Sponsored by:

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I gave up on trying to find the Bridgestones and replaced the two worn rear Pirellis yesterday. The Pirellis seem to have significantly less grip when they're new. I know these are still in "break in" but the first set was the same way until 3000 to 4000 miles. The nearly bald ones I replaced had amazing grip, I couldn't break them loose while the new ones are a little scary.
I had that problem as well when new, lots of tread squirm and it seems P-Zeros have a whole bunch of mold release film on them when new, so they do get a bit squirrley until a few 100 miles, then the mold release film gets worn out. This has been an issue with Pirelli tires for a long time.

Deanski
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

There is a $100 rebate detailed in Panarama for PCA members for those buying replacement Bridgestones.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yea if you can get them before the offer expires.

Deanski
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Gee I wonder when we will ever see Bridgestone RE050A's anytime soon?

Seems no one has these at all.

Did PCNA purchase these or make some deal with Bridgestone not to sell any RE050A's in "No" spec to any retailer? Tire Rack has no idea when they will be avalible.

Damn, these things are getting harder to find than cheap gas!!

Does anyone know if there are any NEW avalible ones for sale? Does anyone have them?

Your thoughts on this.

Deanski
Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Toyo T-1S's on my cars several years ago. I don't think they have that particular model anymore but I am sure that they replaced them with something comparable. What I can say is that the dry weather performance of these tires was great but the wet weather performance was amazing. I was so comfortable driving my car in every situation I got into. When it snowed, I left the cars at home.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:48 PM
CButler
Instructor

I have Toyo T1-Rs on my 997S and I've been pleased.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CButler
I have Toyo T1-Rs on my 997S and I've been pleased.
What sizes? Cannot find them in 305/30/19.

Deanski
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Damn these Bridgestones are harder to find than Osama!

You'd think they would openly offer these as they would sell like mad. I mean a tire that has a great performance rating, reviews, wear, and best of all PRICE!

How many really enjoy spending over $500.00 for ONE TIRE? OK so it's a performace car, but to charge over $500.00 per tire and only lasting up to 12K for PS/2's is just insane! With this economy, I'd rather put some of this to better use. I'm bleeding as it is.

My P Zero Rosso's are now at 17K!! Getting bald as Yul Brynner, they really HAVE to be replaced in the rear and soon as I'm pushing the limit. Mostly highway travel. Don't want a blow-out at highway speeds that's for sure!

BTW, how are some of these "Road Hazard" insurance coverage when the tire has a puncture, do they only patch which lowers the speed rating and real value of the tire? Or do they have some way for purchase of a new tire to replace a damaged one? I mean we are not talking about a mini-van tire that can be plugged or the inside patched. Are they worth it?

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Bridgestones found! Guess where?

Well, I was right...

Dealer got the set of Bridgestones in. Not too much more than what Tire Rack would charge for them with shipping figured in.

By Friday night, they will be on and the P Zero's off at 17K miles! Not to bad!

So, those looking for the Bridgestones may as well contact your dealer and order your set there!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Bridgestones now on the car!

Well, after my dealer said they could get them, they sure did! I stopped by to view the tires that they received. Here's where it gets odd....

The tires came from..... TIRE RACK! The very same that show as "back ordered" 305/30/19. Direct shipment from TR to dealer.

Speaking with service manager, Tire Rack and PCNA have an agreement with Bridgestone that as long as your service manager provided a valid VIN number, the tires ship.

BTW, price given by dealer is as close to TR price than most others would give. Very good price!

Anyway, they are on now. For the 25 miles back from the dealer, they feel much better, no noise (yet) on these, ride well, steering feels firm.

So, those that want Bridgestone RE050A N0 spec tires, you're gonna have to get them via dealer for now.

Thanks to all that have previously had the RE050A's on or currently now have on and gave an honest opinion. Way cheaper than PS/2 tires and just as good and if not better!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Deanski, I had a thread like this running late last summer. Not only could I not get Bridgestone from Tire Rack they would also not sell the Michelin PS2 to me the end consumer.

I have learned that Tire Rack has a monopoly on tires like these and the Porsche dealer and local tire dealers all get them from tire rack. Tire Rack and the manufactures are in on this scam together.

I do not believe in the so called "Porsche spec N series" tires. As long as the load rating is correct I will run any other brand I can find that I do not have to deal with Tire Rack!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I got my Bridgestone RE050's from Wheel Enhancement a month or so ago, they stock them, I just drove in and had them installed on the spot. I'm sure they can ship them too. I've been a customer for 15 years and they have always taken good care of me. I also think they PS2's in stock back when they were in short supply.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
I do not believe in the so called "Porsche spec N series" tires. As long as the load rating is correct I will run any other brand I can find that I do not have to deal with Tire Rack!
+1

N-spec is fine and I am sure there is something slightly different about them that is specific to the Porsche fitment, but nothing of great moment.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Deanski, I had a thread like this running late last summer. Not only could I not get Bridgestone from Tire Rack they would also not sell the Michelin PS2 to me the end consumer.

I have learned that Tire Rack has a monopoly on tires like these and the Porsche dealer and local tire dealers all get them from tire rack. Tire Rack and the manufactures are in on this scam together.

Oh Tire Rack care to comment? Tire rack where are you?.................
Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Well, I tried Wheel Enhancements, but they too were out.

At least I DID get them, AND the prices were as close to Tire Rack prices since I'm a PCA member and a member of our regional club CVR. The rears came out around $330.00 per tire. I'll have to look at the receipt to check, but not bad prices.

Great tires after the change from P-Zero's. They seem quiet, feel good on steering inputs. I went with a slightly bigger rear ( 305 vs 295 ) to add a bit more contact patch and to fill out the rear wheel well area.

Thanks to all those that added their comment on the RE050A's and what they thought of them.

PS/2's are just too much to spend on a tire when others are out there that can be just as good or better.

Oh yea, official mileage from the P-Zero's: 17,204 on original tires that shipped with the car. I hope the Bridgestones wear just as well.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Replacement Tires