Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Stoddard in Willoughby OH for a dealer and Scott at Excell Auto in Boca for a broker.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 AM
westlaker
Instructor

I tried with the dealer in Carlsbad to make an email deal. He wouldn't so I bought it from a PA dealer who would and had it shipped. Let the market decide.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:42 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair, not all Porsche sales are arrogant fellows. I know some very nice and professional ones. We just need to screen them to find the nice ones.

Regards,
Old 04-18-2008, 02:46 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Wow, I've gathered a whole list of good referrals - thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 AM
cmdrstask
Rennlist Member

I dealt almost exclusively via email with Woodhouse porsche in Omaha for my C2S. Ashley was my sales rep and I was happy with the process and the deal. http://omaha.porschedealer.com/
Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Interesting perspective Bob, but these are all dealers that have "internet sales managers" and peddle their cars on eBay (go ahead check right now - Princeton and Park Place have multiple cars up on eBay and Melbourne usually does as well). So - internet it is, but let's deal using smoke signals?

Maybe that's the root of the evil here...having multiple cars for sale on ebay and elsewhere on the net. Have you tried? I have.....with two E46 M3's. The barrage of obscene low balling email is relentless and you just can't bring yourself to polite, professional responses to all of it. And that's for one individual selling one car at a time.

Can't imagine what an internet sales manager having multiple cars listed has to wade through each day. They'll have to develop some kind of method to sort the wheat from the chaff. One way may be to spend minimal time on those emailing $110K offers on a $140K car and more time on those who call and introduce themselves with or without an immediate offer. That's how both my M3's were sold......through initial brief phone conversations that turned into longer, constructive ones.

BTW........bottom feeding only applies to buying cheap cars? Someone offering $80K for a car with a $105K sticker is not a bottom feeder?

Last edited by sandwedge; 04-18-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:46 AM
chuckla
Racer

I haven't run into too many rude or arrogant Porsche salemen. From my perspective, the last thing I want to do is conduct a purchase or sale solely or even initially by email. On my present car, the listing was first on ebay. I declined to bid by that method and instead called to say I might be interested. When the listing ended, the salesman called me. That gave me a chance to do some due diligence on him, the store and the car. I later drove up to see it , we struck a price, had a PPI and bought it. Those telephone calls were critical for both sides to get comfortable with a transaction.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
richc
Pro

I've had very good luck with Gee Porsche (Spokane, WA - Dave Barton salesperson) and Neillo in Sacramento. Dave in Spokane will search the US inventory for you and get whatever you want - if it's available.
I've also pulled into dealerships that had been described to me as very bad on the spur of the moment to get something fixed - and been treated very well. This has happened a couple of times, and these dealers were a long distance from where I typically buy my cars.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
tksingh
Track Day

Another thumbs up for Chris and Chad at North Olmsted in Ohio. 99% of my dealings were via email to start with them...

cheers
Ken
Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
As others said, try Chris at porsche North Olmstead (likemystoppie here). Bought my TT from him and a great experience (except writing the actual check )
Yup..that's the only call you need to make.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

In reading the OP, I find the response situation #3 to be offensive. In fact, it was simply rude.

However, asking someone to call as in situations 1 and 2 simply opens up a dialogue, and that's a good thing...isn't it?

It's a chance to get to the bottom line of both pricing and the car sought in very little time.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
ramenboy
AutoX

In my experience, BMW sales guys are the ones that are unbearable.

I asked for a test drive of a 2008 M3 and was told that "we have to agree on a price before we'll let you test drive the car." When I asked how I could determine what I would pay for a car without driving it, I was told "everyone loves this car... go read the reviews."

I've never had a p dealer say anything so ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

For anyone looking for a no BS great Porsche salesperson, call Alfie Desfosses at Ira Porsche (Danvers, MA) - also a site sponsor.
Great guy and certainly not arrogant.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Trust me,these guys do not have incomes they act like they do. Look outside your city and usually they will deal.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Mike Batt - I bet I know which dealer gave you the poor treatment
As much as I would like too, I will not kiss and tell.

I realize that every experience and interaction whether in person, phone or email is unique. So much of it derives from non verbal language, and, in email, from perceived tone.

We all have a certain "way" about us that others may read in a way which we think is not what they should be interpreting... They may think our facial expressions, or word choices make us potential buyer that is not serious enough to lay all their cards out.

You have to ask yourself what you are projecting that makes them not think you are serious or worth the extra effort.

For what it is worth, I had the same, what I believe to be, bad sales service from a Honda dealer this past Dec-Feb. I think my expectations are just unrealistic. I mean, returning my calls… that is just too much, no

Quick Reply: Arrogance levels - Dealership salespeople. This seems unique to Porsche.