Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.

I've been encountering impressive levels of lousy service in trying to deal long distance on lightly used C2S's. I'm semi-retired and willing and able to deal on and purchase the right car just about anywhere in the US. In searching the net (PCNA and general used car sites) I've encountered a number of interesting cars, all of which as luck would have it, have been in the inventories of "Premier" Porsche dealerships (as they are labelled on the PCNA site). Here's a summary of my experience...

(1) Melbourne, Fla - Sent an email asking for a price quote. Received response: "call me" - no quote. I sent an email repeating request for price quote. Ten days or so later received chastising response: "car sold - if you'd called when I told you to, you wouldn't have missed it".

(2) Princeton, NJ - sent an email to confirm used and/or demo status of an '07 C2S. Received response from Sales Mgr. - "will call or have one of my advisors call". Sent reply directly to Sales Mgr - "no need for call - I just want to know if car is a demo or used, if not a demo I'll come by to see it". No further responses received from dealership. Apparently the car is a demo, they assume my lack of interest and can't be bothered to reply.

(3) Parkplace - Dallas, Tx - sent an email to ask about price on a 9k mile C2S cab listed at $83k if navigation module were added by dealer. Received response quoting the cost for the module itself and a "make me an offer" invitation on the car. So I made an offer at around 90% of asking price - with dealer installed nav. ($83k for 9k mile '06 C2S cab with few options is pretty rich)

Received response - "NO" - that's it, just "NO" in capital letters, no further remarks, questions, apologies or counter-offers. Sent further email asking about clarification of pricing with nav installed and suggesting upward room on my offer because I like the color.

Received response that they would not be able to work within my price range, but still declining to set a price on the car with nav. Obviously not interested in screwing around installing a nav module to make a sale.

This is hilarious - the last 3 or 4 vehicles I've purchased have been over the net, primarily with emails. Of course, sales people are often reluctant to enter into this form of negotiation because statements and proposals are documented and they lose the ability to apply sales "skills" - exactly the reasons why I prefer to use this medium.

You want the best deal on your next new-built Porsche? Spec your car and send an email to every dealer in the US asking for a quote. Pick the one that makes you the best offer. I've done this a number of times with other brands.

I know it is the nature of the car shopping beast to encounter challenges every step of the way - but Porsche dealers seem to aspire to a level of arrogance that I have not encountered with other brands.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

park place Texas in my experience is a bunch of douchebags. I bought 2 cars from them, was on the list for a gt3 1.5 years ahead of time and they decided to auction my car off instead of sell it to me. Oh and they're a huge sponsor and partner of my employer, and they knowingly screwed me. Their service department is awful too, maybe it's because they've got mercedes benz next door there...

I've gotten some really good treatment from all sorts of dealers all over the country and they were the worst- including ferrari dealers that I pop in on from time to time.

For some reason, they're failing to read the writing on the wall that any potential buyer is a current and future meal ticket...and should be treated nicely.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that many porsche dealers were surprisingly unpleasant / arrogant / dishonest. I also noticed the resistance by some to giving prices over email --- at least really decent prices --- and dealers trying to conceal that cars are "demo" vehicles. I would try calling as well as emailing. Although you don't have a record of the conversation, some dealers seem more willing to do this. It doesn't sound like you will get intimidated -- so don't. Unless you are looking for a rare car, buyers actually have most of the leverage. Dealers don't like that....
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Kamran
Intermediate

Sorry about your poor experience. I am in the market too and what you described sounds very familiar. In general, they do not want to give any numbers in writing and they prefer a phone conversation for whatever reason. I do not get offended as I assume that many of them are the yesterday's used car salesmen of some unknown lot and the only difference is that today they are wearing a white shirt and a tie at some porsche dealership. This is certainly not limited to porsche and you will find them at most other brand dealerships. Be patient and give your business to those who deserve it. I did a search on this site and came across a few recommended names and dealer sites. I am now screening them on a more frequent basis than others just to find the right car.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

my local dealer Rosen Imports, has been great to every person I have ever sent there. They are in Plymouth Meeeting PA. If you call ask for Bill, and tell him the guy with the Supercharged 997S sent you
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

I would think that with new 911 sales down 43% in March 2008 versus 2007 and down 35% for the first three months of the year, that there would be a great incentive on the part of dealers to do business. Also, seems to me that there is a lot of low mileage product out there on lots, which means that there should be some interest in getting product off the books.

