Sponsored by:

OT: Anybody NOT want a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had a desire for such a ostentatious automobile.

The reliability of the P car is unsurpassed!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, ever-so-slightly, looked into one before I decided on my Porsche (which got here today, hurray - more on that later).

But honestly, I couldn't see myself ever driving one. It is FAR too ostentatious for MY taste. As much as I could try to convince myself that it's my car and I'm not either buying it (or not buying it) depending on what someone else thinks, I just can't see myself driving one to and fro each day without appearing "showoffy".

Please - this is not at all meant to insult anyone who owns and drives a Ferrarri - absolutely to each his own. I am not making any judgments on anyone else. This is just how I would feel.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

There are some Ferraris I'd love to have...BB512i, 330GTC, and 360CS, to name a few. Here's hoping the economy will bring prices down far enough to justify a purchase...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There are some Ferraris I'd love to have...BB512i, 330GTC, and 360CS, to name a few. Here's hoping the economy will bring prices down far enough to justify a purchase...

Don't count on the GTC or BB coming down. The 360 will drop like a rock.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

288 GTO, 550 Maranello/575M, 365 GTS/4, 275 GTB/4

If I had the coin and the ***** to part with (_x) $100large for one of the above by all means.

Replace a Porsche. Never.

I used to think I'd never want a Ferrari. Maybe someday.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ImaReallyCheapGuy
Don't count on the GTC or BB coming down. The 360 will drop like a rock.
Boxers have been hovering around $100k for a long time. They've crept up to $120-130k for pristine 1984 examples the last couple years, but I could see them coming back down. They are somewhat unloved.

I doubt the 360CS (Challenge Stradale) will "drop like a rock". I certainly hope it does, but I sincerely doubt it.

Old V12s will never be cheap, but unlike the Daytona and Lusso for examples, the GTC is something I might be able to justify at some point if the timing/market is right. If not, oh well...plenty of great cars to choose from once you consider spending $150k+
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I have been there. I keep my limit on $100k for a car and I spent near that on my last F car. It was truly everything that everyone said it would be. Nothing like driving and hearing YOUR Ferrari. However, the service and fear that I would break something very very expensive brought me back home to Porsche.

My buddy had his F1 transmission pump go out on his 360 and the repair bill was $16k. I just don't play in that sandbox.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ferrari is all about one thing, and one thing only, the "total driving experince" (sure, it's got some panache, but, well, it's Italian, what do you expect?). As far as just "pure driving experience", the 328 beats my 997S hands down. It's as practical as any toy is.

The 997 is a better/easier car in every other way a car can be.

The depreciation on the 997 drawfs the maintence costs of my ferrari.

(Don't get one if you don't want to talk to everyone you meet)
Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 460 Posts

288GTO.....This is the car that got me into cars. Would I like to own one? OF COURSE!!!!!.... As long as someone else pays the bills! Previous post finishes with......as long as its within warranty. Exactly! Ferraris are the "Holy Grail", at least in my limited world, why wreck the dream with reality?
Tim.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 AM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Boxers have been hovering around $100k for a long time. They've crept up to $120-130k for pristine 1984 examples the last couple years, but I could see them coming back down. They are somewhat unloved.

I doubt the 360CS (Challenge Stradale) will "drop like a rock". I certainly hope it does, but I sincerely doubt it.

Old V12s will never be cheap, but unlike the Daytona and Lusso for examples, the GTC is something I might be able to justify at some point if the timing/market is right. If not, oh well...plenty of great cars to choose from once you consider spending $150k+
GTCs are strong.

3 years ago I sent deposits of $95k, $105k and $118k on 3 separate GTCs all of which failed their PPIS. Sadly, those were very nice cars and would be between $225k and $300k now.

I wrote an article about the experience of not buying these cars here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/velostrad...0Paralysis.pdf

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
question: For one month ownership, Ferrari or Jessica Alba?
No brainer... Fcar 100% and purchase fantastic 4 in bluray

Originally Posted by QKENUFF
Unknowns to me...??

We must be from different generations... Do any of these girls look like Mary-Ann or Ginger?
I guess Molly Sims could pass for a modern day Ginger and Megan Fox for Mary-Ann...

THat pic of Molly doesnt do her justice, check her out on the tv show Las Vegas
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I do not mean to insult anyone, but I have never met a true lover of cars that would not want to own a Ferrari. It does seem strange that that there are so many of you who either know very little about Ferrari's, or are saying you would never want one without ever driving a modern Ferrari. Spend some time in a 430 ( and have the money to buy one), and then say you would not want one. I am not saying that it would be an either Porsche or Ferrari choice, I'm saying if you could have both.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not mean to insult anyone, but I have never met a true lover of cars that would not want to own a Ferrari.
The intent of my original post was not to imply that Ferraris are not amazing vehicles. They clearly are. I think that any true lover of cars would have to recognize that. Owning one, though, is a totally different story, in my opinion, and (money aside) it all comes down to personalities. I just can't envision opening my garage door and seeing a screaming red Ferrari sitting there, nor could I envision myself driving it around town.

If someone walked up to me today and handed me the keys to a brand new F430, I would drive it out to the country for the weekend and have the time of my life driving the hell out of it. And then on Monday morning I would trade it and buy a GT3. And by that I mean no offense to the marque itself or the people who own them. It's just a difference of opinion.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

If money were no object & I had one choice only-Porsche. As for knowing Ferraris, my mum had one for a very brief period in the late 70's. Not a bad car, great sound & feel; but to each his own I suppose.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

If I won the lottery I wouldn't even get home from picking up my check without stopping at the Ferrari dealer.

Quick Reply: OT: Anybody NOT want a Ferrari?