Do I go 4S or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Do I go 4S or Turbo?

Here's the issue:

I am considering a pretty loaded 997S4 Cab or a turbo. If I get the S4, I'm told I will get an 09 allocation. The new body style and a possible increase in horsepower of perhaps 25. When I built out my 997 I added the X51 package and bunch of other stuff including the brakes. So when it was all said and done, I was in the Turbo area, actually a little higher.

Well the turbo has some 100 more ponies, but it would be a coupe. I prefer a cab as Porsches are just a little small for me inside and the cab helps feel like I have more space.

If the dealer is right, then I can get the extra horsepower and cab without going the X51 route. I think I just answered my own question.

Oh, the turbo will not have a body style change next year and the 997 will, according to him. His comments were more along the led and headlight change.

Your comments appreciated.

Oh, the car would be delivered in September or October. He anticipates slots opening in the next two weeks.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I stayed with a Carrera S (Cabriolet) although I was well into Turbo country on the price. I would rather have a loaded Carrera than a stripped turbo. Besides, I just can't justify that much horsepower in the USA. The 355PS is more than enough to put me away in jail for over 30 days... ;-)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I hear ya' Dan. You are certainly in Turbo territory. What surprised me was how much was standard on the turbo, but was optional on the 4s. The dealer talked me out of the X51 pretty much. So I guess I can glue some more options on the car.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO you go with the turbo. I had an 07 997 and traded it two weeks ago for an 08 turbo....wow what a difference. The power under your right foot is just great. Be sure to get the Sport Chrono and you get an extra boost of torque that will give you a thrill each time. Go turbo if you can.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

What about get the Cab and install an EVOMS supercharger for and extra 12K? You get very close to the turbo performance and have the cab.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I have heard it's a monster. I may test drive for grins and pray I don't get captured by its spell. I feel so cramped in a coupe and the turbo cab is obscene in my book that it almost precludes me. But I just have a hard time passing on something possessing almost 500 hp. I'll drive both.

I'm not an aftermarket mod guy, but can understand why someone would.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Do the Turbo but I am biased. At a minimum get PCCB, sport chrono, LSD, SS, and a type of sport seat. I optioned mine out with a lot of interior carbon as well. It is a monster. And I came out of a 07 C4S Coupe.

Jeff
07 997TT, CW/Blk
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I had the chrono and liked it, but hated the dial on my dash. That car I bought used. If I am optioning the car, I'll probably pass on it. LSD? Uh, last I checked that was a serious drug. I've been away for a year so I am a little behind on the jargon.

Oh, had the sport seats and I'm too broad. I feel as if I'm being squeezed out of the seat. Oh hell, I may get it. I don't know.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Between the 4S and the Turbo I'd say that the better choice is the Turbo. I went C2S because I didn't want 4WD, but if you're only looking at 4S or Turbo then there's no reason not to do it all the way. On the Sport Chrono, bear in mind that in the Turbo it does actually add performance (unlike in the base Carreras). The chrono on a Turbo gives you a brief period of extra boost when engaged.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 AM
b911s
Intermediate

I was actually faced with this same dilema myself and in the end you can see what I chose, the 4S. Had a 2S before and drove it daily during the nice weather months here in the northeast. After driving the car everyday it started to feel slow and i thought I needed more. So I did what every Porsche owner does eventually, went and drove a Turbo and said sign me up! The power jumping into the Turbo compaired to the 2S was ridiculous. It's straight line performance is mindblowing. This was in the fall of last year when I put my order in and about the same time my current 2S started sitting in the garage more. It had been about a month since I drove it and we were blessed with a nice day one weekend and decided to take a spin. When I hit the go fast pedal for the first time the car really surprised me with the performance that was there. It was then that i realized that what the hell do I need all that power for. The 2S put a big smile back on my face and I remembered how great this car really was to drive everyday and at the track. It was then I decided that the speed of the Turbo was just not really all that important. In addition, at track events guys with turbo's in alot of cases couldnt keep pace with my 2S. Now before you Turbo guys get all bent, I know the Turbo would beat the S hands down with equal driver skill, but hey, like most will say, the driver is the weakest link. I couldnt see the track being anymore fun with the turbo over the S. So i was stuck, i did like the 4WD of the turbo from a technology standpoint and of course the wide rear end, so I figured why not do a 4S. My feeling and many will disagree, is the 4wd can only improve the performance of the car on the track seeing that Porsche says all performance figures between the 2S and 4S are the same. 4WD in sports car racing has been banned in many areas because it offers such and advantage. I also feel as though that the 4S has a more planted stable feeling than does the 2S at speed. Maybe that litte bit of extra weight up front does the trick. The steering is also a tad bit heavier than the 2S but I like it better, some will disagree. The bottom line here is dont get caught up on the "I have to have a Turbo because it's the ultimate 997". All of these cars are unbelieveable performance vehicles and they all will in most cases be better than any of us ever could be. I will I'm sure relook at and purchase a Turbo just to have one but I figured I would give a 4S a shot in between. I will get tired of it soon just as the dozens of other cars in my past but still have plenty of time to try out something else.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Guy I know just sold a 2004 turbo for what I paid for the 2006 C4S. For the same money I would rather have the newer car.

But having the fastest car at the stoplight, every stoplight everywhere everytime, has some appeal.

The guy I know bought a new turbo. Out of my reach. But it might be fun. Nevertheless I am plenty happy with the car I have.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:54 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the same ballpark of money, go for the Turbo.

Regards,
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

You want the Turrrrrrbo

You know you want the Turrrrrbo

Submit to the Turrrrbo
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 AM
richc
Pro

Using the only metric that matters "smiles per mile" - get the one that produces more grins. I'm betting it's the Turbo.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i might be a good source on this, as i have had and or do have a 997c4s, 997s and 997tt. the turbo is crazy fast but drives a bit heavy, like an m5 and has speed you will never use.it comes loaded. the c4s feels like a turbo (a bit lighter steering) and has that wide *** that looks great. the c2s feels the lightest and is the sharpest handling-feels to most drivers what they would think a sports car should feel like. i also had a vette-the vette is quicker than the carrera s but the porsche handles and feels a million times better-my advice-if all you want is a high quality sports car, get a carrera s. if you want or need that hi quality sports car to be all weather capable, get a c4s-if you have another awd vehicle, get the c2s. if you want to have the fastest car on the block and don't mind the gt car handling-get a turbo.

Quick Reply: Do I go 4S or Turbo?