Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice from the experts First Service!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header gasket pics

pics

Last edited by redduck996; 10-21-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

TD,
If I earned 300/hour I would be on Ferrari chat. Maybe someday.... hahahhahaha
ANd I would hope that an oil change doesnt take 2 hours..

Back to the question about 996/997 parts. I ordered the head gaskets for the header and they sent me the ones for the 996. I know this bc on the receipt the part number starts with 996. But the part number for the manifold gasket says 997. The question is, are they both interchangeable? The sales guys said they were but comparing the two they dont look that similar. Also the new one looks to be very thin and flimsy, the older one which seems to be two ply. And whats with the little flaps on the gasket? Maybe I have to get in there first to see what;s really behind the headers...

thanks guys
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
TD,
If I earned 300/hour I would be on Ferrari chat. Maybe someday.... hahahhahaha
ANd I would hope that an oil change doesnt take 2 hours..

Back to the question about 996/997 parts. I ordered the head gaskets for the header and they sent me the ones for the 996. The question is, are they both interchangeable? The sales guys said they were but comparing the two they dont look that similar. Also the new one looks to be very thin and flimsy oppose to the older one which seems to be two ply. I'll post pics.

thanks guys
my beef isn't with people changing their own oil or helping each other learn how easy it is to change your own oil. It is easy, and that's what a this kind of place is for. So if someone is being friendly and helpful about it, that's cool, but insulting other's manhood over it is irksome (and the truth is I do some of my own maintenance, I just don't talk about it much here). It would be like me going around saying that anyone who doesn't race their car is a poseur and a *****. That would not be civil or helpful. By contrast, sharing my track experience and helping others start would be helpful.

Also WHICH DEALER?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

hbl
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

hbl
If you want to do this yourself, you can and should. It is not hard at all.

If you want a cheaper shop rate, talk to the other dealers in the area (e.g., Chad at Porsche of Arlington), and negotiate the rate. There is book rate, and then there is book rate. There are enough local dealers that you can negotiate a discount. HBL has the best rate in the area for alignments, but I am sure you could do better than $600 for a simple service . . .

Or you can do it yourself, which is not a bad idea at all. But it doesn't mean you are a wimp, afraid, a loser or anything else if you choose simply to open your wallet rather than waste your time.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
What is it with the insults in this forum?
If you earn more than $300 an hour for a living, and you already know how to change oil on your car....you arguably are an idiot if you do not pay someone a lousy $600 to do the service. What ever happened to common sense indeed?
Yeah, what's with the insults?

It's not always about dollars and cents. There are plenty of intangibles that you're obviously not factoring in.

When I took delivery of my car I actually paid them to allow me to detail it myself, when I tipped the prep and detailer guy for leaving all the wrappings in place and leaving the car as is off the truck. And though I get paid tons more than that detailer, I know that my quality time with my baby means more to me than any monetary value attached to that spent quality time. Besides, he could never do as good a job detailing my car as I can - not only because I am more exacting and obsessive, but because he is paid by the job, and the faster he gets cars done the more money he makes. Time is money for him. Time stands still for me when I'm in a zone working on my car.

Does the 997 and 996 share filters?
If you look at the oil filters in the pic you'll see 996 stamped on them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...62&postcount=1
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Ben,

Let me spell it out for you.

Abe suggested that you are an idiot if you take your car to the dealer.

I stated my belief that it is not useful or constructive to insult others on this forum who make different choices.

I played devil's advocate and articulated reasoning why someone may choose to go to a dealer. Coochas does. Does that mean that Dave lacks common sense because he does so? No, and that is my point.

So playing devil's advocate in order to make the point that nobody here should be insulting anyone else is hardly the same thing as insulting others. It is the opposite.

As I have said many times, including in the post you redacted, if you enjoy doing it yourself, that is reason enough.

If you earn more than $300 an hour for a living, and you already know how to change oil on your car, which is pathetically easy to do and certainly nothing to write home about, you arguably are an idiot if you do not pay someone a lousy $600 to do the service. What ever happened to common sense indeed?

