Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When buying long distance, any things one should know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When buying long distance, any things one should know?

Looking very seriously at a car that is on the boat and due to arrive at the dealer on Monday or Tuesday.

The car would be put on a flatbed and driven ~125 miles to my home after the dealer does the PPI and preps/details the car.

Anything I should look out for? Any additional terms I should put in the purchase order before signing it?

Obviously I have no way of seeing or inspecting the car in person, once I send the check and then they send the car, I am pretty much going on faith that the car is OK. I am somewhat heartened by the fact that the car is not at the dealer yet so it will not have been test driven by a customer, or had a chance to be messed with.

I'm just looking for anything else I can do to protect myself and would appreciate feedback from those experienced in buying remotely.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

if it's only 125 miles, you should go there and pick up the car in person.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
tkids
Pro

+1 pick it up, always pick it up.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Why cant you just go to the dealer and check it out when it gets there?
I would make sure that it is exactly what you want before you sign on the dotted line for some you havent seen.
Also, why the rush on closing the deal on a dealer ordered car? Most p-cars sit on the lot for months (dealer ordered of course) before they are sold esp. in the winter. And 125miles is not a long way to go. Also there are tons of 997 there to choose from so dont fret that this is the "one and only" one out there, its not.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Circe
Advanced

What happens if you see a scratch here, or a rubber weather strip that's off just a bit there, or a few drops of oil ? Will you still be willing to fork over a check for 80-90 grand then? Going to the dealeship during the day time and completely inspecting the entire car inside and out and then taking the car for a nice leisurely test ride is a must..or..well...highly recommended. If at that time something doesn't seem right, your money's still in your pocket and your old trusty ride knows the way home.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

p.s. If you buy, get a 4 wheel alignment immediately. I drove my 987S for 3500 miles and noticed the rears were completely worn while the fronts were mint. The dealer put the car on the rack and found the toe adjustment was out. Fortunately, Porshce sprung for a new set of rear tires. Lesson learned when I picked up my 911.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you absolutely can't get to the dealer, I would have it shipped via enclosed trailer, but that's just me. But, I would surely make every effort to see it before you take delivery. I bought mine long distance and didn't see it before I took delivery. There were a few cosmetic issues that I had repaired at the seller's expense.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharmat
Why cant you just go to the dealer and check it out when it gets there?
I would make sure that it is exactly what you want before you sign on the dotted line for some you havent seen.
Also, why the rush on closing the deal on a dealer ordered car? Most p-cars sit on the lot for months (dealer ordered of course) before they are sold esp. in the winter. And 125miles is not a long way to go. Also there are tons of 997 there to choose from so dont fret that this is the "one and only" one out there, its not.
I think that is the problem, He is not sure what he wants.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Just BUY one!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Speed
Pro

I'm in NYC and bought my '05 997S from a dealer in Cincinnati. I flew there and drove the car back 700 mi. Go, pick the car up and drive it!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Can anyone recommend a good reliable covered transport company? The dealer said his doesn't do such short trips.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Sure

InterCity or Horseless Carriage...used both many times
Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

125 MILES!!!My closest dealer is 160 miles away. Go pick up the car and drive it home.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Berkley
InterCity or Horseless Carriage...used both many times
Thank you. Do you recall roughly what the cost was? They both seem to have very good credentials. I wonder what they'd charge for a 125 mile trip.

To the folks who keep saying go pick it up, please understand that I can *not* do that. due to my schedule, end of story
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I bought my GT3 in Chicago and drove it back.

My buddy bought his 968 from Tulsa and we drove it back - 1765 miles.

125 is nothin'.

Go look at it.

Trust nothing the dealer says unless you verify.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,055 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
To the folks who keep saying go pick it up, please understand that I can *not* do that. due to my schedule, end of story
Just be happy you're still getting polite replies. You've made 167 posts over 90 days now asking for advice on how not to get screwed buying a 997, starting separate threads on one section of the car at a time. All of it aimed at making sure the car you're buying is PERFECT.

Wisely (in your case) you decided that nothing but new would satisfy and as your car is about to arrive you're starting yet another what-if thread about trucking companies because you refuse to take an afternoon off to pick up your $100K car a lousy 2 hour drive away.......?

No way I can take this endless handwringing of yours seriously anymore.....but best of luck whatever it is you're trying to do, i.e. actually buying a Porsche or just entertaining yourself in an unusual way.

Quick Reply: When buying long distance, any things one should know?