Sponsored by:

My plan to get a CPO 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My plan to get a CPO 997

Porsche guys, i beg your indulgence to tell me what you think of this plan to get a 997.

I have found basically a 997 that meets my requirement on eBay, but the car is in Texas. It is linked below, but basically it is a low optioned car with low miles, CPO, just Ideal for Mrs. ImaReallyCheapGuy. It has run a few times. ( It is just an example, I'm not gooey over this particular car.)

Here's my plan. I'm going to take that ad to Baker in Charleston , the dealer in Greenville SC (what ever it is called) and maybe Hendrick in Charlotte NC.

I'm going to tell the salesman I'm going to buy a car like this from him, OR the other 2 dealers OR if none of the 3 can produce I will just eBay it from Texas.

At the price in the eBay ad, not a penny more.

Except....and here's the clever part... I'm going to tell the salesman that if any of the 3 salesmen can secure me a car like that I will give them personally $1000 cash upon pick-up, straight into their pocket. ( Similar to the shipping cost from Texas).

What do you think??

Thanks

Car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...224997852&rd=1
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except....and here's the clever part... I'm going to tell the salesman that if any of the 3 salesmen can secure me a car like that I will give them personally $1000 cash upon pick-up, straight into their pocket. ( Similar to the shipping cost from Texas).

What do you think??
I think the other two will tell the manager and get the one fired.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
ikonomore
Cruisin'

That will never work. They will just say buy it from Texas.
If it does let me know.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

BRILLIANT!
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
looney2n
Instructor

My friend,,,,,,,I was at Hendrick today only to drive the C2 and C2S to feel the difference in new cars.

There was no way I thought they could compete with some out of town dealers.

Play straight with them and you just might be surprised how good a deal you can get, but you should act tomorrow (end of the month and all).

They made me a deal I could not pass up as I was on the phone with mulitple dealers today during my stay at the dealer in Charlotte.

Know your number, play fair, be firm and see if they "want" to sell the car for your price...............................the poor taste left in the mouth dealing with unknowns will far outlast a $1K or $2K in savings.

By the way.............that is a nice looking car..............resembles mine in a lot of ways.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by ikonomore
That will never work. They will just say buy it from Texas.
If it does let me know.

Similar tactic worked like a charm at the Volvo dealer in Charleston; huge price reduction vs asking price on a 2005 S80 CPO 18 months ago; i.e. asking $32k bought for $23k.

Remember, ImaReallyCheapGuy!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 AM
tkids
Pro

Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

youareareallycheapguy. geez.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
youareareallycheapguy. geez.
Well, thank you!

Ummm..... you say that like its a bad thing.

Last edited by ImaReallyCheapGuy; 03-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why the "Dino" avatar? Do you just like it or do you have a Ferrari 246? I'm partial to that car - my brother has a perfect '73 246GTS Dino with 16K original miles. Car is in CT and has won a number of awards. One of the most beautiful designs ever!
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 AM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Why the "Dino" avatar? Do you just like it or do you have a Ferrari 246? I'm partial to that car - my brother has a perfect '73 246GTS Dino with 16K original miles. Car is in CT and has won a number of awards. One of the most beautiful designs ever!
I have a GT.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Sounded too clever by twice.. I had second thoughts; when you said it worked at a Volvo dealer. ..but then you said it was an S80: you probably overpaid for that millstone. Another great market move by Ford.

I doubt your clever approach would be welcomed by a P-dealer - they may even suggest a dealer down the road would provide a better service opportunity. A brilliant friend of mine with a rare disease (MG) treats Docs like that: he's the worse for it.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Even if they go for it, aren't they going to just locate a sub-standard car for you (based on your price requirements)? That is, one which has been in an accident or has some other checker history?

And, the sales people don't approve the acquisition of used cars or the economics of the resale transactions, so I'm not sure what they could do for you anyway.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ability to negotiate these cars is driven largely by the dealer's motivation and position on a car. It won't matter to the dealer if you can buy the car cheaper in Texas if they have more in the car then you are willing to pay (I assumed it was used since you were looking leveraging Ebay). The best approach I have found is to find the right dealership and try to work directly with the ultimate decision maker. They don't want you playing games with them any more then you want to be run through the typical used car ringer.

This has worked for me on several occassions. Most notably in 05 when I bought my 05 997. I got the first non-launch vehicle delivered by my dealer at a 7% discount. Just helped my boss secure a 10% discount on a Cayenne GTS.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ImaReallyCheapGuy
I have a GT.
They are gorgeous! Now I get your avatar.

Quick Reply: My plan to get a CPO 997