Sponsored by:

Conditioning Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
In your opinion are the Sonus products a better fit for my natural leather?

Thanks again.
Sonus was made for coated mostly, but if you do try it, always test in an area not seen to make sure it does not change color.

I'd stay with leather conditioners for natural uncoated leather. Reason is they contain oils and other items to nurish the leather.

As much as I hate Lexol, you can use this as well. The smell from it is not what I'd hope for that's for sure, but with nautral leather, sometimes it releases the tanning oils, sometimes it still smells like skunk pee.

The more esoteric leather conditioners are great products. Leatherique is quite messy to do, but leather master products work very well and you'll love those.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
My car is a daily driver. How often would you guys recomend conditioning the leather
Once a month if it looks as if the leather is wearing. You can go upwards of two if everything looks good. Examine the leather close and if you see any slight wear, get ready to condition the leather after cleaning.

Keep the leather clean is key! Vacuum as often as possible. Do not do the "butt grind" when getting in and out as this can stretch the leather.

Clean the seats prior to treatment. Woolite and distilled water or other light cleaner will work, just make sure you have lots of white cotton towels to wipe the areas down. Wait as long as you can before treating to get the moisture out. Then treat the leather. Let the conditioner work, but do not over apply. Also, once on and removed, try like all hell not to get in the car for as long as possible for the leather to react without stretching by getting in/out.

I always tell people move it into the garage where you keep it, then treat it in there, wipe off excess and let it take to the conditioner overnight. Some conditioners can off-gas and leave a film inside the car on glass windoes and dials. Crack a window if temps are good.

As long as you keep it clean, you can really extend the life of the leather.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deanski, excellent stuff man! Kudos to you. I think we can certainly benefit from your knowledge.

I've posted a question at https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/433575-black-leather-seats-fix-worn-colour.html#post5462017 but I'll capture it here for your ease.

On my 996, I just noticed on my driver seat that the left side lumbar support (US car) is quite worn out. The leather surface still appears to be intact, but the black colour has been rubbed off in some heavy duty areas (getting in/out). They look like scratches/cracks even though the surface is intact. I clean and condition the seat about every 6 months, so I was a little surprised. I guess I should clean more often and also switch to sonus or zaino.

So, how do I restore the black colour in those 'scratchy' side lumbar support areas? I was looking at http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/lthrrecolrkit.htm . Does that look ok to you?

Also where is the leather color code written?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I've never seen a leather "code" on a Porsche. The problem with the majority of leathers is that their surface is altered or treated. it's not through and through. In fact, for all but the natural leathers, the surface prep involves literally sanding, embossing, and then painting the color onto the surface. To repair that area you would ideally want to get your hands on the stuff they used to finish the leather in the first place.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a interior color code which corresponds to the leather color. I had to give it to FVD when I ordered my steering wheel. It's on the sticker inside the hood. Your dealer can also give it to you.

On another note, I remember reading on Rennlist that you should not condition your dash as it was specially treated to remove moisture from it to allow them to fit it closely to the dash. Any truth to this???
Old 05-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Keep in mind that Porsche doesn't place a sticker inside hoods any longer.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Between Leatherique and Leathermagic dyes I'd get samples from each as they can differ. Due to wear, age, oxidation etc, trying to match exactly is tough and sometimes best to go to a auto leather recovering shop that has the ability to mix dyes just like body shops mix paints to match.

As for treating the dash, never heard that one, but as with all todays leather, you don't want to go with heavy conditioners as they do not absorb into coated leathers as easy as natural leather but it will absorb some and off-gas the rest.

Deanski
Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Default Bickmore Leather Treatment

Has anyone ever used this product on their Porsche leather seats?

http://bickmore.com/bickmore/leather%5Fcare/

I have used it on shoes and other leather items for years and it works very nicely.

I just tried a little on a part of my seat and it seems to leave it with a very nice "feel" and just a little bit of sheen too, but not greasy feeling at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Deanski;5340651]Once a month if it looks as if the leather is wearing. You can go upwards of two if everything looks good. Examine the leather close and if you see any slight wear, get ready to condition the leather after cleaning.....

Regards,
Deanski

Deanski, is there any leather product that can accelerate the patina on leather? Personally, I prefer the look of a very slght sheen the the steering wheel leather and seats..... a previous BMW achieved this in about two years with normal driving. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yes you can modify the leather to look anyway you want. What you should seek out is a auto leather shop that deals in high-end restorations as they have the ability to mimic anything. It's something that I've sent others to as well when it's beyond my scope.

Some of the Porsche or British restoration shops outsource the leather work to a known good craftsman. Some have in house as well. Contact PCA, car clubs etc to find one closer to you so you can see their work and explain what you're looking to obtain.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
amar_kamath
Intermediate

what abot vaseline intensive care lotion. without doing any research, if it is good for me, it is good for my car seat... no?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:20 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Over the years I used them all, Lexol, Griot's, Zaino and Sonus. For coated leather i think Sonus is the best. A little on a pad applicator goes a long way, leaving the leather with a like-mew satin finish. All others tend to look greasy and old.

I only use Sonus now.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amar_kamath
what abot vaseline intensive care lotion. without doing any research, if it is good for me, it is good for my car seat... no?
No, please do not use this on coated leather.

Obtain a leather conditioner that is designed around automotive leathers and more importantly, one for coated leathers.

Prior to treating, make sure the leather is clean. Then apply a leather conditioner lightly onto the leather and rub it in then wipe/buff off to remove excess.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Over the years I used them all, Lexol, Griot's, Zaino and Sonus. For coated leather i think Sonus is the best. A little on a pad applicator goes a long way, leaving the leather with a like-mew satin finish. All others tend to look greasy and old.

I only use Sonus now.
I've used griot, and lexol, i'm no expert so they all appear to work the same for me. Ive even tried the eagle one leather conditioner/cleaner bottles. I might give sonus a try. How does it smell? Which one mostly resembles the scent of fresh new leather on a new car?

Is this it?

http://sonus-usa.com/son-610.html

peter

Last edited by redduck996; 06-04-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by redduck996
That's it

Quick Reply: Conditioning Leather