Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my story is simpler than the rest.

In May of 2005 my daughter (my youngest) graduated grad school, she immediately got a job which began in June of 2005, and in July of 2005 I decided that I deserved a reward. I sold my SC430 and purschased my 997 cab. I always loved cars and always loved Porsches but never owned one. The 997 was a great decision.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by draxa
I was that little guy in the Porsche ad.
So true, so true...

In my case because is the best family car.... I mean, is the best sport car that I can use on a daily basis, still take the family anywhere I want, without loosing the great feel for the road. And after parking it, always makes me look back at it and smile... and somehow thinking about how it was made, the labor, the german engineering... it is just so cool.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Any men who loves driving should have a Porsche 911 in his garage. That's all.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
dog_tired
Advanced

Fell in love with the the 911 as a kid and never thought that I'd get to the point in life where priorities would alter enough to join the club. I'm so glad that I did.
I was the kid in the commercial as well -- and now I'm the guy smiling every time I park, get out, and take one last look over my shoulder as I walk away.
What an awesome car.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eqs
For me, it was because I lost my joy for driving just for the fun of it. I've had fun cars before, but nothing that puts a smile on my face like top down, pressing the smile meter around a big sweeper and drifting ...... just a little bit. Oh ...... and also tripping the rev limiter too

What about you guys. Why did you buy?

Cheers
The design, passion, and history... of machine, driving, and racing.

Currently in AWE of my Cayenne turbo S and impatiently waiting for the DFI and PDK 911.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
eqs
Advanced

It's really interesting to note that we are all very different ....... but yet similar when it comes to your Pcar. We all love them ...... with a passion! Great stories and anecdotes guys. Happy guys, make fun guys ...... life's too short to be unhappy. Enjoy your Pcar to the fullest, but always be careful.

And by the way, it's really not the best idea to trip the limiter - Porsche doesn't like it - especially while still under warranty.

Cheers, and all the best guys
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hmmm, I needed a car....

Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Just a childhood dream come true.

Jay
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my M5 new (3400 pounds), tricked it all the way out with a Frank Fahey rebuild in 2001 (non-economic but highly recommended), and in a lucky break drove their factory M School in Spartanburg last year. (Non economic but highly recommended). Great guys and a good experience, but I decided then that my next car would be smaller, not bigger. All the BMW's were bigger than my M5.

Once you come from that set of premises, there is nowhere practically to go but Porsche. I saw Porsches and occasional Ferraris growing up, and always wanted one. (Highly recommended.) So here I am, and there goes the neighborhood.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have wanted one since I first sat in a 914 in high school. I told my wife when we were dating that the official announcement of my mid life crisis would be when she came home and there was a red 911 in the driveway. When she drove up one day 10 years ago they were unloading a white with red interior Targa.

The red car came later and when I saw my current 997 my wife, God Bless her, said "you'll be mad at yourself for the next 20 years (I was by now reaching for the phone) if you don't buy it"!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

This video explains it all (which ever year/model you have)

http://www.coochas.com/porsche/Resou...0Evolution.wmv
Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
jackball
Track Day

Wanted one since I was kid. And like Wachuko, it is my family car. Previously I had a 06 Nissan 350Z, but couldn't carry my 2 young uns because it was a true 2 seater. Now I can even be part of the carpool, having a third kiddo in the front seat if necessary thanks to the built-in airbag bypass sensor! Now after having it, I don't think the 350Z is a sports car at all.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
REV195
Intermediate

Pure Dumb Luck

Had a couple of "fun" cars over the years -- 1970 Corvette LT-1 convertible, 280ZX turbo -- but nothing like this. Do recall going to the LA Auto Show in the early 80s and seeing a lot of beautiful cars. Off to the side of the show room floor people were standing all around something and but couldn't see what they were looking at -- went over -- turned out to be a Porsche. Hardly anyone was talking -- just looking and admiring. Beautiful then, better now. (One other anecdote from that show -- saw a group of 3 or 4 Japanese businessmen, all with dark suits, notebooks, and measuring tapes, going over a Ford -- and the Ford guys looking on with bemused smiles on their faces -- if they only knew.)

After my last car, BMW 328Ci, thought I would check out a Porsche. Even got to test drive one for almost a full day, but pretty timid driving since it wasn't "my" car. But, late life crisis, bought one: 2006 997 C2.

Then fell in with a couple of tracksters at the local PCA. After first weekend of DE I was permanently hooked. Marvelous car. My kids ask now if I will ever have a different brand, and the answer is a firm no. Even if you are positive you will never do a DE again, try it for at least one weekend so you know what this car can do. A revelation.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad owned a 1972 911T from 1972 through 1989, and many of my best memories of him involve that car. He died in 2000, and my wife always said she knew I was going to get one at some point after he died. Owning a Porsche is my tribute to or remembrance of him.

And I've called every one "Charlie," because that was my dad's call sign in the Air Force.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was that kid too. Then in 1989 I bought an 86 cab. I lost my porsche virginity. I'll never forget the first time I took a buddy of mine for a little drive in the mountains. I was heading east on 178 here in centeral cal. ("the canyon" B.T.W. a fantastic drive if anyone is interested) and we hit the mouth after traveling pretty quickly across the rolling hills of orange orchards, anyway at the mouth of the canyon, the road narrows and the road gets pretty twisty, pretty quicky, we went from 90 to that first corner at about 45 it what seemed like one second, my buddy, a life long friend and car guy did everything but crap his pants, thinking, ok, this is it we are going to hit the wall of the canyon. After a spirited top down drive for about 45 minutes. I let him take the wheel, and while sitting in the pasenger seat, a place I had never sat before, and teaching him how to "drive a Porsche" I realized this was no ordanary automobile. I mean I know I knew, but until I had expressed it to him, while entering a big sweaping corner, "Now John, set the back end, that's it, NO, keep your foot in it, NO !!! really keep your foot in it"
and as the *** end of the car honkers down and the car feels like it is on rails I realize in that moment there really is no equal....

Quick Reply: Why did you buy - your - Porsche(s)?