Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conditioning Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have used a lot of leather cleaners and conditioners and believe it or not I like the Griot's the best
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Deanski. I am going to get some Sonus.

Here is the link:
http://sonus-usa.com/

Last edited by ohsixx; 04-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deanski, do you have an opinion on Lexol leather conditioner? Thx.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

If one has full leather is the dash treated in same mannor as seats (to clean or condition)??
Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
Deanski, do you have an opinion on Lexol leather conditioner? Thx.
Not the best thing for Porsche leather. Lexol was first used on tack/saddle leathers, then someone used it in their car. That car has uncoated leather, so Lexol worked well. That's unless you HAVE natural leather which IS avalible from Porsche.

Todays leather is coated. Treat it as such. Use water based leather conditioners.

There are far better conditioners, Zaino, Sonus, 1Z, Leathermaster, Griots, etc.

Some contain some leather fragrance, some do not. This is the point where you have to test different ones and find the one you like.

I like a few. Sonus, Zaino, 1Z.

Cleaning: Save your money. Use Woolite and distilled water start at 15:1 then if it does not clean, drop down to 6:1. Most leather cleaners are just nothing more than soap, fragrance, coloring. Use white 100% USA cotton towels to clean with to gauge your level of dirt. Once clean, I mist a very light amount of clear water to rinse, then dry really well. After that, I let the car sit with windows open to assist drying the moisture out. Then apply your conditioner but lightly, do not think more is good, it's not.

I wish more companies would offer leather conditioners in small sample bottles so those that want to try a new product , but do not like one of them, you're not stuck with a full bottle and out the cash as well. It's so subjective that only trying several types until you find the one that really makes you happy in both feel, wear, smell.

Deanski
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tinluver
If one has full leather is the dash treated in same mannor as seats (to clean or condition)??
Thanks
No different. Same leather, clean and treat as any other Porsche leather. Natural leather takes a different care treatment.

If parked outside to sun often, try whatever you can to keep the sun off the dash.

Some have treated the dash after a leather conditioner with 303 to add more UV protection, but I would not. I just use a sun windshield shade to cover up from sun.

It's best to keep it clean and treated due to having not only a windshield to deal with, but air vents that can also dry the leather near them.

Deanski
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deanski,

Is the Sonus that much better than Griots? I'm mostly concerned with smell and I also don't want it leaving the seats slick like Zaino does. If you feel the Sonus is better maybe I'll purchase some.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Is the Sonus that much better than Griots? I'm mostly concerned with smell and I also don't want it leaving the seats slick like Zaino does. If you feel the Sonus is better maybe I'll purchase some.
Sonus is especially made for Porsche leather. It's the best product out there for it that I have come across.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree with Ben as well.

Sonus was developed by David B from Autopia and is a Porsche owner as well. He used Porsche leather skins, new in the bags to match a way to release the natural tanning oils from the leather so not to mask it with heavy leather fragrance.

It also has a very unique way of feel after it's applied. It makes the leather feel somewhat more firm and have more of a gripping feel to it, the exact same way it was when you took delivery or were sitting in a new showroom model.

Out of the bottle, it has a very odd smell. However, once applied to your leather, close the doors and wait about 1/2 hour. Then, open the doors and be greeted to the smell of new leather the way it was when you did take delivery, minus the plastic/vinyl overtones.

I really like the way it looks as well, not glossy or oily at all, the opposite. Very flat looking as it should be.

Now, if someone has Porsche natural leather which is untreated/coated, you have to use a different conditioner that contains heavy oils and lanoline etc to keep them from cracking and drying out too quickly. Some people use the Leather Masters line or Leatherique oil and Pristeen Clean. With Leatherique, you apply the oil first, THEN the cleaner. It's a messy application, but works very well for untreated/coated leather.

I think you'll be very happy with the Sonus. Just make sure the leather is clean and dry prior to application and only apply enough to wipe on, not soak the leather with it.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
spar10
Instructor

how can i determine what type of leather i have in my 05 997?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Lexol cleaner and Zaino Z10 Leather in a Bottle to condition my supple leather - wonderful stuff.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spar10
how can i determine what type of leather i have in my 05 997?
You can check by option codes, but natural leather is not dyed from what I understand.

If it's "Full Leather" and not Nautral leather, then you have coated.

Another easy test: Use one drop of water on he leather. If it sits, it's coated, if it gets absorbed, it's natural.

Deanski
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
spar10
Instructor

any opinions on meguiars gold standard leather conditioner?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deanski,

Do you not recommend the sonus cleaner just because of the money or does not really do a good job?

Quick Reply: Conditioning Leather