Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabs with black interiors - hot in summer sun?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabs with black interiors - hot in summer sun?

My last cab had a linen interior and I loved it in the summer even though it was a bit of bother to keep clean. It was really nice that I could leave the top down in parking lots in the summer sun.

I often thought how it would be a pain to have a black or dark interior and have to put the top up much more often while parking or risk climbing into a pizza oven.

But a bimmer fan friend of mine assures me that cab interiors these days have reflective coatings and that a dark colored cab interior is no different than light in terms of heat absorption.

Sounds like a "bill-of-goods" to me. What do you think?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
My last cab had a linen interior and I loved it in the summer even though it was a bit of bother to keep clean. It was really nice that I could leave the top down in parking lots in the summer sun.

I often thought how it would be a pain to have a black or dark interior and have to put the top up much more often while parking or risk climbing into a pizza oven.

But a bimmer fan friend of mine assures me that cab interiors these days have reflective coatings and that a dark colored cab interior is no different than light in terms of heat absorption.

Sounds like a "bill-of-goods" to me. What do you think?
BMW provides their new convertibles with a special surface texture that reduces the amount of heat they absorb. Porsche doesn't offer that type of special seating surface as far as I know. I had a black cab with black interior, and never fried my backside. I know black absorbs more heat than light colors, but I've never done a side by side comparison to see how it translates in comfort difference. Any discomfort from sitting on a hot seat was more than compensated for by the pleasure of taking in the smells and sounds of the car.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Wait for the '09. Ventilated seats may solve your issue with black leather seats.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 449 Likes on 293 Posts

I have a cab with a black interior also. No real issues, but, yes it is hotter than tan. And I think it looks better too.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Our friend has a triple black cab. I have used it at the shore and it gets HOT esp when parked topless. OTOH the cabin cools rapidly with the right road and speed
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a black interior coming on my TT roadster. When you order S-line package, which I wanted, you have one color choice for the seats - black. I'm willing to live with it, although I would have preferred a lighter color. Yeah, the interior on the P-car (coupe) gets hot in summer, but not really too bad. Plus, black interior looks great.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have any problem with mine. I would close the top if it's parked under the sun over 5 mins anyway...not good for the leather and the butt.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what i have learned over the year of owning black interiors. When it is hot outside the interior is hot no matter the color. I live in Houston, Tx and the interior of your car is hot in july whether it is black, gray, white, clear, whatever. It it is hot it is hot, and the color matters very little in this situation.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Here is what i have learned over the year of owning black interiors. When it is hot outside the interior is hot no matter the color. I live in Houston, Tx and the interior of your car is hot in july whether it is black, gray, white, clear, whatever. It it is hot it is hot, and the color matters very little in this situation.
I agree-my first Boxster had a black interior, and the second graphite gray. It's all academic-both are hot when it's hot. Buy the color you like. Black interiors sure are easier to upkeep, especially on cabs.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I don't have any problem with mine. I would close the top if it's parked under the sun over 5 mins anyway...not good for the leather and the butt.
Plus bird poop, pollen, dust ,etc
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here in the summer when temps are in the low 100's it doesn't matter what color your interior is, it will be hot. my biggest problem is the blessed steering wheel , damn... hard to drive with your knees.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

close the top when parked for a while. tint windows and use a heat shield if you are in hot zones. i cover my car if it's parked all day outside at work.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stupid looking as they are, I use a fitted sun-shade when parked in the sun for a duration. Works very well in keeping the interior much cooler. It also protects my leather dash as well.

I say to each his own and I'm only trying to protect what I have for as long as I can.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close the top. I've seen people in the past stand by an open cab parked in a beach-side lot and p*ss in it. I've also seen people throw lighted cigarette butts into cabs with their tops down. If you;re happy living with that knowledge then by all means leave your top down.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
close the top when parked for a while. tint windows and use a heat shield if you are in hot zones. i cover my car if it's parked all day outside at work.
I close the top on the TT, and put a sunshade in the front windshield. I don't cover it, mainly because if you do after driving it, it will certainly scratch the finish. Better to put a few coats of a good UV protectant sealer such as Zaino on it. That's what I've done with both of my cars.

Quick Reply: Cabs with black interiors - hot in summer sun?