Sponsored by:

Do I go 4S or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

ALways get the car that has the GT1 based motor that won Lemans in 98. The Turbo has the dry sump motor. Porsche came up with the integrated drysump in 99 which means wet sump. Its a cheaper motor and even if you supercharge it it will still be a cheaper motor with a supercharger. The TT motor is based on a Race moter the 997 is not. Porsche did this to cut costs in 99. thats why the 996 911 prices are so low and so to will the non GT1 based motor cars. All of them except the GT2, GT3 and the TT. They will hold their value more than the carrera based cars The 996 TTs are getting cheaper because well the 996 is ugly and they made a WHOLE BUNCH of them. The 997 TT is a much better looking car and should hold its value MUCH better than a 997 C2S. The motor in the TT is one of the last GT1 based motors Porsche will build and it will be prized one day.
Easy choice here get the TT

Last edited by OldGuy; 04-17-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by davecarson
Be sure to get the Sport Chrono and you get an extra boost of torque that will give you a thrill each time.

Sport chrono adds torque? Don't have it but thought all it does is add volume and remaps throttle response. No?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSD = limited slip differential only available on manual TTs, GT cars. Sport chrono provides an overboost function, I think 10 seconds of OB that yields max. tq. of 505 lb. ft. higher than standard tq. rating. You only get this feature with the SC Turbo option it an is a very desirable option. I do not think SC on NA cars adds any additonal power/tq.

Jeff
07 997 TT CW/Blk
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Fantastic comments. First, my wife isn't smiling since I'm considering selling the Ferrari. I love the car, as I do all my cars. But I always said I'd buy another P when the ponies jumped. My c2s was great. I just wanted something more exotic. Well, I got it, along with the maintenance. I've always loved throwing my rear out, but I am interested in the wide body and will be driving both this weekend. I plan to take German delivery and cruising around for a week. I strongly believe my interest will settle when I drive them side by side.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Fantastic comments. First, my wife isn't smiling since I'm considering selling the Ferrari. I love the car, as I do all my cars. But I always said I'd buy another P when the ponies jumped. My c2s was great. I just wanted something more exotic. Well, I got it, along with the maintenance. I've always loved throwing my rear out, but I am interested in the wide body and will be driving both this weekend. I plan to take German delivery and cruising around for a week. I strongly believe my interest will settle when I drive them side by side.
Will you drive a GT3?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sport chrono adds torque? Don't have it but thought all it does is add volume and remaps throttle response. No?
That's correct in the base cars - the Sport Chrono adds no power at all. In the Turbo, however, the Sport Chrono does add power (for 10 seconds):

"the optional Sport Chrono Package allows a 10-second, mid-rpm-range ‘overboost’, temporarily increasing turbo boost under full throttle by 2.9 psi, and swelling peak torque to 502 lb-ft."
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I am no fan of awd unless it is on a suv, so I took a 997S cab and had my shop rebuild it from the ground up including a supercharger. Granted I spent more money on this thing than I did on my last Ferrari Spider (04 360), but it is now maybe the most amazing car I've ever owned (that includes all the Ferraris, even the 430). So if you really want a very fast, great handling car, do what I did. It is worth every penny
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
ALways get the car that has the GT1 based motor that won Lemans in 98. The Turbo has the dry sump motor. Porsche came up with the integrated drysump in 99 which means wet sump. Its a cheaper motor and even if you supercharge it it will still be a cheaper motor with a supercharger. The TT motor is based on a Race moter the 997 is not. Porsche did this to cut costs in 99. thats why the 996 911 prices are so low and so to will the non GT2 based motor cars. All of them except the GT2, GT3 and the TT. They will hold their value more than the carrera based cars The 996 TTs are getting cheaper because well the 996 is ugly and they made a WHOLE BUNCH of them. The 997 TT is a much better looking car and should hold its value MUCH better than a 997 C2S. The motor in the TT is one of the last GT1 based motors Porsche will build and it will be prized one day.
Easy choice here get the TT
What the O/M said.
Incredible on the track from the get go
Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a great set of responses with passionate argument on every side. All I can tell you is what I did and why and I'll add some thoughts from my POV.

My handle says it all!

I too wanted a cab (have wanted one since I was, say, 10 and like you, the coupe felt a tad tight for me) and I looked at the turbo cab. I test drove both back-to-back and they both brought huge smiles to my face. And I was coming from an M5. I debated this endlessly - but didn't think to use this forum (should have). I ended up with the cab because as Edgy says, I could almost never use all that power in the US. And the turbo cab was way too much money - I could pay it but why?

So I ended up with a cab with some serious options that brought the list price to the mid 120's. But I didn't have to pay all that either. This is a buyer's market but NOT for turbo cabs (at least not yet).

Now, you. You say you don't want a coupe - so you have to decide if you want to pony up the big-buck difference between a 4S and a turbo cab for some crazy-fast straight-line power. But if that's all you wanted, there's always the Vette, right? Or the GT-R.

The one thing that gave me pause in this reply is what the O-M says. He makes some great points - stuff I wasn't aware of, but it still doesn't make me change my mind.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hands down, go Turbo...
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
DCI
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a C4S Targa (im a bit biased!)....or a Turbo. I think everyone who has a 911 wants a turbo, so if you have the option to go for it now, do it.

Last edited by DCI; 04-17-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DCI
I think everyone who has a 911 wants a turbo.
That was my exact thought for many many years until I have my 997S. Over the years, I think there is hugh improvement to the N/A 911s, but not much to the turbos. When I had my 993 Targa, I always thought about the 993TT but couldn't afford it at the time. In the days of 993TT, it was the King. Period. Then 10 years had passed, I got my 997S and was amazed at how fast and how great its handling is. I can now easily afford any 997TT or even the GT2 but has absolutely no desire to do so. I do not feel that the current turbo looks better than my club coupe, and I cannot use the extra power of the turbo. Besides it no longer is the King. Its position is threatened by its own brothers GT3 and GT2, and outsiders such as GT-R. I have lose the desire that I have to have a 911 turbo. And I bought a Cayenne Turbo instead, but that's another story...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

You guys are killing me. I can jump on either side of the argument easily. I do like the turbo, and it is far more rare and holds its value more than the C2 or 4. However, it will be an older body style as of 09, from what I hear.

I had a C2S and it was great, but I did feel it was underpowered. I know, I can glue AM parts to it for major hp. I want something that can rival my ferrari. I pushed an S aside last week in a brief sprint, but it's really not fair as my F has 415 hp. I am getting tired of the F bills. My car goes in for belts next month...$4k!!!!!

I am praying that P kicks up the horsepower at least 25hp, which should make the car a little more ferocious. I agree, I really don't want turbo power. I'd be happy with S, with the upgrade in hp. My salesguy was pretty confident it was going to happen. Do you guys agree?

Is there a good and reasonable alternative to the x51?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I am praying that P kicks up the horsepower at least 25hp, which should make the car a little more ferocious. I agree, I really don't want turbo power. I'd be happy with S, with the upgrade in hp. My salesguy was pretty confident it was going to happen. Do you guys agree?
I'd rather have a C2S that weighed 250lbs less than a C2S that had 25 more hp.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Is the 09 going to weigh 250lbs more? I don't understand.

Quick Reply: Do I go 4S or Turbo?