Farnbacher Loles Power Plus > X51

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farnbacher Loles Power Plus > X51

Wanted to post my intial review of my Power Plus package in my 07 C4S. Simply amazing! I am totally blown away with the transformation. I test drove a C2S w/ X51 in fall of 2006, before ordering my car, and posted my opinion then. In a nutshell, I did not feel nearly enough of a difference for me to warrant the nearly 17k cost of the option. The one noticeable improvement I did feel back then, and something I noticed when driving my stock C4S, was the dead feeling of my car above 5500 rpm's as if it were starved for air. Well, I let Kip at Farnbacher install the X51 airbox, their proprietary ECU, and their custom full exhaust. Total cost of this work was aprox 10k and given the results I cannot say enough about the improvement both on paper, and more importantly on the road. I will post a follow-up with dyno charts if I can figure out how to post them, and couple of pix, but wanted to just post my initial feedback for now. They did pre work dyno, and #'s were within +/- 2 HP and Ft/lb's of torque, they did a dyno after the airbox, then again after the airbox and ECU, then finally with exhaust installed and tuned. HP 392.2HP, Torque 334 ft/lb! Both curves are nearly parallel with stock curves, car idles fine, and car is a total monster on road, especially where the stock car felt like it needed the most help, which is above 5k rpm's. The sport button still works with their ECU and it actually feels to me like they mapped it to be smoother than the stock throttle response when the sport button is pushed. I'm in Fairfield County CT and for anyone considering this mod, I'd be happt to try to meet up and let you see for yourself the amazing results. Will post more details when I have more time. Running to take my 22mo old to the park! Thanks to Kip and the guys at Farnbacher for total transformation of my car, while retaining all of the factory looks and features.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely looking forward to some dyno charts and pictures.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely looking forward to some dyno charts and pictures.
+1. Also interested in your impressions regarding the sound from the Farnbacher exhaust.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw their ad in Panorama for this kit, just today. Certainly much more cost-effective than X51...but am wondering if the ECU flash voids the warranty - did you discuss this with them?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

What was the delta between the before/after results? You mentioned the after, but not the before (except that they were within +/- 2 hp in consistency).
Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a nice mod. Thanks for sharing your intial impressions. Hope to hear more as you put more miles on the car.

Definitely a mod I would consider.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Power Kit Plus

Andy,

I was at Tech Tactics held once again at FBL and they did cover this Power Kit Plus for late model Porsche.

From what I did see and hear (on the orange GT3/RS) the exhaust and the ECU reflash, this may be one great item for those looking at the X51 checkbox.

I'm wondering why they didn't also install a new "updated" plenum in place of the stock when they do the X51 type airbox. I'd say that also would add a good amount of HP around from what I hear, 20-26 extra from this plenum. Have yet to really verify such a claim, so I cannot say it does what they claim on these plenums.

However, the FBL Power Kit Plus still shows to be a winner. Add a set of Bilstien Damtronics to adjust the ride height, and PASM tweeks to get it the way you want and that would be one ultimate kit!

One of these days, I really should have them do this... It's just time and money now stopping me. Economy has not been kind to me at all.

I'm glad you got the opportunity to have it done. I too just could not justify 17K for only 26hp so I passed on the X51 option as well. I'd rather put it into things I really wanted ( Ceramic Brakes, Aerokit, PSE etc) and add the 26hp later. Sure, I'd love to have the revised heads and cams etc from a X51.

FBL does some very high quality work from what I personally viewed and those that I spoke to on their experience with the work performed. Basicly, it's like having you very own racing crew at your disposal. And from a team that wins at race day as well. Nice clean shop, state-of-the-art equipment, great people who eat, sleep, drink Porsche.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

We're a bit tighter on emissions in California. I suspect there is a clause on this kit "not for use on highways in California..."
Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

remember, the X-51 gets you sport exhaust + warranty. Glad I have mine, but this may be a good alternative for those who didn't get it from the factory.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

FBL also provides warranty on the system and engine. Andy can you add how long the additional warranty is for the Powerkit?

I don't remember for how long, but they do stand behind their products and workmanship.

I know I'd love to have X51 as an engine.

Deanski
Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SAW AD

Originally Posted by awilks
Wanted to post my intial review of my Power Plus package in my 07 C4S. Simply amazing! I am totally blown away with the transformation. I test drove a C2S w/ X51 in fall of 2006, before ordering my car, and posted my opinion then. In a nutshell, I did not feel nearly enough of a difference for me to warrant the nearly 17k cost of the option. The one noticeable improvement I did feel back then, and something I noticed when driving my stock C4S, was the dead feeling of my car above 5500 rpm's as if it were starved for air. Well, I let Kip at Farnbacher install the X51 airbox, their proprietary ECU, and their custom full exhaust. Total cost of this work was aprox 10k and given the results I cannot say enough about the improvement both on paper, and more importantly on the road. I will post a follow-up with dyno charts if I can figure out how to post them, and couple of pix, but wanted to just post my initial feedback for now. They did pre work dyno, and #'s were within +/- 2 HP and Ft/lb's of torque, they did a dyno after the airbox, then again after the airbox and ECU, then finally with exhaust installed and tuned. HP 392.2HP, Torque 334 ft/lb! Both curves are nearly parallel with stock curves, car idles fine, and car is a total monster on road, especially where the stock car felt like it needed the most help, which is above 5k rpm's. The sport button still works with their ECU and it actually feels to me like they mapped it to be smoother than the stock throttle response when the sport button is pushed. I'm in Fairfield County CT and for anyone considering this mod, I'd be happt to try to meet up and let you see for yourself the amazing results. Will post more details when I have more time. Running to take my 22mo old to the park! Thanks to Kip and the guys at Farnbacher for total transformation of my car, while retaining all of the factory looks and features.
I saw their ad and was intrigued.
I have two questions:
(1) Does their kit void any aspects of the Porsche warranty?
(2) How loud is their exhaust??
TIA,
Mr. B
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

