Sponsored by:

April Road & Track Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default April Road & Track Article

Just received my April R&T and found an article comparing a Carrera S to a GT3RS. Makes me question the accuracy of R&T articles when they claim the deletion of spare tire in the RS contributes to its 80 lb. weight reduction, and they claim a 0-60 of 4.1 sec for Carrera S (vs 3.9 for RS).
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Deletion of spare tire...too funny
They are spot on as far as the S being a more livable everyday drive

For others to read
THE ARTICLE
Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, they did not quite say that, they said the deletion of the spare tire PLUS the deletion of the rear seats contributed to the 80 lb. weight reduction.

Actual quote:

"The GT3 RS is about 80 lb. lighter, thanks in part to deleting the rear seats and replacing the spare tire with a small electric air compressor and tire sealant."
Old 02-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Wait, they did not quite say that, they said the deletion of the spare tire PLUS the deletion of the rear seats contributed to the 80 lb. weight reduction.

Actual quote:

"The GT3 RS is about 80 lb. lighter, thanks in part to deleting the rear seats and replacing the spare tire with a small electric air compressor and tire sealant."
Maybe you don't know that the Carrera S also has the air compressor and tire sealant in place of a spare tire. Sure, they're right about the GT3 saving weight with deletion of the rear seat, but the fact R&T would make such a gaffe about a "spare tire" calls the editors' credibility into question.

That said, automotive journalists are far more accurate about facts than journalists in general. I've been quoted several times for articles in the local paper and trade magazines, and have found that journalists routinely butcher the facts, often to the point of getting the heart of the story wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Deletion of spare tire...too funny
They are spot on as far as the S being a more livable everyday drive

For others to read
THE ARTICLE
That's true, but I don't believe that would be news to any serious potential GT3 buyer.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Just received my April R&T and found an article comparing a Carrera S to a GT3RS. Makes me question the accuracy of R&T articles when they claim the deletion of spare tire in the RS contributes to its 80 lb. weight reduction, and they claim a 0-60 of 4.1 sec for Carrera S (vs 3.9 for RS).
Actually the article says "is about 80 lb. lighter, thanks in part to"; thanks in part being the operative phase. Having said that, clearly the spare tire comment is wrong. The key component of the RS (compared to the GT3), the decals, actually increases weight by a few ounces. [My dear wife thinks that the decal-laden RS screams Ricer]

As for the 0-60 times, I'm not sure what the issue is. Those are not "claims" - they are the results of actual tests. In fact, R&T's last official roadtest of a 997 C2S resulted in a 3.9 second time (clearly that was one good running P-car - and sorely abused at the launch).
Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they are comparing it to the 996 GT3?

Some of the weight savings is due to the aluminum doors that the GT3 shares with the TT, because no way the rear seats weigh 80lbs. I mean, ****, the bottom cushions are only secured by velcro!

And for some reason, the aluminum makes the doors sound much nicer when slamming shut compared to my 997C2S. I'm sure it will trickle down to the rest of the 997 line.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish these guys would use the same tires when they do these tests! Rs vs street. Totally different.

Quick Reply: April Road & Track Article