Now, in their defence, I have heard of dealers complaining of internet "hacks" making a lot of non-serious inquiries with no cash to back them up. I too have made several email inquiries on from teh Porsche pre-owned lists, and have always tended to receive somewhat terse responses. That said, I do find the service quite different when I call and chat to the sales rep, as, to the extent you can clearly demonstrate that you have a specific interest in a certain type of model, and can speak options, etc, then they know you are serious and actually open up a bit.

Still, I would say that the best response to an email inquiry is a detailed reply with options / pictures etc, followed up by a call from the dealer to discuss further.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

that's too bad. my p-car buying experience at danbury porsche has been by far the most pleasant of all my car purchases.

i do think, however, that being a long-distance buyer makes a huge difference. as with other 'luxury' sales, p-dealers love and rely on repeat, loyal customers. They build long-term relationships. They know many p-owners put no more than 5k miles on before trading up to a newer porsche. I can't even fathom the amount of used p-cars which are traded/bought/sold to/from repeat customers by p-dealers that are never publicly advertised. that being said, i would imagine they're not too concerned with one-time sales. if the difference is b/w selling now to a long-distance sale they'll never hear from again versus waiting a bit longer for some local guy who'll buy now and then likely be shopping again a year later, i think they'll take the chance. imho. anyway, good luck.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
I would think that with new 911 sales down 43% in March 2008 versus 2007 and down 35% for the first three months of the year, that there would be a great incentive on the part of dealers to do business.
i'm assuming these are US sales? Don't know if true and what breakdown by model, but i heard porsche has been diverting cars originally destined to the US market to more lucrative emerging markets, e.g, china, russia, etc. so, if true, the lower sales may not be necessarily related to lesser demand and available supply. a more accurate indicator would be how long existing inventory sits. just a thought....
Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
i'm assuming these are US sales? Don't know if true and what breakdown by model, but i heard porsche has been diverting cars originally destined to the US market to more lucrative emerging markets, e.g, china, russia, etc. so, if true, the lower sales may not be necessarily related to lesser demand and available supply. a more accurate indicator would be how long existing inventory sits. just a thought....
I hear sales are up in Canada and prices are 25% higher than the US - even with the CAD $ at a premium to US $. I just shake my head and keep shopping in the US.

But it is entertaining listening to the Canadian dealers explain how it's better to buy a new-in-the-US $110k C2S cab in Canada for $145k because "no one wants a US car at resale time". Yeah - German built car becomes tainted somehow being shipped via the US... makes perfect sense to me.

But Canadians keep paying the premium...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
looney2n
Instructor

The night before purchasing mine, I email 3 different dealers in various parts of the country.

The next morning, I was at the local dealer negoiating and all 3 called me during that 2 hour session.

I was able to give each the details of what I was looking for and they quoted me prices over the phone. I was going to use their reponses as leverage.

Long story short.............non could match or beat the price I was getting locally in Charlotte. I think it depends alot on each dealers inventory.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say that I have had the same experience overall, unfortunately.

That said, I've had great email correspondence with Alfie Desfosses at Ira Porsche (Mass.) (Rennlist Sponsor) and Chris Sanner at Porsche of North Olmsted (Ohio). Both are very upstanding.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
am722
Drifting

That said, I've had great email correspondence with Alfie Desfosses at Ira Porsche (Mass.) (Rennlist Sponsor) and Chris Sanner at Porsche of North Olmsted (Ohio). Both are very upstanding.
+1 for Chris. I sent him a PM out of the blue inquiring about GT3 waitlists, and he took the time to write several thoughtful emails to me in response. Straight shooter all the way.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

They have a few good years and they think we will keep beating a path to their door. I for one look at my GT3 as my last one. Unless Porsche starts to return the word customer to customer service. I will keep my GT3 and look at a DB-9 or an F430. I was at the Porsche Festival of Speed and brought this up to the dealers there while Porsche Corporate was there, basically the answer was if we didnt build such a good car you wouldnt pay so much for it.
I was amazed.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Locally there are two dealers.

When I was looking for a car two years ago, I called both after checking their online inventories.

One called back treated me with kid gloves, showing all their inventory and allowing me to test drive many cars. They gave my wife espresso's and magazines as she patiently waited for me.

The other dealer, never called back. I called again, asking for the sales manager, never called back. Called third time, spoke to a rep, who said he would call me right back. Never did.

I went in for parts (they are closest to home) and it was like a high school atmosphere there. The girl at the reception joking with the mechanics, the salesmen hanging outside ignoring clients.... what a joke. Plus.... the parts guy sold me the wrong parts.

My wife said "we will never buy a Porche from these bozos, let's get out of here! "

I would have expected more from a used lot.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

As others said, try Chris at porsche North Olmstead (likemystoppie here). Bought my TT from him and a great experience (except writing the actual check )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.