996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Black leather seats: Fix worn colour?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Black leather seats: Fix worn colour?

Hi guys,

I just noticed on my driver seat that the left side lumbar support (US car) is quite worn out. The leather surface still appears to be intact, but the black colour has been rubbed off in some heavy duty areas (getting in/out). They look like scratches/cracks even though the surface is intact. I clean and condition the seat about every 6 months, so I was a little surprised.

So I have two questions ...

1. How do I restore the black colour in those 'scratchy' side lumbar support areas?

2. Once I've restained/recoloured/whatever recommended in #1 above, how should I care for the leather to minimize the occurrence again?

Thanks guys!
Sid
Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This stuff is excellent!

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
This stuff is excellent!

http://www.leatherique.com/
Thanks, but ... my god! That is one BAD website. It is really contorted in its presentation! I'm suddenly a lot less confident about their products ... have you used it?

I looked around a bit too and found http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/lthrrecolrkit.htm

Is there anyone here who has used this product? Also, does porsche put the leather colour code somewhere? I know they put the body paint code under the hood, but my car is away right now, so I can't check if the leather code is there too.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
Thanks, but ... my god! That is one BAD website. It is really contorted in its presentation! I'm suddenly a lot less confident about their products ... have you used it?

I looked around a bit too and found http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/lthrrecolrkit.htm

Is there anyone here who has used this product? Also, does Porsche put the leather color code somewhere? I know they put the body paint code under the hood, but my car is away right now, so I can't check if the leather code is there too.

Ignore the horrific website, I have used their products on many cars, they are really quite good! Code should be on the underside of the front lid or on a sticker in your maintenance booklet
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the Surflex product to recolor seats before. It's very easy and the results were outstanding. I bought the stuff from these folks:

http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_products.html
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leatheriques Reconditioning oil and Pristine Clean are great..I've used them for years...I just bought 8 oz of black leather dye for Porsche from them...but haven't used it yet. I have the identical issue with the supple black leather on my drivers bolsters. Willing to give you some dye,,,8 oz is enough for 2 whole seats, and I only want to touch up the bolster and a scratch or two...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Ignore the horrific website, I have used their products on many cars, they are really quite good!
+1

If you take your time, the Leatherique stuff is really pretty amazing.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that Leatherique dyes are quite good.

However, the cleaner and oil are best used on untreated, natural leathers. Most todays leather has a very light coating to retain the dye, protect the leather and does not accept deep conditioning as most other leathers do.

Simple cleaning and light conditioning is all you need for coated leathers.

However, neglected, worn leather, Leatherique products are quite stunning on the end results. I did an old Austin Healy that the owner was going to recover the seats and asked if he would give me a chance first before the recover.

I used the Leatherique oil and cleaner as well as dyes to match-up and the end results was just outstanding. The owner did not recover the seats.

But for current leather, simple cleaning and conditioning is all you need.

Leathermagic is also a great source for dyes and conditioners as well.

It can be a bit difficult to perfectly match the current color of your leather due to age, but it can be done.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Black leather seats: Fix worn colour?