Conditioning Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Deanski,

Do you not recommend the sonus cleaner just because of the money or does not really do a good job?
It's not about money. It's about performance of the product. It does a good job, makes the leather feel the way it should from Porsche and the smell it releases from the leather is perfect.

Zaino costs more and it also does a wonderful job. Some like the smell of it, others feel it's a bit strong on smell, but it too does a great job. It maks the leather feel softer than Sonus.

Deanski
Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Sonus today on all my interior leather. It is an excellent product. My seats and dash just soaked it up. I put it everywhere even on the steering wheel and visors.

I think the interior of my car looks better than new. Thanks everyone!

BTW, I used the Sonus Cleaner first; then the leather conditioner.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ohsixx, how did you like the leather cleaner?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ohsixx
I used Sonus today on all my interior leather. It is an excellent product. My seats and dash just soaked it up. I put it everywhere even on the steering wheel and visors.

I think the interior of my car looks better than new. Thanks everyone!

BTW, I used the Sonus Cleaner first; then the leather conditioner.
What do you think of the smell after application? Also, did you notice the leather feels soft, but firm? No slippery feeling right? One thing I love about Sonus, makes the leather feel firm when you sit back in the seat. Soft, but not where you'll slide at all.

The cleaner does work well, it's a PH balanced cleaner (most are) and does a good job, but then again, my leather is black. I wish I had Sonus when I had the Lexus SC430 as the leather was an Ecru color (very light cream color) and was a real PITA to keep clean. More so when the top was down as the back seat area would get the most of it.

Just do not apply too much Sonus on the leather. You want a light coat for each application. The leather will soak in a little bit. Not as much as natural leather, but if it's a bit dry, it will take on a bit more.

If you have full leather, which the whole dash except the very front by windshield is leather is a good area to treat as it gets the most abuse from sun. Always try to use a sun shield as tacky as they may be, they can save your interior.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried the following products and here's my take:

Lexol- Good for an off the shelf product.
Leatherique- Great for damaged leather, overkill for new leather.
Autoglym- Excellent, was my favorite until recently.
Zymol- Best, because the consistency is perfect, like a quality hand lotion. Scent is very mild and does not linger after application.

I had not used Zymol products for years because I didn't think that they were worth the additional cost, but Moe at Glistening Perfection brought me back!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Zymol Treat was the best conditioner years ago. They have reformulated it and thus, not as great as it was. This is when I went to Zaino.

Zaino Z-10 is better at conditioning and leather smell than Treat is now. Back several years ago, you could not get me to switch from Treat. Now, Zaino replaced it for most leathers.

I still use Sonus on Porsche leather, Zaino on others.

Forget Zymol at the auto stores etc, these have been bought-out by TW.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Alcantara care

For those wondering how to care for Alcantara, here's info on how you can properly care for it.

To preserve the beauty of Alcantara®, we recommend that you clean the material regularly, avoiding energetic scrubbing and the use of steaming equipment.

Daily cleaning: dust Alcantara® using a soft brush, a dry cloth, or a vacuum cleaner.

Weekly cleaning: after dusting Alcantara®, clean it with a slightly damp, white cotton cloth; avoid using printed cloth or paper towels which could leave ink marks on the material.

Annual cleaning: if the covering is removable, clean it in the washing machine, following the procedure described in the page "General washing instructions".

If the covering is not removable, you can use specific products, or - if they are not on hand - dust it with a soft cloth or sponge dampened with clean water. Wring it out well and clean all Alcantara® material, taking care not to wet the upholstery too deeply; dampen the cloth in clean water, wipe again, and allow to dry well overnight. Rejuvenate the material by brushing it delicately with a soft-bristled brush.

Deanski
Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default ..

My wife has an Audi TT Roadster with the baseball glove interior. I'd normally use Sonus on the treated leather however I think the thick leather stitching needs more. Should I used something like hide food instead of standard leather conditioner due to the leather stitching? The stitching is only treated on one of the 3 exposed sides.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MLindgren
My wife has an Audi TT Roadster with the baseball glove interior. I'd normally use Sonus on the treated leather however I think the thick leather stitching needs more. Should I used something like hide food instead of standard leather conditioner due to the leather stitching? The stitching is only treated on one of the 3 exposed sides.

Thanks.
If this is natural uncoated leather you can use Hide Food, Leatherique, Leathermaster and Zaino as well. Hide Food has been reformulated and should not stink as it used to. Sometimes you have to try different things to get the results.

Deanski
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Deanski -

I apologize for asking a question that I think might have already been answered but I want to make sure I'm 100% certain here...

We just took delivery of our 2008 C2S. It has the full leather interior in the Carrera Red natural leather. The car is garaged at home and garaged when it does go to work. I expect to only drive it about as much as the NSX it replaced (4,000 - 5,000 miles per year).

With my interior leather and the conditions it will see should I be using the Sonus products or the Leatherique products? I've had very good luck with Leatherique on my other cars (Lexus LS and LX and the Acura) but they're all Japanese cars and the Japanese do weird stuff to their leather to remove the smell.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Deanski.....thanks for your Sonus plug. Got my bottle a couple of days ago and it's every bit as special as you said it would be. I have the supple seats which tend to get a little glossy and sloppy with wear and time. That all went away somehow with the first treatment. The leather firmed up and that shiny, slick feel is gone. Almost has a nubuck feel to it instead. Great stuff and smells good too.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also recieved my sonus and gave it a try and loved it. It made the leather tacky feeling and also didn't leave any residue. Great sutff.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Deanski -

I apologize for asking a question that I think might have already been answered but I want to make sure I'm 100% certain here...

We just took delivery of our 2008 C2S. It has the full leather interior in the Carrera Red natural leather. The car is garaged at home and garaged when it does go to work. I expect to only drive it about as much as the NSX it replaced (4,000 - 5,000 miles per year).

With my interior leather and the conditions it will see should I be using the Sonus products or the Leatherique products? I've had very good luck with Leatherique on my other cars (Lexus LS and LX and the Acura) but they're all Japanese cars and the Japanese do weird stuff to their leather to remove the smell.

Thanks in advance.
Since it's "natural leather" meaning no coating then yes you can use Leeatherique on it. A bit on the overkill, but it's one of many conditioners that can be used on natural uncoated leather.

I would look at Leathermaster products as well and some of the other non-coated treatment products. It does take some trial and error to find the best one for your needs.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Since it's "natural leather" meaning no coating then yes you can use Leeatherique on it. A bit on the overkill, but it's one of many conditioners that can be used on natural uncoated leather.

I would look at Leathermaster products as well and some of the other non-coated treatment products. It does take some trial and error to find the best one for your needs.

Regards,
Deanski
In your opinion are the Sonus products a better fit for my natural leather?

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

My car is a daily driver. How often would you guys recomend conditioning the leather

Quick Reply: Conditioning Leather