-as far as the plenum goes, I don't want to stir up any current owners, and it was a mod I actually considered doing, but after speaking to Kip I was convinced it didn't offer the claimed HP increase. I was convinced by the time I pulled the trigger that the reason FL is able to gain nearly 4X the Torque improvement of the X51 and an additional 10+HP is due in large part to the ability of their ECU to work with the intake and their proprietary exhaust. It makes sense to me and I'm no engineer, but changing the way air is funnelled by the plenum design, without actually having ability to bring more air into the engine (the X51 dual intake), processing the additional air and fuel (via their ECU), and then exhausting everything more efficiently via their exhuast, a plennum by itself would seem to have limited impact. Farnbacher uses all of their Porsche racing experience and engine development in their products, and I've heard they have actually had Porsche factory reps at their facility to share in some of their work. I can't verify that but as I sadi I'm totally blown away by the results. The before/after feel of my car is far beyond what I experienced when test driving the X51 optioned car.
-I honestly do not know the specifics of the voiding of my Porsche warranty. I do know that FL's ECU can be changed back to stock programming with no ability to trace that it was used. It does not change the rev limiter range, the X51 intake is factory, and their exhaust, like other high end systems like AWE won't void any engine warranties as far as I know. I trust not only the FL work, but the integrity and stength of the 997 engine to handle the power increases.
-The +/- 2 I was referring to was the fact that when FL did my initial Dyno, the results were nearly exactly what factory #'s as advirtised: 355hp and 295ft/lb torque
-as far as the exhaust I like the looks of their tips, which you can see on their website. Basically, 2 equal diameter round tips in a nice polished finish which look very stock in the rear valence. I had my sports exhaust unplugged 100% of the time, and I really love that result. The one thing I'm still getting used to with FL exhaust is that it does not have the same raspy sound as the factory sports exhaust did, which to me sounded a lot like a cup car. Overall, even withe the 200 cell cats, it is slightly quieter overall than my stock set-up (which I am keeping along with all of the other stuff they took off). On the highway, I actually like the FL version as the reduced noise is nice for cruising long distance, and when I get on the throttle hard, I can actually hear the X51 intake sucking air into the engine now. Around town I do miss the slightly louder and more crisp, raspy sound of the sports exhuast.
-I'm around on and off this weekend, happy to try to meet anyone locally who is seriously considering these mods, as I kow it's a lot of money, and it would have helped my decision being able to see/feel the results first. The car is stealthy, torque monster on the road and feels like something I first imagined, but failed to realize, when I test drove the X51 package.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Andy!

I spoke to both Kip and Roger over at FBL on the Power Kit for my 06 C2S and they too said it would make a much needed improvement.

Maybe when I have them do the front Aerokit screens I can see if it can be done. That's if I have an extra 10K avalible..

I too love the sound of the PSE. One member had the PSE with 200 cell cats and it was much better sounding at high RPM's than stock cats. I did hear one of the FBL exhausts, but it was on a GT3/RS, still sounded god at high revs.

For those of us on the east coast, this is the answer to those looking for more power.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awilks,

Those are very impressive results. I'm curious what correction factor was used to arrive at the horsepower and torque figures. Or, was the engine removed and run on an engine dyno?

I posted my dyno runs a while back. They were performed on an DynaPack 3000 chasis dyno that bolts to the rear hubs (as opposed to the rolling drum type dynos). The results at the rear wheels were 337hp and 287tq. Using the generally accepted 15% drivetrain loss correction factor, that suggests 396hp and 337tq at the crankshaft.

If the mods to your car are limited to X51 airbox, ECU reflash, full exhaust system and 200cel cats, that's all the more impressive. Does FL have X51 dyno sheets to compare with yours? That would be very interesting. I'd also like to know what they could do with an X51 engine. I'll bet they have data already on X51 with cats and a reflash.

MC

Last edited by H20NOO; 03-25-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
marine8541
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Holli82
remember, the X-51 gets you sport exhaust + warranty. Glad I have mine, but this may be a good alternative for those who didn't get it from the factory.
What about the larger exhaust valves and complete intake? Not just the air filter housing.

Quick Reply: Farnbacher Loles Power Plus > X51