What is it with the insults in this forum? Not everybody is in the same place in life. If you enjoy it, fine. But there are valid reasons why some people choose not to change their own oil that have nothing to do with "fear" or "idiocy" or "not being a 'real' man" or anything that you say. Think a little before insulting others who may not be in the same place as you . . .

my beef isn't with people changing their own oil or helping each other learn how easy it is to change your own oil. It is easy, and that's what a this kind of place is for. So if someone is being friendly and helpful about it, that's cool, but insulting other's manhood over it is irksome (and the truth is I do some of my own maintenance, I just don't talk about it much here). It would be like me going around saying that anyone who doesn't race their car is a poseur and a *****. That would not be civil or helpful. By contrast, sharing my track experience and helping others start would be helpful.

Last edited by TD in DC; 05-08-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Thanks TD and OC.. I'll check with arlington..

So what about the pics attached? Anyone know if the 996/997 share the same head gasket?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks TD and OC.. I'll check with arlington..

So what about the pics attached? Anyone know if the 996/997 share the same head gasket?

Call and ask to speak with Chad -- (703) 684-6660. He can walk you through your questions. He is a great guy. PM me if you want additional information.

Last edited by TD in DC; 05-08-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
OCBen
Banned

Ben ... Abe suggested that you are an idiot if you take your car to the dealer.
I think you're misrepresenting his post. I really don't see the insult you speak of.
Originally Posted by abe
a little work on their car. Go ahead, pay the $600 for looking at the fluids and changing the filter/oil. I need to open up a garage just to do this for Porsche owners in my area.
It was also WC Fields who said " a sucker is born every minute"...or something like that.
BTW Cesko do not take these comments personally...it is really directed at all of those who are afraid of the dealership and are willing to pay alot for a little.
If you do it yourself....take pictures doing the job and keep the receipts for the fluids you bought and the filter. Porsche will have a hard time voiding your warranty if you have documentation.
abe
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCBen
I think you're misrepresenting his post. I really don't see the insult you speak of.
Feel free to interpret his post as you see fit. He said:

Originally Posted by abe
We are also talking common sense...what ever happened to the days where real men did a little work on their car. Go ahead, pay the $600 for looking at the fluids and changing the filter/oil. I need to open up a garage just to do this for Porsche owners in my area.
It was also WC Fields who said " a sucker is born every minute"...or something like that.
In light of abe's post, I think it is a very fair reading that he was saying if you pay a dealer to change your oil, you (1) lack common sense, (2) are not a real man, and (3) are a sucker.

Hey, it isn't the end of the world. It just seems like a trend in the 996 and 997 fora for people to insult each other unnecessarily. It is not necessary.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey, it isn't the end of the world. It just seems like a trend in the 996 and 997 fora for people to insult each other unnecessarily. It is not necessary.
Fora you say? . . Fora??? . . . Geeze, now I know why you're wound up so tight.

Nobody says fora in these and other similar forums. Hey, you can take a little ribbing, can't ya?

Yes, I know it's a Latin word. But so is stadium. And who goes around saying stadia when they're trying to say they've been to several football stadiums, except someone being pedantic? Try to fit in, will ya, and read the banner up above like everyone else and don't try to make yourself better than the rest of us! Hey, that's just a little ribbing, okay? You like to rib others, right? I'm sure you can take a little ribbing every now and then, right?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
a little work on their car. Go ahead, pay the $600 for looking at the fluids and changing the filter/oil. I need to open up a garage just to do this for Porsche owners in my area.
BTW Cesko do not take these comments personally...it is really directed at all of those who are afraid of the dealership and are willing to pay alot for a little.
If you do it yourself....take pictures doing the job and keep the receipts for the fluids you bought and the filter. Porsche will have a hard time voiding your warranty if you have documentation.
abe
But my favorite Field's quote is "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money."
Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

......, if you enjoy doing it yourself, that is reason enough.
I've been saying that for years.
Hell, when I was a teenager I would 'DIY' several times in a day and then go out for lunch.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Coochas
I've been saying that for years.
Hell, when I was a teenager I would 'DIY' several times in a day and then go out for lunch.
Me too. But in all seriousness, I do various maintenance chores on some of my cars, including my ex race car and my 996. But I have never thought that such routine maintenance as changing oil or waxing a car is "fun." Rebuilding an engine is fun. Changing oil or waxing a car is tedious. The most important point is that there are many different reasons why people make different choices.

Quick Reply: Need Advice from the experts First Service!!