Sponsored by:

OT: Anybody NOT want a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Anybody NOT want a Ferrari?

I've seen a lot of folks around here and on other boards say that they hope to own a Ferrari someday, or that they always dreamed of getting one (if they already have it), etc., etc. While I recognize that they are beautiful cars, and that they are probably incredible performers, I would never want one in my garage. The inability to rely on it, coupled with the "image," and the purportedly abysmal customer-dealer relationships are all huge turnoffs for me. I like to be able to drive my P-car to work everyday. I like being able to drive down the street without people pulling out their camera phones. And I like being able to walk into the dealership and be treated as a valued customer.

I grew up admiring Ferraris, and wishing I had a Porsche (a 964 cab, to be exact).

Anybody share this view? Or am I just too lacking in cultural refinement to understand Ferrari's towering automotive mastery?

NB: I'm not familiar with the rules of posting OT, uh, topics, so if this is somehow a faux pas please excuse me.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with my 911 - my next car will very likely be another 911. I see no reason why I would want a 430 or a 612, but...a 599 would be an interesting car to own. And I have no interest in owning any one of Ferrucio's finest.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the Ferrari service intervals and service costs offensive. Cars should not be engineered to require so much expensive work. That said, if I had a tremendous amount of money, I might want one, but more likely a classic becuase I find the historical value of the old cars quite appealing. I really enjoy seeing them at Pebble Beach, other concours and auctions.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

happy with my 911. To each his own.

May rent one for a weekend but have no desire to own.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I can't afford a Ferrari. I actually like to drive my sports cars so unless something significant changes in Ferrari reliability I will drive Porsches another 34 years.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I can't afford a Ferrari. I actually like to drive my sports cars so unless something significant changes in Ferrari reliability I will drive Porsches another 34 years.
How much (driving) life span are you giving yourself??!!

I have always had some desire to have a Ferrari - I think you have to admit they are sexy and almost worth it for the sound alone. If I had BIG money to burn, I would probably get one, at least once for a while. But I think I will ALWAYS want a Porsche as my #1 driving car - hard to beat given their performance, reliability and all the other wonderful traits. Now that I have a 356 too (something I wanted for about 40 years), my thoughts turn to filling in the middle with various other incarnations of 911's.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I have no desire to own a Ferrari in my current financial state however if somebody handed me 2-3 hundred million I might find a place in my heart for one after I completed my Porsche collection.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A Ferrari is not a car I lust after... I was much more interested in the CGT than the Enzo when they were contemporaries. If I was ridiculously rich, I'd bypass a Ferrari and go straight to Pagani.

That said, if someone were to offer me a nice 550M, 360 Spider, or 430 Scud, who am I to turn it down?

My biggest lust is for Aston Martin... just so gorgeous. I don't care if they're not the fastest, etc. They look and feel amazing.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The Ferrari is a must buy for anyone that is a car enthusiast and of course has the money to buy one. Although there are many older Ferraris that can be bought for under $100K, the maintenace is steep. My brother owned a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena which I drove on a couple of occassions, and it is without a doubt the most awesome car that I've ever had the pleasure of driving. It looked great, sounded fabulous, and was an awesome performer, especially by 1999 standards. Of course if you want to own a unique car, the Ferrai is the choice since it's highly unlikely that you will see another on the road while driving yours, unless you live in a place live Beverly Hills.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No desire for a Ferrari here. My brother has had two of them and gone back to Porsche.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

My relationship is as good or better with my Ferrari Dealer, and FNA has been very easy to deal with and my Ferrari's (at least the 01 cars and up), have been just as reliable as my Porsche's of the same years. As far as images goes, I do not drive cars for that reason, I drive them because I enjoy them. I looked at the 612 before I bought my M6, liked the M6 better, still do.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I like looking at them. They really are work of art. I however have little interest in owning a car that I would feel guilty putting mileage on and cry every time it required routine service.

I guess my answer is "I'm not interested in it because realistically I can't afford it."
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, a modern day Ferrari is built to be as reliable as any other high performance car. No more engine-out service, etc. This myth that these cars fall apart or need an engine re-build every couple of hundred miles is nonsense.

While most F-car owners don't put a lot of miles on their cars, there are PLENTY of guys on Fchat who have BIG miles on their F430's and use them as DD's. The cost of ownership while in warranty is not outrageous.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

i wouldn't own one just like i wouldn't want to date a hot model because she's probably too high maintenance. c'mon! if you remotely care about 4 wheels and performance, if you could, you would.... let's be honest.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Never had the desire to want one, I don't pretend to know them, and I am never envious of the people that own them. I saw one on the road last night and thought wow kind of early (in the year) to be driving a Ferrari as if it were a motorcycle. My Porsche has been out almost every day this winter!

Quick Reply: OT: Anybody NOT want a Ferrari?