Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes people so rude?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't comment on my wife's friends' "designer" bags or shoes. That's something they know better than I do. "Nice" bags could have a different meanings for them.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One day after returning from overseas with my second Porsche, a 911, I was at a gas station in Kentucky I think it was and someone said to me, "nice car." No one had ever said that to me about a car. I didn't even know what to say. (This was in 1978). Don't expect it and it will be better than to expect it.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

dont bother with what others have to say about your car.
i go out of my way to hide my cars so no one knows they are mine. including my parents and wife.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 AM
joninoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insightful replies. The next time I see them, regardless of what they are carrying: "Nice bags", then I hit the bar.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy the car to please your relatives?

Maybe they have better things in life to think about than expensive cars.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Nah! - just rude and or envious, who cares though......
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
I really don't understand how not complimenting you on your car is rude. Not everyone is all that impressed with/interested in cars. Even if they drive nice cars themselves, they may just not be all that much into cars as things to be admired.

A better question to ask might be why are you so troubled by someone not complimenting you on your car? Did you buy it for you to enjoy, or for you to enjoy impressing people with it?
+1. i wouldn't normally reply to this type of tread, but, no offense, this is really lame and the insecurity glaring. also, why do people congratulate others on their car purchases anyway? never got that. what would've been the ideal response here? that they talk about how far you've come, that you're not that obese kid you used to be, now you'll definitely get laid, get that promotion, now women will smile when they walk by, now your member will grow 2 inches? c'mon. you should've been bought a mercedes instead.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I think you are over-reacting. Did you buy the car to get comments or to drive an amazing sports car?
Maybe they could care less about your Porsche.
Maybe they each had new purses. Did you comment on them?
+1

Originally Posted by mglobe
I really don't understand how not complimenting you on your car is rude. Not everyone is all that impressed with/interested in cars. Even if they drive nice cars themselves, they may just not be all that much into cars as things to be admired.

A better question to ask might be why are you so troubled by someone not complimenting you on your car? Did you buy it for you to enjoy, or for you to enjoy impressing people with it?
+ 1M - Best reply of the bunch.

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Did you buy the car to please your relatives?

Maybe they have better things in life to think about than expensive cars.
+1

To reiterate what others have said, it appears that you were expecting and looking for compliments. And when none came your way you felt slighted, and thought it was rude of them not to give you what you apparently wanted so badly. Maybe they sensed you were desperately looking for compliments and held back - others can sense that, you know - which would explain the rudeness perception on your part. Or maybe they didn't think it was a big deal at all or that it was even appropriate to lavish attention on a material object on the holiest Christian holiday?

The thing is, don't act like it's a big deal having a new car. Act like you would if you walked in there wearing a new pair of shoes, hoping no one notices or compliments you on your new leather -- as if you've never owned a new pair of shoes! Act as though you own several new cars and this one just happened to be the one you drove today.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 AM
wetstuff
Pro

"You can pick your spouse, but the devil picks your in-laws..." Well said Sir.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I am sorry but that does not strike me as rude. Most of the women I know barely notice a Ferrari, in fact my wives friends comments are usually something like, wow that thing is so loud.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
cag64
Instructor

Man ...... Are you kidding me!!! Looking at your car those two women heard the cash register, bank account dwindling, car insurance sky rocketing..........................
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Women! Just kidding to all those ladies out there...but yes just let it go!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Jealousy, resentment,.....
+1. Most of my relatives completely ignore it, too or even have negative things to say, except for my brother who loves it! Of course he has a new 987S on order, and has 2 vintage Ferraris - a 330GTC and a 246GTS. And no, I don't ignore his cars They're simply incredible.

Bottom line, don't try to get your relatives on your side with this - just enjoy what you have and take pleasure from that.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all... great car.

Secondly, and I'm not trying to be an *** but... why do you really care that they don't compliment the car? That's not rude. It would be rude if they suggested that you bought the car as a compensation for something else. It would be rude if they said that you bought a piece of crap. But not complimenting you? That's not rude.

Enjoy the car and forget about what others do or don't think.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I'm still waiting for my wife to say something nice about my car. I could care less about what the rest of the world thinks. As far as your situation-women don't dig cars as much as we do. It's very much like what goes through our minds (blank) when she is holding two purses and asks which one looks better on her.

Quick Reply: What makes people so rude?