Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per looney2n (above) the folks at Hendrick in Charlotte were friendly and courteous to my wife. At looney2n's suggestion, I contacted Carrie Walker who provided a pleasant experience for me (over the phone) and my wife in person. (thanks to looney2n, BTW!!!)

This is in stark contrast to the arrogant attitude of "Richard" at Baker in Charleston SC. See: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=23

I really don't get the thought process that would make a CAR SALESMAN feel as though he can be arrogant in dealing with the sort of folks that might be buying a car in this price range.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I've been encountering impressive levels of lousy service in trying to deal long distance on lightly used C2S's. I'm semi-retired and willing and able to deal on and purchase the right car just about anywhere in the US. In searching the net (PCNA and general used car sites) I've encountered a number of interesting cars, all of which as luck would have it, have been in the inventories of "Premier" Porsche dealerships (as they are labelled on the PCNA site). Here's a summary of my experience...
<snip>

hmmmmmmmm seems to me that phone conversations instead of email would have alleviated a portion of these bad vibes.

i too tend to send to many emails and not make enough phone calls.

cheers

Craig
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I've dealt with arrogant folks from many dealerships locally. BMW, Porsche, Merc .... same/same the wholeshebang.

I trade quite often and like someone who is not just out to screw me over. And, I like 'relationships', too. I buy my trucks from the same fella for over 25 years.

This site put me onto Porsche of North Olmsted in Cleveland, OH. I called Bernie (CEO) and he gave me a price on the phone for a new spec'd 997 in 2 minutes. It was $7000 better than the $500 off MSRP my local dealer sprung for. Insane.

Chad and Chris at PNO are very EZ and terrific to deal with as well. When my present lease is up in 11 months, I'll be getting another P-car from them again. It was a very nice transaction.

Give 'em a try. Or you can wait 11 months when I turn in my C4S coupe !
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Try Scott at Excell Auto in Boca for a broker.
YOU MUST BE KIDDING......
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
YOU MUST BE KIDDING......
4.5 years ago...maybe he's changed jobs.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I saw a few new faces at Nashville Porsche last week. My son and I decided to check out the new cars so we walked the entire sales floor....not one single "Hello" from the sales people. The service department and parts counter is the total opposite.

I don't get it.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, funny thread, I didn't feel a lot of negativity when I got my car.....of course my opening statement was " Hi, I'd like to broaden my horizons"

I started the deal with no nonsense, and tried to maintain that persona the whole time.....when someone asked me about tinting my windows I told them if the price was right: which is was not! 400 bux! I told them the car is a coupe! and then the man went on about the big rear windshield.......

what a bone head! I asked him to check on the price to see if he could do 'any better' which he did of course......

it's all in how you present YOURSELF, if you present like a push over with no expectations, then that's what you'll get.........
I felt very confident, and that showed through........

they need US more than we NEED them, that's the key!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 AM
munkholm997
5th Gear

Well, well, I have not experienced that at all (with slight modifications). I'm from Denmark and now live in Germany. In Denmark the service is OUTSTANDING! Last time I had a suddenly strange noise when turning left, I just drove to the dealership, no appointment at all and they were VERY busy but took the time to check it out an fix the problem.

I have also spend a lot of time with them to try to find the right cars and they have been very helpful. The dealerships in Denmark are owner by the importer of AM, Lambo, Lotus and so on.

In Germany its the same thing, maybe even better service. The two dealerships in Hamburg are owned by Porsche and are VERY helpful and know their stuff.

Although I can add that the dealerships in Germany that is NOT owned by Porsche have a tendency to have the douche-bag factor, and I simply don't deal with them. In my world I'm a customer, and I don't care what brand they a selling, I expect great service and not some arrogant debouch-bag.

Last edited by munkholm997; 10-28-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Porsche at Newport Beach certainly would set the gold standard in arrogance
and less than desirable attitude. I went in last summer to find a 997 with my
20 year old son a good attitude and $s... Walked out thinking these people would not make good salesmen! In all fairness that is not everywhere Peoria
and Springfield il have good salesmen
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

munkholm997,

I LOVE your color combo. It is very hard to find around here. I talked to a few dealers, and they called it "very European"! Either way, I love it. I tried to find either arctic or seal with the beige interior, but no go. Particularly as I was searching for used cars.

Enjoy!

Kevin
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Park Place in dallas can go eff themselves. I wanted to buy a car from them and they blew me off. Porsche of Roslyn replied back quickly and made me want to buy a car from them and I did. I'm glad I didn't buy from park place. I ended up with a lightly used GTS instead of a C2S for just a little more money.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I told the manager at Nashville Porshce at a Porsche Club banquet that their sales people are less than desirable and he said that he'd heard that from a lot of people. One year later....still the same.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I couldn't get any love from most of the local dealers except one, but that was after I had already placed an order with a dealer in NJ. I will say that the dealer in NJ (Paul Miller) was exceptional to buy from.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not a car salesman but my guess would be that email inquiries from strangers do not yield many sales. Since these guys are on commission, they don't want to waste their time on an activity that rarely yields a good result.

In my case I always call the dealership and talk to the salesman. I believe that gives a salesman an opportunity to size the prospect up to determine if he is a serious car buyer. I made a couple of calls this summer to dealerships that were well over an hour away from my house. In both cases the car salesman was willing to meet me at a location that was much closer to either my home or place of business.

Bottom line is that the Porsche salesman and GMs at the dealerships close to me are very professional and courteous, but so are the Audi, BMW, and MB salesmen. So I expect that salesmen do not like responding to emails, unless they know you. After my initial call for example, most of my communication is via email and the salesmen are very responsive.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
I saw a few new faces at Nashville Porsche last week. My son and I decided to check out the new cars so we walked the entire sales floor....not one single "Hello" from the sales people. The service department and parts counter is the total opposite.

I don't get it.
1+. The dealership service guys are great. The sales team I suspect is still upset that I didn't buy my current car from them. I bought from a friendly salesman at the Ferrari dealership for a good price on a great car. I still go back there and look at their stock of P-cars and also, errr, a few Ferrari's as well. He knows that if he shows me lots of cars and lets me walk the floor that sooner or later he'll sell me another car.

I know there's a bunch of us sales guys on this forum and all agree that the simple basics of good manners are out with most sales people.
Maybe if the dealerships got rid of all the chairs they'd be up and about a bit more. Who knows...

Quick Reply: Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.