unit depending of car speed or engine revolution on the 997.2. (it's only on 997.1)
So, it's not necessary to unplug the connector or to use a remote controller to have the PSE on all the time, just activate it by pressing sport exhaust button.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:34 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by J1SD
um...I think Tubi sounds the best - so subjective though. However, I get nothing but compliments from other Porsche owners. I don't know who said it doesn't sound like a Porsche??? In my opinion it sounds like an air-cooled Porsche Again..just my .02.

I will go out on a limb here and ask why you would want to add weight to an already heavy rear end - a la the PSE? If the goal is sound and performance any of the after market brands will deliver - with reduced weight compared to the factory set up.
I have a Tubi too.....love the sound!

Tom
The following users liked this post:
Fracture (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, everyone, for advice and opinions about 997.2 exhaust systems. This discussion will no doubt go on for ever.

Price-wise and quality, the Sharkwerks cross-over might make sense, and I am hedging in that direction. Anyone know of a Sharkswerk outlet in Canada in order to mitigate duty and exchange pricing?

Thanks again . . . .
Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Great thread! Did anyone notice this is a bumped thread from TWELVE YEARS AGO? hahahahaha some great info still though
The following 3 users liked this post by uphoto:
ALEV8 (10-30-2020), frederickcook87 (11-08-2021), PowderJunkie (10-27-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 10:14 AM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm still confused on the 997.1 center mufflers compared to the 997.2 center mufflers. is there no reason to replace the center mufflers on a 997.1? I've reached out the sharkwerks and they don't make it for the 997.1, just the 997.2. Are the 997.1 center mufflers "sporty" enough? I'm having a used set of pse mufflers installed on my car in the near future so wondering if I should also replace the center mufflers with something to give me a little more noise and performance.

Originally Posted by Ironman88

Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM
ehagendorff
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
I'm still confused on the 997.1 center mufflers compared to the 997.2 center mufflers. is there no reason to replace the center mufflers on a 997.1? I've reached out the sharkwerks and they don't make it for the 997.1, just the 997.2. Are the 997.1 center mufflers "sporty" enough? I'm having a used set of pse mufflers installed on my car in the near future so wondering if I should also replace the center mufflers with something to give me a little more noise and performance.
The .1 doesn't have the center muffler, only .2 cars have the center muffler.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:33 AM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah got it. So I guess what I'm seeing in the center portion of my exhaust system is the cats? The 997.2 has cats and mufflers in the center portion?
Originally Posted by ehagendorff
The .1 doesn't have the center muffler, only .2 cars have the center muffler.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
Ah got it. So I guess what I'm seeing in the center portion of my exhaust system is the cats? The 997.2 has cats and mufflers in the center portion?
The cats are forward of the center muffler on each side. In the photo above showing the Sharkwerks unit - it bolts up to a cat on each side.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust while still sounding like a Porsche?