Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gt3 front without wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Actually the stock 997S front is aerodynamically fine it is the rear that needs or down force at the track. *note Speed Koni Challange 997's
Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
Im never going to be going 180 but i do plan on a few track sessions. I just love the look of the gt3 front though but am not a fan of spoilers, even the small ones i love the simple rear end but i think the front just looks like a happy face and would like it more agressive.
I've pondered the same thing. Don't think aerodynamics is an issue but from some pictures posted here I'm not sold. The GT3 bumper is quite a bit lower and creates kind of a "snow plow" effect when mounted on a 997 with no other body mods. No need for the rear wing imo. but do I think you need side skirts to pull it all together. Here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=gt3+bumper
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
thanks for the info deanski, i actually like how the black lip looks on my white with black wheels. Its not the streat driving but i would like to ocasionally take it to the track, nothing serious though. Do you think it will be safe for this?
Yes, should be no issue. Most tracks you'll be in all different speeds, so unless you do not have one long as hell straight and push it fast, then you should be fine.

Just keep a spare lip, as you'll go through these depending on how fussy you are.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the front lip, you'll love the look. You'll never go fast enough in any DE event to find out if you need more wing. As Deanski said, unless you're driving NASCAR the car has plenty of wing. That's my car in the link above: (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=gt3+bumper) and I've cruised at 135 in that configuration and it handles perfectly.....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

According to Porsche, due to the bumper vent, the GT3 front produces actual downforce, not lift. At speed on track, the front end should stick a bit better than it does now.

I've seen a few 911's with the GT3 front only & it looked sweet!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Sure, Porsche does design these things for high speed track work or Autoban etc.

That said, for USA street use, let me give you a little insight.

With the Aerokit bumper and lip, be ready for the lip to hit steep inclines or exits from parking lots, driveways. Then there are speed bumps, oh these can also raise hell on the lip. No way of getting around it that's for sure.

My advise, keep the original lip, get a flat black GT3 lip for it as they are cheap. Trash that, replace and your good again.

So if you just want the look and plan not to be driving at some bat-out-of-hell speeds, then you should be fine.

Deanski
You can put a GT3 replaceable lip on a stock C2 or C4 front bumper? How does it mount?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajag
You can put a GT3 replaceable lip on a stock C2 or C4 front bumper? How does it mount?
Ah, no... It was to be read that I have the Aerokit and lower lip. If he goes the same route, remove and store the original lip, replace it with a GT3 lip.

No where did I say a GT3 lip can be attched to a "stock" bumper of a 997. That's unless you want the redneck version with pop-rivits and duct tape.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I wonder if you could on a stock bumper have some sort of a plastic or rubber molding placed on...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I wonder if you could on a stock bumper have some sort of a plastic or rubber molding placed on...
You can use a softer version of a product used for airdams, since all you want is the look.

Or, obtain a GT3 lip, then, have someone cut you the slots in the lower bumper area with a router so you can snap it in and than use quck disconnects for the two ends by the wheel wells.

Maybe I should take a picture of my original lip so you can see the tabs that lock into the cut outs in the Aerobumper.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

You can use a softer version of a product used for airdams, since all you want is the look.

Or, obtain a GT3 lip, then, have someone cut you the slots in the lower bumper area with a router so you can snap it in and than use quck disconnects for the two ends by the wheel wells.

Maybe I should take a picture of my original lip so you can see the tabs that lock into the cut outs in the Aerobumper.

Deanski
That would be good, without going to the dealership and crawling under cars in the showroom, I can't say I know what it all looks like.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
That would be good, without going to the dealership and crawling under cars in the showroom, I can't say I know what it all looks like.
No problem. I'll shoot it tomorrow AM and send you the pic via PM.

Or, if you're a member of RENNTECH, they have the actual install detail on it in the 997 thread.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

No problem. I'll shoot it tomorrow AM and send you the pic via PM.

Or, if you're a member of RENNTECH, they have the actual install detail on it in the 997 thread.

Deanski
oh no need to go to the trouble. Just curiousity getting the best of me.
Thank you for your offer however.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

It's no big deal. It's just sitting in the garage wall now. At least you can see it and how many tabs are on these things.

Renntech is a great site for all types of info including any TSB's from Porsche etc. Worth the membership in my view. Lauren posts quite a few detailed drawings/install tasks etc directly from Porsche. The one for the Aerokit retrofit is TSB 6658.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

I LOVE the GT3 front end. I say go for it.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I LOVE the GT3 front end. I say go for it.
I agree. I love the GT3 front. My view has always been no intercooler = no wing. Unless it is a GT3 or GT3 RS.

Quick Reply: gt3 front without wing